Thursday, August 28, 2014

Steven Gambrel ~ Manhattan Apartment

Hello Thursday! I have found myself to be more and more drawn to spaces that are splendid in architectural details, lavishly decorated with stunning furnishings + lighting fixtures, and rich in bold, vibrant colors.  So my heart skipped a beat (or maybe a few beats) when I saw this absolutely magnificent apartment in Manhattan by Steven Gambrel inspired by a glamourous bar at the Mayfair Hotel in London featured in the September Issue of ELLE DECOR!    

It is hard to believe this 5,000 square feet luxurious appartment was lacking architectural before Mr. Grambrel worked his magic to create this breathtaking master piece.  For a first impression, we have an incredible Venini chandelier paired with a high gloss ceiling in ink, amazing moulding details on the walls and ceiling, a custom diamond tufted bench with luxe velvet + exotic wood frame, and a sculpture on a marble stand as the ideal conversation piece. 

image via ELLE DECOR
The living room features a creative furniture layout to incorporate various functions in the space: lounging on the boho inspired tufted sofa, cozy corner with a timeless classic sectional for intimate conversations, and an antique desk and chair next to the window for light paper work. 

At first glance, this living room reads as a bright, colorful space.  But if you remove the pillows and other decoriative accents, it is actually a fairly neutral room.  Once again, if you are afraid to commit to bold vibrant colors but are dying to inject small doses in your home, use them as decorative accents!

image via ELLE DECOR
See my point? We have ochre, malachite green, and raspberry fuschia all in one shot.  Are your eyes also drawn to the sumptuous space in high gloss dark plum at the back? The art work in the adjorning room echos the vibrant accent colors in the living room.

image via ELLE DECOR
Wow ... and WOW! We have lacquered walls and ceiling in jaw dropping purple and red in the library!  The use of brass via the lighting fixtures (sconces, the chandelier, table lamps), and furniture pieces (side tables) is perfect as they just pop right off these delicious walls!  As if the walls are not daring enough, Mr. Gambrel also brought in a classic chesterfield upholstered in plush velvet in the shade of radiant orchid!

image via ELLE DECOR
The dining room and kitchen are up next, and they share a lighter palette of soft, creamy caramel and subdued, sophisticated grey.  The wall of built-ins with a combination of open and closed storage offer high style and practical spots to house the china.  The pop of orange via the dining table energizes the room and I love how it contrasts against the charcoal grey backdrop.

That vintage chandelier ... I DIED.


image via ELLE DECOR
This classic grey and white kitchen is brought to live with pops of orange (tie-in with the dining room), mod black and white details such as the graphic floor + an iconic chandelier by Serge Mouille, and do I spy a brass stove and apron sink?  

image via ELLE DECOR
Plum and orche, this room hits just the right note as we slowly say goodbye to the summer days.  My absolute favourites here: the pair of crystal lamps and the agate roman blind.  If you want to bring a little agate galore to your life, check out Tonic Living.

image via ELLE DECOR
The study and the vestibule both have a masculine vibe with an art deco flair thanks to the immaculate trim work and the vintage Italian console + Swedish chandelier.  For a glance the cabinet panels look like wood, they are actually silk wallcoverings!    

image via ELLE DECOR
Here comes the master bedroom.  Are we still in Manhattan? I thought I was in a country estate in southern France! The four-poster bed, the panel with nailhead details on the walls, the use of purple trim on the luxe creamy sink drapes, the art deco pedestal table, just to name a few ideas I am keeping in my notebook.

image via ELLE DECOR
Speaking about taking note, I am also on the hunt for ideas for a guest bathroom.  This powder room caught my eyes immediately with the deco inspired frosted door with polished chrome trim, black and white mable trim and panels on the lower half of the wall, and graphic showstopper on the floor.


image via ELLE DECOR
What do you think about this spectacular appartment designed and decorated by Steven Gambrel for a well-travelled couple? If this one is on the market for sale and I just won a lottery, this appartment is now SOLD ... to me! 

3 comments:

  1. I guess Steven Gambrel doesn't like white as much as I do. :) There's way too much going on in these rooms for me, but I do like some of the bright pieces of furniture like the orange dining table and orange side table in the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! I am usually not attracted to bold colors on walls but somehow this appartment did it for me! I just LOVE this place for all its graphic patterns and the layering of colors, texture, and furniture pieces from different era!

      Now I just need to win the lottery!

      Delete
  2. I think it's a bit overwhelming for me, but he does have some amazing pieces - that tufted sofa in the livingroom is super cool, and the kitchen is divine - I love the shelves across the windows and how they're filled with colourful objects.

    ReplyDelete