Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Real Potential w/ Sarah Richardson: Ameera & Ethan + Jennifer & Matt

Happy Wednesday! After a week of freezing cold weather, we are finally warming up slightly for all the trick or treat tomorrow evening.  I have a couple of parties to attend over the next couple of days, and hope I still fit into the outfits from a few years back.  Supersized me .. I HATE you!

Speaking about delicious food, Sarah has worked her magic in Week 6 of Real Potential to create a cottage inspired main floor overhaul with a spectacular gourmet kitchen. Ameera and Ethan have been "eating-in" at Ameera's family home ever since they started dating.  Soon to be married, the couple are eager to find their dream home that offers them the personal space they crave and a chef-worthy kitchen to start "the joy of cooking".

image via HGTV
House No. 2 is a semi-detached home in the perfect family neighbourhood.  The upper floor and basement are in good condition.  The real deal breaker in this case is the chopped up main floor with drop ceiling in the kitchen and terracotta tiles personalized with puppy's foot prints.  Ameera and Ethan couldn't visualize how the space could be transformed into a cozy and inviting entertaining central for family and friends.  With a leap of faith and $40,000 of reno budget, Sarah promised the couple a home of their dreams.

image via HGTV
From trapped to bright and airy, here is a cheerful open concept living, dining, cooking space I want for myself!

image via HGTV
Let's check out the living room.  Instead of ripping out the dated (slightly dirty) fireplace, Sarah embraced the original character of the home and refreshed the fireplace with a coat of creamy white paint.  This neutral focal point allows a cozy seating arrangement equipped with a tailored Lawren sofa  and a pair of comfy Coco Chairs.  A couple of vintage side tables/lamps, this living room is ready to welcome guests! 

Another tip I picked up from this episode: valence is a great window treatment alternative when you have shutters at windows!  By not having drapery panels hanging on either side of the window, there is now room for art work ... not to mention the money you can save once factoring in fabric + custom sewing.

image via HGTV
Moving on to the kitchen.  Honestly I have never seen a kitchen makeover by Sarah I don't like, and this one is exquisite!  I am crazy about the overall vintage cottage charm. The pair of mini wedding cake chandeliers, the salvaged corbel, the bead board detail at the island, and the mix of classic shaker style cabinet profile in creamy white + brass hardware, what is not to LOVE? 

image via HGTV
Other functional and attractive design solutions in this re-imagined main floor include a full wall of storage extended from the kitchen to the mudroom + causal bar dining for two + additional storage on the side.  CLEVER! 

Chris and I are planning to replace the counter top at #ProjectChris.  We may just add a couple of lower cabinets to up the storage capacity + achieve a deeper counter space.

image via HGTV
Cottage living is all about simple, casual elegance.  Here is how Sarah interprets country charm for Ameera & Ethan's city home: 

image via HGTV
Two of my favourite shots of this makeover: the front entrance (creamy cottage charm + stylish brass accents) + the gourmet kitchen.

image via HGTV
For Jennifer and Matt, they love their current home but with two fast growing boys, this beautiful family home is bursting at its seams.  Charm and character are of high priorities, so are spacious rooms and family friendly neighbourhoods.  House No. 1 certainly delivers on architectural details (I LOVE this house by the way), and the one thing Jennifer couldn't stand in the house (aside from the small kitchen) is the main bath, which she would be sharing with the boys.  

By stealing 3 feet from the adjacent bedroom and with $30,000 reno budget, this dated and cramped citrus inspired space is ready to be transformed into a spa-like escape.    

image via HGTV
I am mapping out a bathroom makeover at #ProjectChris and this fresh, crisp beauty is definitely going into my idea book.  The free standing tub, the brush nickel finish on the tub filler and faucet, the bead board detail, and a hit of serene floral as window treatment, which element is your favourite? 

image via HGTV
The space is tight and Sarah managed to fit in a full size vanity with double doors + 2 banks of drawers in this slightly white washed oak finish.  Paired with marble top, a round mirror, and a pair of art deco inspired sconces, this sensational vanity is certainly a key player in the room.

image via HGTV
For those who are looking for ways to introduce a mix of stones and want to play with patterns, here is a shower and floor plan I am so "borrowing" for my next bathroom redo! Too bad #ProjectChris does not have the space for a separate glass enclosed shower ... we will have it in the next house!  The greyish blue ocean palette is calming and sophisticated: a design direction I am heading toward in the bathroom makeover.  I am not allowed to re-think the tile work (since they are really all new and nothing wrong with them ... according to the German), I will turn my attention to wall treatment such as wallpaper/ panel options. 

image via HGTV
Are you dreaming a kitchen and bathroom makeovers? I am going to tackle both at #ProjectChris with all the tricks I have learned from the many inspiring transformations by Sarah.  What is your favourite design elements in this week's makeovers?

10 comments:

  1. I love fresh yellow accents for a kitchen space. We made-over our rental kitchen with yellow and it worked perfectly!

    Have fun at your Halloween parties - be sure to Instagram your outfits! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will have to share with us soon of your bright kitchen!! lots of inspiration here for Chris' new kitchen for sure!

      Delete
  2. Of course I adore both of these (Sarah can do no wrong in my book; well I'm still smarting a bit from the lavender living room on Sarah's House). Kitchens and baths, though, are where she really shines. And while I love all of her kitchens and would happily live in any of them, it is her skill with tile that never ceases to amaze me. She comes up with the most interesting tile layouts that are usually very budget friendly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely! I am attempting a tile play of my own at #ProjectChris too! Kitchen backsplash ... here I come!

      Delete
  3. Thank you, thank you, thank you for doing these recaps. The show is not being shown in the States (*tears*) and I was dying to see the transformations.The rooms look fabulous. if adore the cottage style kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad I can help! can't wait to share tomorrow's makeovers next Wednesday!

      Delete
  4. Hi Tim ! Just watched you on S & C, Great job :) Your place looks amazing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am so happy that it was well received! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Love Ameera and Ethan's kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of the tilework in the bathroom but for some reason the placement of the oval tub right adjacent to the wood vanity bothers me - it feels cramped.

    ReplyDelete