Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Kitchen Island Inspirations w/ Sarah Richardson

Hello Tuesday! If you are following me on Instagram, you might have noticed I had a fantastic time with the Home Depot Blog Squad team (#HDBLOGSQUAD) at Terroni brain storming ideas on colors, kitchen, bathroom, and flooring.  What an inspiration group and I can't wait to work with the team on project in the upcoming year!


One of the topics we talked about was kitchen design.  From latest kitchen gadgets to timeless cabinet styles and colors, I am now ready to tackle the kitchen of my dreams ... on paper at least.  I know I am way early to start planning (since this kitchen of mine won't be built for another 3 years), but being proactive in ironing out a game plan at such early stage means the builder and the architect actually gave me the go ahead to alter their original kitchen layout (limited counter space + a dining zone) to an efficient / entertainment central hub.


So my plan is to pack the sink, dishwasher,microwave, and casual dining right all at the island.  Given the location of the island, it will likely be the first thing you will see as you walk toward the living space.  So it has to look airy and not a big visual block, meaning I want a mega-functional without being a giant in my open concept space.

So I have turned to Sarah for kitchen island inspirations, and that's what I want to share with you today.

Case Study no. 1: Country Living

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Compact in square footage but big on style and function, this kitchen at Sarah's country home is on top of my list.  I love all the extra storage built-in by the breakfast bar and how the extended storage on the left supported the marble overhang without the extra supporting brackets.

Another goal I try to achieve in my kitchen layout is to avoid seeing the fridge.  Sarah has tucked the counter-depth fridge on the side wall and has effectively made it "disappeared".  One thing to keep in mind here is that I will need to factor in clearance for the fridge doors/ drawers + traffic flow. 

The microwave is stored on the side wall as well ... definitely worth considering if I need to up my dining capacity at the island.   

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Case Study no. 2: Timeless Classics

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Similar design concept for the island but this kitchen layout will get me a larger island since I no longer need to consider clearance for the fridge.     

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Case Study no. 3: Fresh Country Kitchen 

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Of course I love the barnboard detail on the island (my inspiration for #ProjectChris) and the kitchen layout is pretty much what I have envisioned for my dream kitchen.  Casual dining capacity for this island configure is 2, because Sarah has put another dining area right next to kitchen.  I don't have the square footage to destinate a separate dining zone, so maximizing seating capacity is key for me. 

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Case Study no. 4: Raise the Bar 

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Country or city, these two islands both maximize on storage, offer seating for three, and come with multi-level surfaces for visual interest and to hide chaos in the kitchen.  This elevated serving counter concept is the one thing Chris has asked for to prevent splash issue specially now that I have proposed to move the sink to the island.       

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
I have also been thinking about how to create the elevated section without having the side profile looking like a "big block".  In this all time favourite kitchen of mine (Sarah's House 1), Sarah used two tall and narrow cabinets as her building blocks.  

Side note: love the glass doors and the open display shelves.

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Another brilliant kitchen with a raised breakfast bar.  I love the walnut accent, the backsplash, and hello bar stools!! 

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Now I maybe onto something: how about unique metal legs for support?  Perhaps a vintage piece on the left to keep the space looking airy while doing the tall, narrow cabinet on the right for storage.  Possible seating for 3 + storage, now this may just be it! 

I am also considering adding a little wine or cook book corner next to the fridge.  It doesn't take up a lot of space but probably reduce the risk that fridge door hitting the wall when Chris swings it wide open.  (I know … don't even ask me why is that a concern.

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Thanks Sarah for sharing with us many of your expertly designed and beautifully decorated spaces on TV and on Sarah Richardson Design.  Now if you want to learn more from Sarah and to have a go-to source right at home, you have got to pick up a copy of your Sarah Style!  It is available for pre-order now! Don't miss out on Sarah's book tour!


image via Sarah Richardson Design

1 comment:

  1. Tim,
    How exciting for you! Never to early to start planning, especially for a kitchen.
    Don't you own the actual bar stools from Sarah's House season 1? Are you going to be able to use them or do you have a different color scheme in mind?
    Sioux Rose

    ReplyDelete