Friday, August 9, 2013

Small Space Ideas ~ House & Home Edition

Happy Friday! Don't you love a short week? Time truly flies over the last few days from jam packed meetings to media previews + fun evenings with friends.  I am totally ready to slow down for the next two days to enjoy the sunny weekend.

No house hunting in Waterloo this weekend ... however my mind is in research mode for brilliant ideas to maximize function, storage, and style at Chris' new place.  The thing is whether it is a condo or a house, the winner will likely have a small footprint.  The September Issue of House & Home Magazine surely comes in handy with lots of fantastic inspirations and today, I am sharing with you a few of my favourites.  

Laundry facility is often in the basement and with the sleek subway tile backsplash, gooseneck faucet in matte white pairing with stainless steel sink for an industrial vibe, waterfall style counter, and mod black + bright yellow accent, I can stay here and do laundry all day long!

Storage is high on Chris' must-have list and what's better than a full height, wall to wall, built-in cabinets to house everything you can imagine.  With a classic leather lounge chaise and an ultra contemporary gas fireplace, I think Chris will approve this idea in the den.

Herringbone pattern on bathroom floor for instant classic look + window bench at bay window for an ultimate sweet spot for morning coffee & sunday paper (well ... and yet another spot for me to add fabrics).  Checked!

images via House & Home
If kitchens sell houses, I was totally sold when I saw these two kitchens.  Though different in style, they  both offer me ideas on how to maximize counter space (Chris' top priority in kitchen) and how to balance open and closed storage.  

Have a galley kitchen? Try installing floating shelves as open storage for everyday items + it helps make the narrow space feels more open and airy.  The gas stove and the black windows also stole my heart.

A kitchen with not a lot of natural light?  Maximize it by bringing the shinny glass tiles all the way to the ceiling! These tiles add instant wow factor and they also help reflect light.   
  
images via House & Home
Loft is also a possibility and Chris mentioned he likes wood beams.  Here is an inspiration for an industrial chic look.  The mod black and white + cool grey palette is brought to life with hits of warmth via nature wood and the camel color leather sofa.  My personal favourite? The staircase, the use of wood panels as ceiling at the foyer + kitchen, and the sophisticated statement thanks to the white subway tiles with dark grout as backsplash.

images via House & Home
This NYC apartment is truly tiny but totally practical and high in style.  Love the double duty home office + floating shelves idea in the entrance, the regular size door chopped in half to accommodate the "double door" grand entrance to the bedroom, and I am most impressed by the amount of entertaining space in the living/ dining zone.  

Are you also crazy about all the brass accents? LOVE that lighting fixture!!  

images via House & Home
And of course when buying a new condo, the placement of the overhead lights are always ... maybe I say a bit "weird".  I can understand that the builder has intended to have a dining zone between the open concept kitchen and living zone.  This suggested layout maybe work for many, but not for Chris and I who hardly ever eat at the dining table.  I'd much rather have a larger island to incorporate a couple of bar stools and an extended living room for entertaining.

Not to be restrained by the pre-determined lighting plan and to ensure sufficient illumination is available for night time reading (and for ambience), I am also in the market for some sexy floor lamps and wall sconces.  Thanks to Margot for a fantastic lineup in the floor lamp department (love the wallpaper as well!) and House & Home for introducing me to the talented Samuel Lambert from Montreal.  I have a serious crush on those brass wall sconces.

images via House & Home
Before I send you all off to enjoy the beautiful weekend, we have got a winner for the Tonic Living giveaway!! Congratuation Pfulton!  Please email me here with your contact information and the gift card will be on its way to you!


Happy weekend friends!
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Tim are you planning a move to Waterloo? My hometown! I'm there all the time we will have to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tiffany! I am not planning to move to Waterloo just yet. Chris is looking so I am helping out. But yes, we should meet up for a little treasure hunting fun next time when I go to Waterloo. I will be there again likely next weekend :)

      Delete