Friday, December 27, 2013

Happy Birthday to ME + New Year's Eve Party Ideas from Julie!

Hello Friday and today is my birthday!  I will be spending my day at the spa (love being pampered), enjoying a few glasses of bubbly champagne, and have a romantic dinner at a secret location (Chris hasn't told me where we are going yet … I hope he has it all sorted out by now).  I haven't done much shopping on #EuropeTrip.  Perhaps today is my day to be excused and "Shop 'til I Drop" will be the new slogan.  

image via 1 / 2 / 3 
With the new year approaches quickly, it is time to think about how to welcome the fun and exciting 2014.  Chris and I will be in Paris for new year's eve and I couldn't be more excited to celebrate the arrival of 2014 in the City of Light.  How romantic is that?!

For today, I have invited the beautiful and talented Julie of Elliven Studio to share with us her top favourite decor ideas for New Years Party.  If you are hosting party at home this new year's eve, this is the post you won't want to miss!

images via Elliven Studio
**********************

Hi everyone! I'm super excited to be here today to share some inspiration for your New Years party decor!
New Years for me is the one time of year that I know I can go all out glam when it comes to decor and of course, my outfit.  The more glitz and glamour the better and honestly, what can be more fun than that?!  But you definitely do want to take the time to pull the look together to keep your place looking fabulous and that's what I'm here to help you with today!

Start off by choosing a colour scheme & what look you want to achieve. I think New Years and sequins go hand in hand and I absolutely love the idea of using a sequin tablecloth.  If you aren't able to find a sequin runner or tablecloth, head on over to your favourite fabric store, they are most likely to have some sequin fabric that you can buy by the metre.  Depending on the length of your table, you may be able to get away with a single metre if you cut it in half lengthwise use it as a runner over a tablecloth.  Gold or glitter cutlery and crystal glasses will add the perfect finishing touch to your tablescape.
image via 1 / 2
If you're one of the lucky ones who has been able to get your hands on a stellar bar cart, now is the perfect time to put it to use!  Having a signature cocktail with all of the ingredients laid out along with instructions is always a great idea!  Or, you can premix it before hand and allow your guests to help themselves and replenish as needed.  If you don't have a bar cart (like me), any side table or console will do the trick!  Simply place it somewhere that it's easily accessible.  Or have a few different "drink stations" around the house if your guests will be throughout the home.
image 1 / 2
Keep your guests going strong by having finger food at the ready once dinner is over.  Anything that will allow them to continue to mingle with the other guests.  Again, making as much as you can before hand and simply reheating it or setting it out when it comes time to serve, the better!  No one wants to be stuck in the kitchen the entire night, it's New Years after all!  You can never have too many platters or serving trays, this is the time to dig them out and scatter them through the rooms so that your guests can easily help themselves.

image via 
For a special added touch, I absolutely love the idea of having your guests write their new years resolutions on pretty cards and clipping them to a gorgeous gold garland using mini wooden pins.  Dip the clips in glitter or place a strip of beautiful washi tape on one side or use a gold/silver marker for a festive look.

image via
Try to use what you have to keep those drinks cool if you don't have an ice bucket, if you can, go vintage!  There are so many fabulous vintage pieces that would make for great wine/champagne/drink coolers.  It's such a great way to add personality to your decor.  If there is snow out your back door, use it to keep your drinks well chilled instead of ice! 
image via
Lastly, chalkboard paint is a hot ticket item this year, you can use it to make food/drink labels & signs.  Wash and reuse for your next party or event!
image via 
Once you have your home all set up, get ready to enjoy the festivities. Place a few clocks around the house so that everyone knows what time it is and when to gather to countdown to the New Year!  And most of all, have fun!

images via 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9 / 10
Thanks so much for having me, Tim!
**********************

Aren't you just in love with this girl? I am crazy about the sequins idea and who doesn't love a glittery, sparkly confetti fun + champagne for New Years!  Thanks for sharing your top tips with us Julie! xoxo

Update:

I just need to share this with you: a birthday card from my in-laws.  Just lovely!



9 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Tim!! It's my birthday today too! From one December baby to another - wishing you a very happy birthday. Enjoy your day of being pampered. I'll be having champagne to celebrate later tonight too, I'll be sure to raise my glass to you in honour of our birthdays. Enjoy the rest of your Europe trip. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lesley and happy birthday to you too! What a day at the spa (so busy there) and maybe I will need to go back again before I leave for Paris on new year's eve! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Tim! Trust you are having a great time with Chris in Europe. All the best in 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, I hope you got double the presents for Xmas and Birthday not just rolled into one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, happy birthday to you! I hope that you have had a fabulous birthday weekend. Looking forward to toasting when you get back.
    xo
    M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone! Christmas + Birthday in Germany have been mind-blowingly fab! Love the family time and I totally don't want to leave! not even for Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for having me, Tim! So thrilled to hear that had a fabulous birthday! Looking forward to seeing you again, hopefully sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete