Friday, March 2, 2012

Style At Home: My Condo ~ Behind the Scene

Happy Friday everyone!  I am a little under the weather (yes I caught one of those cold bugs flying around and actually lost my voice), but it does not stop me from being over the moon excited about my feature in Style at Home!  Today, I'm thrilled to share with you these behind the scene footage that I've kept as top secrets for the past few months.

I love these two photos: they showcase the entirety of my living room.  However, it is no easy task for these two shoots to materialize.  It took Donna and Ann Marie patient, efforts, and talents to pull together the right dosage of lighting, accessories, and design elements.


Don't believe me, check out the "toys" that make these pictures possible.

Tip #1 for perfect picture: use as much natural sunlight as possible and ideally morning sun with an overcast sky.  This light is ideal as it is often softer and therefore, it won't be too harsh and washout the colors in the space.

Tip #2 for perfect picture: no flash!  Well at least not from my little cannon.  Donna brought along this professional flash that mimic natural sunlight.  Also turn the lights off your lamps as they tend to give off a yellow glare in photos.


Here is a fun fact from the shoot: what you see in the magazine is only a portion of the photos capture during the shoot.  This is me in my second outfit (a blue & white checker shirt) that is not in the magazine.  I love trying on different outfits.


Now let's head to the dining room.  I have never thought of putting this mid-century inspired lamp by Jonathan Adler on my console, and here is how Ann Marie taught me "Less is More".  This console has always been a challenging spot when it comes to decorating.  I am often stuck with no knowing what to do and ended up over-accessorizing.  As you can see, a couple of boxes and a statement lamp are all I need in this corner!

Same go for the dining table.  A series of vases at various heights creates visual interest, while the turquoise, hot pink, and lime green offer the pinch of colors to offset the collection of white potteries as backdrop.  


Tips #3 for perfect picture: Invest in a tripod and a remote switch.  These two items will help prevent blurred images from camera shake.  This is particularly critical, especially when you try to take picture in low light situation and avoid using flash.  

Now if your problem is the light being too strong, here is how Donna diffused the bright west light with this ground gadget.   

Now my sumptuous bedroom.  I love that Ann Marie picked my own custom pillows for the photo shoot.  Now I know which pillows to use in my bedroom!  I am also banana crazy about this sophisticated yellow vase with a basket weave motif Ann Marie brought for the shoot.  If anyone knows where I can get my hand on this one, please let me know.  


We also shot of a couple of options for this feature wall in the bedroom.  White linen with yellow grosgrain ribbon or acid green geometric pillow?  I think you know the answer by now.


Tip #4 for perfect picture: set the camera at eye level with the object you want to capture.  In this case, Donna is zooming in this little vignette next to my bed. And yes, to make room for the camera, my dresser was also half way out in the hallway :)

 

For the kitchen, Ann Marie kept accessories at minimal, and yet my kitchen feels cozy and loved.  I've learned a lot on how to showcase my kitchen during this photo shoot, and I can proudly say "my kitchen will never be the same".


Beautiful napkins, a few plates, and a delicious cake is all I need to dress the "bar".


Now here is real behind the scene footage.  With only 750 square feet to work with, all the props we need to make the spaces worthy for Style at Home have travelled from room to room as the shoot progressed.    


Fresh flowers are must have items, and so is this "instant replay centre".  Don't we all love the latest technology?


Before I say Happy Weekend to you all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Style at Home once again for this amazing experience.  I have never thought, even in my wildest dreams, that my own place would be printed in a magazine!

To add to my rejoice, my absolute design idol, Ms. Sarah Richardson, has congratulated me on her facebook page for this feature in Style At Home.  Check this out!


To celebrate my happiness with you all, I will giveaway a one year subscription of the Style at Home magazine to one lucky reader.  To enter, simply leave me a comment telling me what design element inspired you in this feature.  That is it and the winner will be announced on March 16th!

Happy Friday and enjoy the gorgeously warm weekend everyone!

30 comments:

  1. Congrats again Tim!!! And congrats on being mentioned by the lovely Sarah Richardson. How exciting :) Eek!
    Loved the behind the scenes action today...great post!

    My fav design element from your home was your fearless approach to wallpaper. I loooooove wallpaper; and, the ones you picked were bold and gutsy! It totally paid off - they're stunning installations and bring an abundance of cheer, pattern and pure delight. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I so thought it would be a bit too bold but it is such an amazing pattern and it's perfect for a dining room! LOVE it .... even after 3 years. You know how much I like to change things up :)

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic post Tim! These tips are sensational, and I love all the behind-the-scenes shots. For us design-mag nerds, it is SO cool to see what goes into the shot, what props are brought, and how everything is photographed. Your condo looks fabulous - I agree with Amy I am so inspired by your fearless approach to decorating. That blue wall in the living room is so great, of course the wallpaper and green rug in the dining room, and your pillows in the bedroom are amazing. Bravo!!! And how awesome for Sarah to post it - now people from all over the place must be checking out your site! Woo hoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm inspired by all the bold colours in your place. I've always been drawn to bright and cheery colours but have been afraid to use them in my own space. Now I'm inspired to buy some fun accent pieces and try some offbeat colour combinations. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bold and fun pieces are fantastic in any spaces... just make sure you have the right dosage and have enough neutral and solid to complete the look. Thx for stopping by Rachel!

