Wednesday, November 19, 2014

#ProjectChris ~ Lighting Hunt

Hello Thursday! I have been trying hard to finish off the kitchen makeover at #ProjectChris and there is one element standing between me and the finish line: a pendant fixture over the kitchen island.

My initial thought was to install two individual pendants (or three), which is the stable for every beautifully designed kitchen I see in the magazines.  What is great about single pendants is that they offer the flexibility on custom spacing between the fixtures, and of course the choices on gorgeous single pendants are endless.  Here are some of my favourites:

images via Black Rooster Decor, 219 Shop, Bocci

Fabulous right? Well, let's get back my not so fabulous reality: my builder kitchen.  This style of fixture is quite common in new buildings and to be honest, it's actually not that bad.  With frosted glass and brushed nickel finish, this 3-in-1 fixture came out of the box and installed by the builder before I signed on the dotted line.

Unfortunately upon further inquiry to replace the fixture, it has come to my attention that the metal canopy has made an imprint on the textured ceiling, which means: it will be challenging to repair the ceiling once the existing lighting is removed without redoing the entire ceiling that runs from the foyer, the den, to the kitchen.

Don't you just love how a seemingly simple facelift turns into a bit of a "situation"?


I did have a plan when I started the makeover.  I have possession of a pair of original Tom Dixon glass bowl pendants and aren't they just absolutely perfect for my super handsome kitchen? One part light with one part dark, one part refined with one part rustic, and one part traditional with one part edgy, that's the lesson I picked up from Sarah's new book: Sarah's Style.

pendant image via Tom Dixon
I could get a canopy made and have the two Tom Dixon's pendants rewired as one.  But I am reluctant to alter Tom's original design.  Besides, I will probably have a place for them in the next condo.

So as my search continues, I spotted a pair of mid-century inspired pendants made out of vintage glass from oil lamps by Lia of Mod Pieces.  Amazing right?  Their fluid glass silhouette and sleek chrome hardware would work seamlessly with the chrome + lucite chandelier I installed in the adjacent living room.  Sadly the dimension of these pendants is slightly larger than what I am looking for.  But hey, if you are looking to make a stylish statement both to your home and to your phone, check out Mod Pieces!  I am loving these phone cases and hello pillow!

images via mod pieces
Just when I thought looking for a pendant with a canopy and the style I want is like locating the Holy Grail of the Lighting Universe, I've found Lambert & Fils.  This Montreal-based lighting company specializes in sleek, industrial fixtures that are so HOT that you would want one in your own home this winter!

Upon browsing through their website, I have narrowed down to a couple of possibilities.  Ladies and Gents, please meet Dot-Suspension.  I am crazy about its striking black and gold outfit and that sexy dish shade ... do I need to say more?  The Dot-Suspension comes in single and I will have to chat with Lambert & Fils if they could turn a pair into a fixture for my application.

images via Lambert & Fils

And then there is Antipode, a handsome fixture with a minimalist appeal.  I particularly like the spacing between the two lights, the fact that it's one fixture, and its stunning brushed brass finish.  I know this is a fixture I won't have to convince Chris to have over the island! Now I just have to make sure Lambert & Fils could make a canopy for me to go with the sexy Antipode.         

images via Lambert & Fils
So are you on a lighting hunt too? I would love to see some of your finds!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I like that Antipode twin light! I've also been on a lighting hunt lately.Scored two vintage Murano glass chandeliers and am still pinching myself. :) http://www.amdolcevita.com/2014/11/new-lights.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so jealous Michelle! amazing scores!!

      Delete