Monday, September 9, 2013

#OutWestVacay ~ Wildlife Edition + Guest Post~ Dream Home @ Bijou and Boheme

Hello Monday! I truly do have mix feelings about today.  On the one hand I am happy to be back to this wonderful city I live in (especially with TIFF in town), but on the other hand, I wish I could stay on #OutWestVacay forever as I totally lucked out on above seasonal temperature + gorgeous sunshine at Calgary!  Jealous? I think you do ... I do too!


Over the past couple of weeks, I have been shooting up mini videos on Instagram of my wildlife encounters while  traveling through the Jasper, Yoho, and Banff National Parks.  I have never thought I would see a moose this up close and personal.  The funny thing is, I was actually stationed about 30 feet away from the moose and she just slowly walked toward me as she enjoyed her lunch (she was literally 5 feet in front of me at one point), completely not bothered by me and my photo snapping at all!


Here is a super cool video Chris took with loon calls as backdrop.  Can't get any better than that right?



Second big powerful friend is the elk.  In fact, we saw a group of them.  Here is the king and the queen of this herd.


A short clip of the female on one side:


Here comes the male charging over to mark his territory.


Off the side of the mountain, we also spotted a sheep family: mom, aunt, and pup to be exact.  Too bad we didn't get to see the Bighorn sheep, but I guess I can't really be too pushy when it comes to wildlife sighting.  After all, I did get mama sheep to give me a smile! 


Here is baby sheep following mom going under the bridge.  You can see another sheep video here!


Here comes the biggest misconception of all: Bears are wired to attack human.  Not true! Having sad that, I am not saying they won't attack you if you want to walk up close and personal for a cute picture. Bears are strong, powerful animals whose diet involve mainly berries and veggies.  They also like to have their space.  So if they hear you coming, they will likely walk away before you can spot them.

So be respectful if you do see one next time.  For more information about bears and other wildlife, please do check out the Lake Louise Interpretive centre.  For your information, this video was taken with our camera zoomed to the max, and we stayed inside the car while keeping a comfortable distance.

I have seen folks stepped out of their cars with the cameras hoping for a close-up shot.  Please don't do that my friends.  




Just as we thought we have seen it all, we also spotted wolf! That's right: wolf ... and not once, but twice!! How lucky were we right?




To wrap up this chapter of wildlife sighting, here is the super adorable chipmunk we met at the top of Little Beehive at Lake Louise.  Sorry for being a big tease to you little fella, but I want you all to know that we didn't feed him.  Neither should you, as these cutest little guys should maintain their natural diet and habitat.




If you are planning your own version of #OutWestVacay, check out this super information website.  I missed the mountain goats this time, and I am set to find you next time!  

And before I wrap up today's post, you have got to head over to Bijou and Boheme to check out my guest visit.  From my "Our Home" post, you already know I am in love with this woman.  I was so inspired that I have put together a dream home for Christine.  Check it out here.

images via

5 comments:

  1. You are absolutely the BEST! Thank you for such a glorious post Tim...you've sparkled up my blog with some serious gorgeous- so so appreciated!!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you like it C! I had you in mind when putting them together and now I want that space for myself!! Good luck to Chris on that!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for including our items in your fabulous post on B&B. Hope you had am amazing, restful holiday.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So amazing! I love all your wildlife sightings! Now I just need to convince my city man to take a hike with me, literally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome, Tim! I can't wait to get to BC and the Pacific Northwest soon!! Thanks so much for your postcard, it makes me impatient to get to Canada!!

    ReplyDelete