Monday, November 18, 2013

Weekend Fun ~ 11.17.2013

Hello Monday! How was your weekend friends? I was so excited to check out progress at #ProjectChris as the builder has fixed a few items in the bathroom including closing off the cheater door and rewiring lighting to accommodate a pair of wall sconces.  Everything, well … almost everything, went smoothly until I spotted the placement of the light boxes were slightly"closed-in", leaving me with approximately 24" - 26" for the mirror.  The vanity is 43" wide and I was totally dreaming about the potential of this fabulous octagon mirror I scored at HomeSense, especially after seeing this super chic bathroom by Sarah.

bathroom inspiration via Sarah Richardson Design
It's now a little late for me to ask the builder to fix it (again) and so I went to 219 Shop to find a mirror that's 24" - 26" wide and around 50" tall.  Chris has decided on a pair of these sconces by Thomas O'Brien for Visual Comfort (also available via 219 Shop), and here are three options I came up with.  If it was up to me, I would totally have my vanity looking more like a piece of furniture: a contemporary version in Option 1 (I may even have it "floating") or a classic statement in Option 3.  What I have inherited is Option 2 and I will have it sprayed Gray Owl (2137-60) or White Stone (2134-60).

There is also an issue with the placement the light switch in the foyer, which kills my idea of having the  striking Bunny Williams mirror above the dresser I found the other day.  I am glad that this mirror is only 24" wide, a perfect 54" tall, and the luxe royal blue works amazingly with the wallpaper.

images via mirrors/ sconces/ faucets/ wallpaper 
To take my builder basic vanity up a notch, I am dreaming a brushed brass toe kick.  It will certainly up the glam factor, and it is also a practical detail for Chris.

images via mirrorssconcesfaucetswallpaper / toe kick 

Another challenge Chris threw at me over the weekend was: will the goose neck design of the Odin faucet cause splash issue?  You have got to love engineers … the possibility of their questions are truly endless.  No offense!  So I went to Brizo for another look and found a classic, elegant alternative: Baliza.

I am still voting for Odin.  Which one is your favourite? 

images via Brizo 
Chris and I also didn't quite see it eye to eye on our rug choices. While I am loving the mod black & white graphic rug to set the tone for a dramatic living room, Chris is leaning toward the softer taupe alternative.  I do believe both options work with the fabric story (which I got a sign off on … thank god), but I just think the black & white version simply amplifies the many shades of blue that much louder.

We are keeping both for now and will decide once everything is in place.


My weekend did have an happy ending.  One thing both Chris and I agreed on is to use barn boards as accent in the space.  I am planning to clad barn boards on the island and also custom a sliding door for the walk-in closet.  Chris likes the island design by Sarah and I am loving the sleek, contemporary interpretation on the far right.  Fingers crossed! 

images via 1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6
Ok … it's time for me to drive back to Toronto.  See you Wednesday!

15 comments:

  1. This is fabulous, Tim. I love how you showcase the decision moments in a partnership and how everything needs to flow together to some extent. Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Igor!! It is a rather painful process!! I am so used to just making the call and now this German is determined to stay on the driver's seat! wish me luck!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of mix in some textural wooden barn doors into the contemporary look - great idea! Safe drive back to Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr! I can't wait to show you more too! and to see you and Igor in a few short weeks!

      Delete
  3. Hooray for progress! You and Chris are making great decisions. Looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jordana! So nice to see you on the weekend too! you will be seeing more of me for sure :)

      Delete
  4. Exciting project!! Looking good do far and your compromises will pay off for Chris's happiness in the long run :) he had to be comfy in his space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! After all, he will need to be comfortable in his place. He said today: no breakable in the entrance … and I was so going to put a nice table lamp on the dresser :(

      Delete
  5. All of this planning must be so exciting for you and Chris!! I'm loving your ideas for the bathroom. So are you going with the Bunny Williams mirror in the bath instead of the foyer? As for faucets, I'm with Chris on this one, I'm liking the more classic approach of the Baliza. My personal opinion on the high goose neck faucets is that they are better suited to a kitchen...That's just me ;)

    I'm enjoying all of your planning posts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I still have my heart set on the Odin … and yes, the blue Bunny Williams mirror is going to the bathroom! It is my splurge in the bathroom!

      Delete
  6. I love the addition of the kick plate in the bathroom with the sconces & the blue mirror is amazing! I like the more sleek faucet & I'm a lover of black & white area rugs. So there's my 2 cents! {www.thepinkzipper.blogspot.ca}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hollie! I will have to shop at your shop for pillows too!

      Delete
  7. wow....looking great ! I cannot wait to see the BIG reveal :) Decision making is tough sometimes, but it's all worth it at the end, isn't it? For anyone looking, I saw the same black and white rug at Oakville Trafalgar Dundas location today. It was not the right size for my space so I guess it wasn't meant to be....right? (please say yes ! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rug is stunning right? What size are you looking for? I will keep an eye for you when I see it next time :)

      Delete
  8. Aww, that's so nice of you to say. Thank you ! The rug is stunning, for sure. I think 8 by 10 rug is not the right size for our living room that's 11 by 17. Or is it....? If so then I may just have to start my car. LOL I think we need to go custom so that it covers the entire room. What are your thoughts on the size of a rug in a room? I know it's hard to say without knowing the furniture placement and what not... sorry to bother you with a question when you are already so busy!

    ReplyDelete