Thursday, December 4, 2014

#ProjectDreamHome w/ Croma Design Inc.

Hello Thursday! Can't believe I will be in Germany and checking out the Christmas markets in less than 2 weeks.  Christmas is truly special in Europe (less shopping focused I find) and with every city square being transformed into a festive carnival, Germany is truly a dreamy place to be for the  holidays.

Speaking about heading to my dreamland for Christmas, the talented Ryan and Amy of Croma Design have given me an inspiring gift for this holiday season: a sensational kitchen plan for #ProjectDreamHome.

images via Croma Design
I have been a fan of Croma Design ever since I saw the feature of their Riverside Loft project in the Style at Home magazine.  So when Croma Design transformed Erin's kitchen into a spectacular chef-envy gourmet kitchen, I knew I have to work with the dynamic duos for my future home.  

images via Croma Design
Before I show you what Croma Design and yours truly have come up with, here is a quick reminder of what the builder has proposed.  I have made a few changes to streamline the layouts, functions, and flows in various spaces.  As for the kitchen, here are the key requirements on my wish list:

  • the longest, uninterrupted counter run possible
  • a multi-functional island that serves as the home of the microwave, the dining table for 2 - 4 people, and the buffet central when entertaining

As you can see, the builder's floor plan doesn't quite measure up.


Since #ProjectDreamHome is a pre-construction project and the builder has given me the flexibility to re-imagine the layout (within reasons), I now have the perfect opportunity to collaborate with Croma Design to sketch out the kitchen of my dreams!

Here is a game plan to my next kitchen with an efficient layout and a fine balance of style & function:


Now check out this contemporary kitchen that had me floored the moment I opened my email from Croma Design.  Smart layout of upper + lower cabinets to maximize closed storage (what Chris is after) and a stunning view from the living room, Ryan and Amy have nailed it in their first draft!

concept drawings courtesy of Croma Design
Another critical item on my wish list is a show stopping view the moment I walked into the main living space.  That means an open storage unit with treasure display capacity is key to the kitchen wall next to the master bedroom.

I initially thought that perhaps I could have an open display area at the corner (since it's a dead zone for functional cabinet anyway) and then continue with regular uppers.  Coma Design blew my mind with these floating shelves supported by metal rods hanging from the ceiling inspired by the gorgeous feature wall in the 2014 Princess Margaret Showhome designed by Brian Gluckstein.

concept drawings courtesy of Croma Design, inspiration image via Princess Margaret Show Home
As for that ultimate multi-functional island, since the builder is willing to move the plumbing from the main wall to the island, we are now able to pack the sink, the dishwasher, the microwave + a breakfast bar with seating for 3 all in one spot.

concept drawings courtesy of Croma Design
With the technical elements taken care of, I've turned my attention to the finishing touches. I know I am way early to brainstorm on the finer details but I simply couldn't help myself when I saw this sensational backsplash idea by Emily Henderson.

images via Emily Henderson
What an incredible makeover! A well detailed tile plan is required for a precise execution but since the tiles are large, it will take less time for the tiler to install and less grout lines for easy maintenance.

images via Emily Henderson
One huge bonus working with Croma Design is that Ryan and Amy totally read my mind and they came up with a palette that represents my aesthetic.  I know I want this space to be a bit more edgy, so I truly appreciate Ryan and Amy for pushing me outside of my comfort zone (a transitional look) to go for something more streamline and contemporary.

A couple of things I am debating at the moment: (1) oak floor in ash grey vs a mid-tone hardwood floor, (2) one quartz color throughout the entire kitchen vs using blizzard on the long counter and Calacatta Nuvo on the island.

What do you think?

hardwarecounterfloorshelvingfaucetpendantcabinets

I know I am a picky client when it comes to design finishes and it has been absolutely delightful working with Croma Design, especially when they presented me with the knobs and pulls that I had in mind for months (I am pretty sure I didn't tell them ahead of time) and offered me expert advices / evaluations on various options so I could materialize on my dream kitchen.

Croma Design offers clients with full design services and Croma Express kitchen design provides you with everything you need for your next kitchen renovation.  So whether you are planning to renovate your entire home or to re-imagine a space to better suit your needs, be sure to check out Croma Design.  I know I will be in touch with Ryan and Amy as we progress at #ProjectDreamHome. 

1 comment:

  1. Love how the new kitchen is looking already! We'll also be doing an open kitchen-living room for our new townhouse - great for entertaining! That marble backsplash idea is ingenious. I would guess it's more economical than a slab marble backsplash that I had in mind... and using the larger tiles would make cleaning easier than marble subway tiles. Sticking the gold trims in between makes for even less grout lines to clean! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete