Friday, October 25, 2013

Real Potential w/ Sarah Richardson: Ann & Theo + Vanessa & Troy

Hello Friday! What I week I must say and sorry again for a slight delay on my recap on Real Potential. I had lots of fun with Steven & Chris chatting about my place on Wednesday (be sure to catch my segment on Wednesday October 30 at 2pm), and did our own version of "Real Potential" yesterday buying a brand new condo with a fantastic layout (more to come on that note).    

For Week 5, Sarah was on overdrive in helping 2 couples to see beyond the dated decor / awkward layouts, and to re-imagine the hidden potentials on their new and much larger home. I so wish Chris was shopping for a place when the casting call was on! #8MonthsTooLate

image via HGTV Canada
First up is Ann & Theo.  Ann has been looking to move since the day she moved into Theo's bachelor pad.  Now a mother of 2 young kids, she is more eager than ever to find her family a new place to call home.  Location is important and so is a large kitchen + family space for the kids to play.  

House No. 2 has a beautiful finished basement with everything this family is looking for.  The catch: a dated main floor with a cramped kitchen.  For $50,000, Sarah transformed this once tired family home (with great architectural details I must say) into a chic stylish home this young family is looking for.

image via HGTV Canada
Ann and Theo like to entertain and with this 2 sofas + 2 chairs (meets Oliver) layout, seating for 8 is a piece of cake.  In this living / dining room, I of course heart the dreamy grey & cream palette, and I also adore how Sarah jazz up the serene palette with a mod black & white hide and bright apple red accents.  The art deco styled fireplace, along with the stunning sightline from the living room to the dining room, are a couple of my favourite elements in the space.

Who doesn't want to be invited to this dinner party?  

image via HGTV Canada
Here comes the dream kitchen.  This is exactly what I would love to have at Chris' new place.  Two tones upper & lower cabinets, sexy hardware, pendants over the sink, intricate design on backsplash, the beautiful stone floor, and a fantastic view of the living room: I will have to "borrow" some of these ideas! I am smelling high gloss cabinet doors and killer pendants at #ProjectChris! 

image via HGTV Canada
Just as you thought this makeover is over ... well, not yet! Sarah also gave Ann and Theo a custom window bench + casual dining zone right by the bay window.  What a remarkable transformation of the entire main floor for $50K!! Now I am official jealous!

image via HGTV Canada
Jumping over to Vanessa and Troy.  The couple are the so-call "weekend lovers" where they live in their own places during the week and hangout only on the weekends (a lifestyle sounds a bit familiar to yours truly).  Combining their needs and tastes (Troy wants colors and Vanessa wants chandelier) are not an easy task, and I can attest to that as I am going through that myself right now!

House No. 1 has almost all the must-haves on the couple's list: a spa-like bathroom, a finished basement, a home office filled with light, and a spacious master bedroom.  The only spot in the house that scares the couple is the living/ dining zone + the foyer.  And Sarah agreed.

For $25,000, this once blah carpeted 1970s main floor is transformed into a stylish contemporary entertaining space.

image via HGTV Canada
A huge living room and I am lusting over the that coffee table by Rich Brilliant Willing! Wing backs pairing with poufs: what a modern take on a classic chair + stool combo.  The leafy motif on the drapery fabric brings nature indoor + adding the shot of color Troy craves for.   As for me, here are a few key elements I love in this makeover:

image via HGTV Canada
Chris and I are trying to work our aesthetics into his new place, and I think these are the three very elements that are close to Chris' heart.  The sculptural console naturally constructed by nature is a good way to set the tone.  Streamlined and tailored furniture pieces speak to Troy's liking of modern, masculine look, while the light and soft upholstery satisfies Vanessa's love of all things pretty.  Heart the fireplace transformation: carrara + walnut, this timeless classic gets me every time.    

image via HGTV Canada
Vanessa loves chandelier and Troy, not a big fan of the girly crystal ones.  So what did Sarah come up with you ask? A trio of intricate pendants for a new take of lighting option in the dining room.  Who says you can only use one lighting fixture over the dining table!  CLEVER!

image via HGTV Canada
Chris and I are doing some product sourcing this weekend (my favourite weekend activity).  I am sure it will be torturous for Chris as we are planning to check out lighting, tile, and faucet options.  If you want to have a sneak peek of what we like, be sure to follow along on Instagram.  I will be heading to a few of Sarah's favourite stores!

Happy weekend friends!

10 comments:

  1. I am really loving Sarah's new show. I miss the last 2 weeks, so thanks for the updates! And you will be on Steven and Chris? I hope you will put a link on your blog - since I work during that day and miss daytime TV!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will for sure Barb! It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to watch it next Wednesday! Happy weekend! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I watch RP online because I got rid of cable, and I just wish it showed MORE of the reno/decor portion and sped through the house hunting bit. The end results have all been fabulous this year, though I have a hard time believing the budget (I'm like that with Property Brothers as well). A gut reno of a main floor, kitchen reno and furniture for 50K seems unrealistic but hey - what do I know?! Anyways - love your recaps because then I know what episodes to go watch!

    Have a good weekend, Tim. (PS I heard you met a friend of mine at the gym!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so dreaming about the entire main floor reno for $50K too! I will be so happy to give them the $50K to redo it for me!

      Haven't seen you for a long time Janice! Hope all is good and you are ready for Halloween with the little one :)

      Yes ... love my gym buddy :)

      Delete
  3. I love all of the spaces Sarah has created on Real Potential, but I have to say these are my 2 most favourite, right up my alley! I will be tuning in on the 30th! {www.thepinkzipper.blogspot.ca}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah's kitchens and bathrooms always my favourite! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I may cut class to see your spot on Steven and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww. .. thanks! You can also catch it online afterward too :)

      Delete
  5. I agree with Janice - I wish there was more design talk and less real estate talk! But overall love the show. Great recap! Do you know if there is a source list for the first episode? I want that coffee table

    ReplyDelete
  6. great re-cap Tim. I missed the last two. can't wait to see your Steven & Chris appearance - congrats!

    ReplyDelete