Tuesday, September 16, 2014

East Coast Vacay ~ Tourist's Hotspots (Nova Scotia)

Hello Tuesday! I am finally back in town and man it sure is hard to get back to work after being away for two weeks of pure majestic sceneries from the East Coast of Canada.  I must have taken over 2,000 pictures on the tour and thought perhaps I should share them with you by topic.  For today, I am taking you to my favourite tourist hotspots in Nova Scotia.

When I mentioned my trip to Nova Scotia, everyone told me to visit Peggy's Cove.  I did a little google search prior to departure and thought, isn't it just a light house?  Well, it is not just your typical light house.  It is also a post office, the place for wedding pictures and receptions (I witnessed two weddings that day), and a meditative sanctuary for busy city dwellers to clear their minds as the powerful waves from the Atlantic Ocean crashed up against the rocks.    


Not too far from Peggy's Cove is a quaint historic town, Lunenburg, which was designated under United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) World Heritage Site in 1995.  Want to have a taste of British colonial settlement in Canada? You have to check out Lunenburg.  I had the best fish and chips + scallops in Lunenburg and will share the spot with you next week.



Travelling along the west coast of Nova Scotia from Halifax also landed us at Sherbrooke Village, where we got to exprience the lives of the earlier settlers in the late 19th century.  


From the pharmacy, the custom tailor (a suit for only $11.50 ... 150 years ago), the local print shops for  newspaper or blueberry pie recipe, to a jailhouse (oh yes, you could be in jail if you were caught drunk or speeding) and the general store filled with locally made goods or specially imported items, the village in the 1860s had it all. 

See that quilt in the lower left corner? I want it! Wonder how much it would be 150 years ago.



The imfamous Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is next and thanks Brittany for your tips, we spent 4 days (3 nights) in the area just to relax and enjoy the breathtaking views from many of the trails Cape Breton has to offer. 

Yes, we are talking about looking afar where the ocean meets the sky and sea birds stop by for friendly greetings.



We hiked a few trails and they were all incredible, but if you are tight on time and are looking for a relatively easy hike, skyline trail is where you want to be.  Isn't the view just magnificent?  


Here comes the bonus: the skyline trail is also known for its wildlife sightings.  Of course you were not supposed to "bother" them but you are allowed to take pictures.  Check out what I have spotted on my hike: mama moose and baby moose! 


If you are travelling from Cape Breton back to Halifax, I highly recommend you make a stop at the Fortress of Louisbourg.  Ok, I am a sucker for historical stories and Louisbourg is all about the lives of the Acadians in the 18th century and their constant struggle with the British.  Nonetheless, it is an exceptionally beautiful place to visit and learn about the lives of the early French settlers in Canada.



Fishery was the leading business back in the days and tonnes of salted fish were sent to France through this bright yellow gate more than 250 years ago.  Sheep, goats, chicken and geese, these are some of the lifestocks commonly found within the walls of the fortress. 


Of course the French musician is also super cute.


The fortress was severely distroyed after being captured twice by the British.  Luckily the Fortress of Louisbourg was designed as a site of historic significance and was partially reconstructed based on some of the original stonework and building records.

Let's take a moment to imagine the once vibrant and busy streets where the early settlers from France in search for a new life and people from neighbouring towns came to trade in this 3rd busiest ports in North America.


Before we leave Louisbourg, I have to share with you this adorable clip capturing this silly goose stretching its leg and wing. 


I enjoyed the many beautiful sunsets during my trip and White Point was my favourite spot of it all.  The stones, the low ground covering plants, and the crashing waves (strong wind too) connected with me.



And of course the many beaches were just the places to be on a bright sunny day.  This was just one of many moments where I simply relaxed at the beach watching the waves.


Before I go, we also have our winner for the Hudson's Bay smartphone case! Congrats Heather!! Please contact me with your information.


Happy Tuesday friends!

2 comments:

  1. Great photos Tim, glad you had such a good trip! I emailed you re phone case thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete