Friday, October 24, 2014

Style at Home: Black + White Stunners w/ Christine Dovey

Hello Friday! Are you ready for the weekend?  Ever since my shoes were stolen at the gym (well it was really only a few days, but it felt like weeks!), I have been super active hunting down a replacement pair.  I have some specifics in mind (color, style), and that just makes it a bit more challenging to land on an ideal pair, especially when I want them NOW!

The candidates I spotted so far were in black.  Perhaps I should take that as a sign and just roll with black.  Black is a classic that always looks sharp and polished against white right?

Speaking about black + white, the Style at Home Special Makeover Issue features two sensational makeovers by the lovely and talented Christine Dovey I absolutely love!

image via Style at Home
Christine is known for her feminine yet daring & edgy design aesthetics. I'd like to think of it as a classy lady who going to a rock concert.  Even though I tend to go for the streamline, mid-century look, I've found myself totally addicted to her work! Have you seen the Piano Room and #ProjectGreenbay?  #IDIED!

image via Christine Dovey 
image via Christine Dovey 
Yes ... Christine's space is luxe and effortlessly elegant, but I think it's the undeniable sense of confidence in her work that has kept me wanting more.  Believe in yourself and no appology when making a design statement!

Enough of me screaming "I love you Christine!", here is Christine's hip and stylish white living room.

image via Style at Home
Once pretty in pink, the freshly painted white walls now serve as the perfect backdrop to showcase Christine's vintage treasures, modern art collections, and a celebration of the sculptural beauty of her eclectic furniture pieces.  I love that Christine didn't trade in all her whimsical flair for this sleek modern personality bypass.  Check out that tension and visual impact resulting from the juxtaposition between the flirty pleated drapes & high drama animal motifs vs the tailored velvet sofa in black + a pair of iconic art deco chairs!

image via Style at Home
Something old, something new, and something totally unexpected, that's why Christine's living room is such a treat to the design savvy eyes.  That antique settee is absolutely divine and hello to that ultra modern painting in blush, plum, sky blue, and fuchsia (yes … the model is cute too)!
image via Style at Home

You have now seen what Christine can do with white, but wait until you see her ravishing and sumptous bedroom in black!

image via Style at Home
This is certainly not your everyday bedroom.  My own bedroom is bright and airy, while Chris' bedroom is more moody in grey.  It takes guts to paint your entire bedroom black and I am crazy about it!  The pair of antique mirrors echo the traditional elements such as the panel moulding and the antique settee, while sharply contrast against the contemporary bed and bedside tables.  They also help brighten up the room by capturing and reflecting natural light.   
To make matte black comes to life, Christine injected lots of white in her decorative elements.  My absolute favourite: the hand painted drapes by Hollie!  

image via Style at Home
Want to know how to create Christine's fearless signature look? Here is how from Style at Home!  Love the black & gold ceramic votives (available at Black Rooster Decor) and that zebra fun!!

image via Style at Home
Are you planning to makeover a room or you in your own home? Pick up your copy of the Style at Home Makeovers with Style this weekend and be inspired! 

  

6 comments:

  1. Ah Tim, thank you for the shout out. Hopefully I can create something wonderful for you too!
    www.thepinkzipper.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. for sure!! can't wait to find the perfect spot for your beautiful work!

      Delete
  2. Drama everywhere...so bold, so graphic, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? we should go check out the rooms in person!

      Delete
  3. You're just the absolute best, most supportive person in the world Tim. This post put the hugest of huge smiles on my face and is beyond appreciated. Thank you!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I just love your work Christine! Keep them coming!! xoxo

      Delete