Wednesday, April 9, 2014

American Dream Builders w/ Nate Berkus ~ Week 3

Hello Wednesday! It is Week 3 with American Dream Builders and the competition is getting intense! With members eliminated in the past 2 weeks, Team Red desperately needed to win.  The transformations this week were incredible and both teams had made me very jealous of the lucky home owners!

images via American Dream Builders
This week is all about Spanish style homes and Team Red has definitely striked a home run at this bungalow.  I mean, how could you not fall in love with this stunning living room?  It is intimate, it is sophisticated, it is rich in architural references, and it's Dan's first interior room!  The tile and the chandelier are truly magnificent and they set the tone for the room.  The earth tone colour palette and the layering of different textures/ patterns work beautifully together in the space.     

images via American Dream Builders
I still can't believe the final fireplace design was a result of "we didn't get enough tiles".  Dan did an amazing job to come up with a solution that incorporates a stained fireplace mantel that feels authentic to the origin of the tile.  The craftsmanship on the tile cutting is just beyond.  Good luck trying to get a tiler to do the same in your own home. 

images via American Dream Builders
The antique brass hexagon table, the oil rubbed bronze chandelier, and the antique rug in a light blue and sand colorway just had me at hello.  The archway openings and the white painted beams on the ceiling are the exact design details needed to infuse "Spanish" into the space.   

images via American Dream Builders
The kitchen was completely resigned by Lukas and he has brought entertaining at home to a whole new level.  These tiles just put a smile on my face.  I adore the colours, patterns and they work seamlessly with the creamy white cabinet.  The dark dining table helps ground the space and to also give this traditional kitchen an edgy twist (a signature touch by Lukas).  Job Well Done!

images via American Dream Builders
Erin tackled three spaces here on top of her Project Manager role.  That's for sure a handful but she pulled it off beautifully in the bathroom, the girl's room, and the dining room.  You all know I am a wallpaper guy and so naturally I am in love with Erin.  I love how she picked a wallpaper that works with the exciting wall tiles in the bathroom.  I so thought I would just ripped them all out, but now I think these tiles actually work with the Spanish theme throughout the house. 

The dining room was not well received by the judges.  The judges thought it was too busy and not sure how some of the furntiure pieces reference to the other spaces.  For me, it's nice dining room and perhaps just need to edit down a little.  Still #BRAVO with only 5 short days and million tasks to accomplish. 

images via American Dream Builders
Here comes what I believe had won over the community judges: a dreamy outdoor oasis with multiple zones for entertaining + practical functionality.  The front of the house received a facelift with new landscaping and plant materials.  The backyard now has not one, not two, but three entertaining areas.  I love the stone patio with the low tufted seat cushions in mossy green, the fire pit, and of course that outdoor dining room!   

images via America Dream Builders
The star lights, the candle lights, the lanterns, who wouldn't want to be invited to this midsummer night dinner party? 

images via American Dream Builders
While we are checking out the outdoor spaces, here is Team Blue's transformation:

images via American Dream Builders
Not as elaborated as Team Red but it's cozy and has a country chic appeal.  I love the use of terracotta orange as accent to pop the overall green and white backdrop.  In this case, simple is simply refreshing.

images via American Dream Builders
The living room is the first space you see after stepping into the house and it's light, rich in textile interests, and charming thanks to the many shades of golden yellow.  I like the pops of black throughout the space and how it makes the TV seems less intrusive to the serene living room. 

images via American Dream Builders
Here is the other side of the living room and I am loving the vignette! The overall neutral palette is brought to life with that delicious red stool.  Hello to the pair of horse table lamp and a chaise in the room.  This particular tufted chaise is probably not my first choice, but I would love to have a chaise at #ProjectChris.  I don't think we have the space for one: we need a bigger house!

images via American Dream Builders
As project manager, Elaine ensured the entire house has a consistent palette as evidenced by the neutral kitchen and dining room.  The kitchen is calm and relaxed and I actually quite like the striped fabric as window coverings.  However, I do agree with the judges' comments (that it's safe but not enough "Spanish") and I find this kitchen not as memorable as the kitchen designed by Lukas. 

The dining room is intimate and I do like these golden chairs (though I can already hear Chris saying: are they comfortable?).  I also do like these asian portraits, but I am not too sure how they reference to the Spanish theme for the challenge. 

images via American Dream Builders
Nina's guest bedroom is just the place I want to be!  Who wouldn't want to visit a friend and be pampered by such a chic, beautiful room?  My favourites in this room are: the grasscloth wallpaper, the patterned drapes, the gorgeous table lamps, and the design details on the built-in bookcases.  

images via American Dream Builders
Want to learn how to strike gold on a dramatic yet affordable makeover? This fabric headboard/ canopy idea is simple, easy to do weekend DIY project with huge impact! Everything makes sense in the space from window treatment, lighting choices, the use of black accents, and of course to having the breakfast in bed.  #Brilliant Ideas Andrew!  

images via American Dream Builders
So what do you think about these rooms? Which one is your favourite and which one didn't catch your eyes? I would love to hear from you friends.  xo

2 comments:

  1. Great comments and descriptions you did thanks...beautiful rooms

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete