Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Stylish Dining Room + Functional Home Office w/ Samantha Pynn

Happy Wednesday! I am super happy today because I am holding my gorgeous peonies in Chris' car driving up to Bala Ontario for an extra long cottage weekend getaway as we speak.  We stayed at this lovely sweet spot a couple of years ago and I simply can't wait to kick my shoes off and just relax at the deck. 

Samantha Pynn is the talented host of the hit TV series, Summer Home, where Sam and her team transformed ordinary country homes into sensational retreats away from the city.  I learned a lot of tips and advice from the show, and may just have to bring a couple of special touches to cottage rental.

Speaking about tips, Sam has teamed up with Brother Canada to provide us all with the best tips on how to create a stylish yet functional home office.  You all know Chris has proposed to make the dining room more "home office friendly" when he works from home, so I jumped to the chance to chat with Sam on my dining room/ home office transformation challenge.  Before we have a closer look at my "issues" at hand, let's check out Sam's bright, stylish, and inspiring home office.

image via Samantha Pynn Inc. / Brother Canada
A printer/scanner is a must for bloggers as we often print and scan contents for our blogs.  This Business Smart Inkjet All-in-One Printer/Scanner from Brother Canada is truly revolutionary.  It is compact in size, with easy to use touch screen technology, and you can even send an image for print via your smart phone: now how awesome is that?  Best of all, this Business Smart printer has a slim silhouette and a sexy black + white outfit to complete the look.  See how this powerful machine blends in seamlessly in Sam's elegant and sophisticated home office!


image via Samantha Pynn Inc.
Back to my dining room + home office situation.  Sam and I had a great time at West Elm chatting over smart solutions unique to my home office transformation, and we also had a fun tour of what's new at West Elm thisbseason. Thanks Neil for a great walk-through!  

home office image via West Elm
Now this is my dining room (+ holiday decor from Christmas 2012).  I love the space as-is with the dramatic Osborne & Little  wallpaper, a display wall with my pure white collection, a one-of-a-kind pine sideboard with loads of refined rustic charm, a sexy dining table inspired by the Saarinen round dining table, and a set of original Cherner side chairs from the 1950s.  

Here comes the challenge: as a home office, there is no storage for paper work, office essentials, and the pedestal style table is not as "solidly stable" when compares to a table with four legs.  I initially thought perhaps I could keep the dining table and switch out the sideboard for a "desk" with storage.  

Sam's tip: Chris will never work at the "desk" if the dining table offers a much larger work surface (Chris is a "spreader" after all), so my focus should be a sideboard with storage and a more firmly structured dining table.


While I am supposed to stay away from pedestal tables, I just can't resist this incredible Petal Dining Table by Knoll.  Love the intricate design on the table base!

image via Design Within Reach
Back to business.  Taking Sam's advice to heart and while I am picking new dining table and sideboard, I thought why not give my dining room a brand new look.  Here is my dream room with the classic Cherner round table and Saarinen Executive side/ arm chairs as jumping off points.  To up the glam factor and to introduce warm metal to the space, I fell in love with this beautiful three-tiered Brielle console from 219.  It is pleasing to the eye and it also provides me lots of practical surfaces for displays or storage.  For this idea board, I have also accessorized the console with classic navy & white jars, a decadent Pagoda mirror, flirty pretty pink lacquer boxes (all from 219), and of course the sleek printer/scanner from Brother Canada. 

I also love this Muriel chandelier from Oly Studio.  It is light, airy, and definitely dramatic.  The Bernhardt Dynasty screen in creamy white speaks luxury and elegance, while providing an attractive visual barrier to hide all the "office" items components.  For additional layering fun and to ground the space, this sophisticated ink & cream rug from ELTE is exactly what I need for my transformed space.  I love it at Christine's home and this super fun wallpaper from Cole & Son just makes me happy!   

images via 219Brother CanadaDesign Within ReachelteWest Elm 
So what do you think? Fingers crossed Chris likes it!

8 comments:

  1. My favourite element is the flamingo wallpaper from Cole & Son hands, but I'm also crushing on that three tiered console from 219 - LOVE!! There are so many great ideas in your mood board, Tim, it looks fab. When is this makeover happening?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that console table! WANT WANT WANT! And I also am loving the screen so beeeeeautiful. Hope all is well with you!

    XO,
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it all.... gives me more ideas for our dining room. I have always navy, gold and that pink is new for me.... but loving it more each day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies! I love it all too! Fingers crossed Chris is ok with the light and pretty palette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 219 is the BEST- I'm SO getting that screen for my new house! Adore what you put together here and thanks for the mention sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very sweet Christine, and Tim your dining room is fabulous as is, and I LOVE where you're headed!! Yup, the Dynasty screen is my new favourite, and I'm pretty crazy about the Muriel chandy as well! Thank you Tim for including so many of 219's pieces!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Christine and Christine!! I too love 219 and had so much fun put the idea board together! Now I just have to work on making it happen. Hard to say goodbye to the O&L wallpaper :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. No doubt, this is one of the stylish dining room I have seen so far. Each and everything is very well maintained, well furnished and good selection of colors. I really love that. Well, my dining room is not so cool but yeah it has lots of color mixtures.

    ReplyDelete