Friday, August 2, 2013

New Adventure ~ ProjectAvenueRoad

Hello Friday! What is your plan for yet another bright sunny long weekend? Chris and I are off to a four days camping trip to ... somewhere up north I was told.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a nice breeze so the blood-sucking fellas won't be able to land on us when they are hungry.  Getting eaten alive or not, I am looking forward to a relaxing mini vacation.  Being totally off grid (for as long as my battery will last) and just sit on the rock to enjoy the beautiful scenery nature has to offer, I can't think of a more rejuvenating getaway to unwind my hectic city life.  

Before I head out for my trip, I want to share with you an exciting project I have been working on.  I call it: Project Avenue Road.  My friends from the university purchased this beautiful blank canvas not too long ago.  It is spacious, full of charming moulding/ panel details, and check out that floor!  The previous owners loved Restoration Hardware and hence, the Silver Sage + Right White walls and ceiling, and the place was filled with furniture from RH.


My friends also love RH and had initially thought they would just get a catalog and wait a few months for the showroom to arrive.  Well ... not if I am the one in charge!  Don't get me wrong, I do like pieces from RH.  I just don't want this gorgeous home (full of potential I must add) to fall victim of an one-stop catalog shop.  So when the couple asked me how I would furnish/ decorate the space, this is what came to my mind:

image via pillow, fabrics, art, sofa, wallpaper, lamp, white chair, rug, vintage chairs, benches 
I am loving this cream and blue palette with hits of glossy black, shinny brass, and delicious emerald green for a timeless, sophisticated, glamorous open concept living/ dining entertaining destination.  The tailored, streamlined Spencer sofa from Gus*Modern and Sweep armchair from West Elm give the room its contemporary vibe.  To play up the existing traditional architectural elements, I envision an injection of classic faux bamboo, Chinoiserie via a pair of faux bamboo armchairs, a delicious coffee table, and a couple of decorative pillows.  While a couple of elegant X-benches as eye candies + serve up extra seating in a breeze, the wallpaper is the perfect graphic accent in a narrow nook.  This super soft rug from West Elm add texture and comfort to this showstopper living/dining room.   

Another room I am asked to tackle is the media room.  Located at the back of the house, it benefits from the bright natural light and has the view of a serene garden.  It also has a fabulous fireplace and a mini office.  This is what my friends started off with. 


And this is what I am in mind:

image via wallpaper, peony fabric, lamp, ottoman, sofa, art, rug, fabrics
My jumping off point for the space is this stunning yacht photography from Trowbridge.  It speaks freedom and enhances the room's natural focal point: the fireplace.  Then I remembered my visit of Ralph Lauren Home at ABC Carpet in NYC, and I knew a rich, luxe sailboat aesthetic is what I dream for the space.   A charcoal grey tufted sectional from Gus*Modern, a brass floor lamp + side table, lusciously rich and soft leather ottoman from Pottery Barn, a graphic chevron rug from West Elm, my vision is firmly anchored.  To juxtapose against masculinity of the luxe sailboat sensibility, window covering will feature this gorgeous peony fabric from Caitlin Wilson Textiles, along with other muted and calming fabrics from Tonic Living.  I have yet to decide if I want a gallery wall around the TV.   To make it less "intrusive" in the space, I am installing this gold and cream wallpaper from Romo.  

Hope you like the ideas I put together, and now for those of you who are in the city, you should check out the Gus*Modern Summer Sale.     

image via
Got to run! Happy long weekend friends! 

5 comments:

  1. Totally envious at the sound of your weekend escape! Have an amazing time relaxing in nature with Chris! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your selections & I look forward to the progress updates & finished pictures. Tim, I want to ask you if you are interested in participating in my "25 Thing You Don't Know About Me Series"? It runs every Tuesday & has a different blogger sharing their "25 Things". It's been running for the last 9 weeks, so I am now lining up the next few weeks of guests. Are you interested? I would love to have you! Thanks Hollie {www.thepinkzipper.blogspot.ca}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your living room design board and I hope you found those puppy prints. I've been keeping an eye out for you but so far no luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to a comment on Will's blog I found your cool blog... Loving your ideas and a rich, luxury sailboat look is definitely a stunner for that room! Can't wait to see how it turns out! :-)
    Hugs, Inge x

    ReplyDelete