Monday, July 29, 2013

Weekend Fun ~ House Hunting Special

Hello Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was an action packed, back-to-back, non-stop house hunting marathon in Waterloo.  I am exhausted but I think Chris now knows more of what he is looking for and hope that will lead us a step closer to signing on the dotted line.  No offer has been drafted yet, but we have narrowed down our search to three real contenders.

Contender No. 1 is a beautiful bungalow professionally decorated from top to bottom.  Cedar shingles, a romantic front porch with string lights for a magical starry sky, and say hello to the cobalt blue door.  It is a place I fell in love with even before stepping inside the house, and I totally forgot the rule I set for Chris: look beyond the decoration!  


But really, can you blame me for having a crush on this house? After walking pass the cobalt blue front door, we were greeted by a cozy and chic living room with rustic coffee table, artful vignettes displaying the owner's vintage camera collection, captivating black & white gallery wall, and my list goes on and on.


Stepping into the dining room, I am crazy about the vintage lighting fixture for instant drama.  The custom reclaimed boards turned dining table, a set of charming preloved chairs painted raspberry red, and please peek into the mudroom at the back! Love the tumbled marble for their color variation (not to mention practicality) and the bead board panels on the walls.  This mudroom screams a seaside beach house vibe.


If kitchen and bedrooms sell houses, here is why I was ready to buy this house:


The only draw back of this place is that it has only 1 bathroom and an unfinished basement with super low ceiling.  Turning an unfinished attic into a master bedroom is doable but not sure if I can get the pumping up the attic to create an ensuite bathroom without taking apart the finished ground floor (especially the tin ceiling).  Digging deep in the basement is a whole of of work and I don't think we are cut out for it.  

So that leads us to Contender No. 2: a historic loft right downtown.  This building used to be a factory and it comes with the original polished concrete floor and lots of hip industrial details (too bad there is no exposed wood beams at the ceiling).  Before I take you to the unit, here is a quick snap shot of the stately facade of the loft, the breathtaking grand entrance, and a rooftop oasis for summer entertaining.   


We toured an unit owned by the grand daughter of the original owner of the building (how cool is that?), and the treasures and collectibles in the unit had me at hello.  Did I mention the impeccable styling of the space?  BRAVO!

The unit we are interested in is actually on the top floor and with a decent balcony.  We weren't able to see it over the weekend but it is on Chris' must-see list for TODAY!  Can you feel my excitement?


You all know I like a good old fixer-upper where everything is structurally sound and I get to have fun turning it into a timeless classic.  Contender No. 3 is a supersized 1,200 square feet condo in a 25 year-old building.  It has great potentials and it comes with lots of storage.  In the living/ dining space, there is an electric fireplace and a huge bay window overlooking the quiet, tree lined neighbourhood.  

The kitchen is a little narrow but it features yet another bay window.  I immediately thought of Lindsay's serene and elegant kitchen.  If Chris goes for this dated condo, Lindsay's kitchen will be our blueprint for the makeover!       

inspiration image via little house blog
A couple of fun items I spotted during the hunt this weekend and I am sure the million dollar question popping in Chris' mind is: 


Wish us luck my friends, and hope I will have some good news for you on Wednesday!

12 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you: the bungalow had me from the cobalt blue front door and strung lights, too! I think the decor inside is fantastic, especially the classic nautical feel to the bedroom (love the striped wallpaper, especially). I'm not normally drawn to bungalows but have to say that this is one of the best I've ever seen. Great find! Will keep my fingers crossed for you and Chris! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what WIll, even if we don't get the place, I will try to do the same at Chris' home! Just loving the place. So cozy and just relaxing. Hope the happy ending is coming soon!

      Delete
  2. Wow, those are some gorgeous finds Tim! I love the preppy bedroom - off to google ship's wheel mirror! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know what Lisa, I did just the same last night! I love that wallpaper and the whole room just look so nautically fab!

      Delete
  3. I love the bungalow too but it really depends on Chris and your objectives. A detached will appreciate in value a lot faster, and underpinning a basement is no longer as daunting because there are many professional contractors would do a great job at it - it gets even easier if you can wait until the underpin finishes before moving in. That way you don't need to live through all the construction chaos. Good luck with signing a deal - I am sure whichever you choose it will be very Tim and uber fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Michelle! Chris is really not the reno kind of guy and if it is our place together, maybe I will push for it. You know what though, the underpinning will allow me to add pumping for a bathroom in the basement, much more efficient laundry, and a full height recreation room. I can see it all being done up nicely ... too bad I am not moving there ... just yet.

      He is looking more into the downtown Kitchener area and this one is a bit far from his looking circle. Waiting to hear back of his house viewing tonight ... fingers crossed!

      Delete
  4. Spoiled for choice! Love all of them but the coach house is especially fantastic. Good luck!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much fabulous choice! good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choices! Hard decision! I'm a fan of the bungalow with the colbalt blue door, but there is something to be said for a space where you can start from scratch :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the "starry sky" lighting on the porch of the bungalow! Wherever you end up buying, you can at least re-create that look easily. I want to try it on my front porch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dreamy indeed Lesley! I am so doing it too if Chris' new home has a front porch!

      Delete
  8. Woah...how did I miss the fact that you're moving to KW? I just moved here in July! Contender #1 was featured on Design*Sponge...it looks so cute from the photos! And I know exactly what lofts those are - I was thinking about them too but they don't have balconies. Right? They are lovely! Wow Tim - it's very exciting that you're moving here!
    J

    ReplyDelete