      Delete
  4. My favourite design element would have to be your use of colour...it all flows so nicely, but isn't matchy-matchy; it's soothing in spots, but there are pops of colour that make the room feel fresh and exciting; and I like the colours and shades of colours you've chosen! Beautiful~~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats again Tim - and the mention from Sarah is amazing! I love the less is more styling of the dining room - when you have just what you need, that's all you need! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather!! that's so true!

      Delete
  6. I love the behind the scenes pictures and tips. I have to say that your approach to mixing patterns and colours always appears effortless. I still fall back into the habit of trying to make all the colours in a room match and then I end up with ho hum rooms. The fabrics on your bed alone could be a case study on how to do it well. You also constantly inspire me with the little moments in your house that you create. Every corner has been thought about and I love that. I know that you said you tend to over accessorize but I never see your place like that. Every piece always seems to have a purpose AND looks beautiful. You have a way with display!

    And yes, you need to find out where the team found that little yellow vase - LOVE!
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe .... M, you will no longer be allowed to make all the colors in a room matchy matchy! not if you and I go shop for fabrics together all the time!!

      Can't wait to see how your new project come together!

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed the article in Style at Home and reading your blog. I love your use of wallpapers, but the design element I'm most intrigued by right now is your use of the Pax wardrobe to create built-in storage in the bedroom. I need/want to do something similar in our small bedroom. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad I could help. It's a fun project and not that difficult to do. Love to see your project, send me some pictures :)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for sharing so many wonderful tips. I had read somewhere about an overcast sky being ideal for taking pictures. This crew certainly knows their stuff! My favorite element would be the incorporation of fresh flowers/nature in a picture or vignette. Something I often overlook myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite design element is you. The guy with the incredible talent at putting things together. The guy who can pull off big style with a few dollars and cents, and who takes his inspiration from (a certain other) but yet makes it his own. A guy who thrives not only on design, but also thrives on sharing it with others. A guy who gives thanks where due, admits mistakes and lessons learned and is there to help us when we make ours. I can not pick one element, so instead I pick you. the Designer behind it all. Keep up the great work my friend. We are all proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Scott!! I lost my words ... and you know that doesn't normally happen. Thanks so much for your encouragement, your supports, advices, and honest opinions. Couldn't have done it without your helps and your strikingly beautiful photography!

      Delete
  10. Scott, you and I appreciate the exact same element. Tim, the Designer.
    Congratulations Tim, what a wonderful experience and opportunity. How absolutely kind and loving of you to share it with all of us.
    The space is comforting and inviting with vivid statements of your talent and design vision. A true delight, thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where can I get that fabulous chrome"funky chandelier" ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ursula, the shop where I got the chandelier is no longer in business but I do have a ceiling mount version in white if you are interested.

      Delete
  12. I loved seeing the behing the scenes of the photo shoot. You have a great condo. Congrats on the feature & thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow You really have a cool place. Your condo interior shots was awesome! :)

    condominium makati

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favourite design element is the wallpaper (in bedroom and in dining room), it has completely changed my mind about wallpaper. I never thought I'd say that! But how easy it is really to change up? Is it just peel and stick technology these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,

      Wallpaper has certainly come a long way, both in design and technology. These wallpapers I picked are not peel and stick but the way they make papers these days, it wouldn't be difficult to remove one day if you do change your mind.

      The trick is to spend the time and make sure you do LOVE the pattern. Afterall, it's a small investment (paper + labour) and you don't want it to be a seasonal thing. I have been living with mine for a couple of years now and I'm totally crazy about them.

      Delete
  15. Holy smokes, a congrats from Sarah - yay! I love the small doses of pattern on your walls, a wallpaper feature on one wall!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow you have great style! Congrats on the feature! Well deserved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the feature! I saw a coffee table similar to yours in Chiasso a while ago and I loved it. Where did you get yours?

    In this feature, I am quite inspired by your bold use of colors found in your wallpaper. It really made a design statement!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! Loving your blog too!

      My coffee table is from Caban... a store no longer in business in Toronto. It was a great store!

      Delete
  18. Congrats, Tim! From Mark (the owner of the much-loved SR banquette and table you helped us find).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark! Would love to see them in your space. Send me some pictures :)

      Delete
  19. Wow, what a beautiful condo. Love the design, colors.. everything!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the feature! Love your style and the ambiance of the condo. Thanks Tim!

    ReplyDelete