Monday, June 3, 2013

Hallway Makeover: Wallpaper Crush

Hello Monday!  Did you have a relaxing weekend? While I am still shocked by the sub 20C temperature in June, I was sweating a bucket working at Project Rental and Project Balcony over the weekend and didn't realize the sudden drop of temperature until late last night.  It was a lot of work but the place is coming to together beautifully and I have a couple of sneak peeks for you later on.

Today, I want to talk about hallway.  While I was sourcing wallpaper for the den/ dining room, I fell in love with many wallpaper patterns and started to wonder where else could I install wallpaper in my own home.  I was also obsessively watching Million Dollar Decorators (still am by the way on DVDs),       and hopelessly loving all the spaces decorated by Mary McDonald.  Her spaces are always luxe, refined, and as Mary says it herself: glamour is everything.  In Season 2, Mary decorated a hallway in the historic Greystone Mansion and isn't it stunning?  I love Mary's pick of classic blue & white to go with the sensational marble floor and the creamy upholstered furniture pieces with natural wood finishes to add warmth to this crisp, sumptuous space.  I also died and have gone to ceiling heaven ... check out that ceiling!!

Here is your chance to tour the rooms at the Greystone Mansion decorated by 25 top designers thanks to luxe. magazine.

image via luxe. magazine, designed by Mary McDonald
Now back to my tiny hallway.  It is small and it has no access to natural light.  Perhaps that is why I have only taken a couple of pictures of the hallway in the past couple of years.  As an effort to give it a stronger presence and not just a passageway to go from the living room to the bedroom, I have collected a few patterned runners, added mouldings to the closet door, and a couple of original artwork. 


Then thanks to Arnold of Benito Designs for suggesting adding impact in the hallway via wallpaper, my wallpaper starving eyes started to "shop around" for my next wallpaper adventure.  Here are a few options I have come up with.

Mesmerized by the dramatic ink + cream Tanzania from Thibaut in Meredith's office, I couldn't help but crave for more of this high impact, sophisticated animal print inspired pattern.  Meredith did an amazing job by grounding the space with a luxe silk rug in deep navy and accentuating this striking palette with bright yellow/ gold hues.  This ink & cream palette will offer me a neutral backdrop for maximum flexibility to color play in the future.

images via Chloe Magazine / Thibaut 
Being a big fan of Jonathan Adler, I am also crazy about bold geometric patterns.  This Cole & Son paper is a black & white + gold stunner.  It allows me a taste of the bold palette I love in Meredith's office through one simple wallpaper install!  This classic hexagon pattern also comes in many different colorways.  You should check them out here

images via Cole & Son / 1 / 2
Another ink & cream combo and this has been one of my all time favourites: Chenonceau in charcoal by Schumacher.  I have been obsessed with this pattern ever since Sarah used it in Sarah's house Season 4.  It is whimsical and chic, and it certainly looks incredible at Allison's country retreat!  Once again, this timeless pattern stands the test of time and proven its versatility for different application: country chic or city contemporary.  Love it!

images via Schumacher / House & Home
A little side note, Sarah has launched her new website!  It is so much fun and is filled with never been seen pictures from projects, fab finds, get inspired, new furniture pieces to her custom collection, and a chance to meet the talented design team.  Here is a fun video from Sarah & Tommy


Here comes the big splurge for an instant showstopper.  If you've watched the season finale of Million Dollar Decorators (Season 2), I am sure you have also fallen in love with the elegant and serene wallpaper in Mary McDonald's exquisite bedroom.  This paper from Gracie Studio is traditional, feminine, and yet it feels light and inviting.  I love the pastel jade backdrop and soft white print with an Asian inspired motif.  Browsing through the collection at Gracie Studio, here are a couple of stunners I HEART.
      
image via 1 / 2
Sadly this paper has been vetoed by Chris for it being too "lady-like" to him and also a little out of the budget.  In an attempt to bring my beloved birdie motif as a potential contender in this wallpaper race, I also presented this lighthearted version by Julia Rothman for Hygge & West.  I just love the cheerful energy of this paper.  What a perfect way to end a hectic day before hitting the bedroom.

image via Hygge and West
Knowing Chris likes geometric patterns and I don't want the hallway to look like a colorful jisaw puzzle, I also selected a couple of muted graphic versions that satisfy both of our preferences.  I love how these papers give an illusion of a three dimensional texture while keeping the overall space calm and subdued.  One of these handsome patterns from Cole & Son maybe the one!

image via Cole & Son
Here comes the sneak peek of Project Rental and Project Balcony I've promised you earlier.  THe bookcases in the den/dining room look incredible, especially with a pair of these Marilyn prints.  We totally scored at HomeSense and if you like them, be sure to check out your local locations before they are sold out!  The balcony is also coming along nicely and I know you will all love it.  I so want this balcony for myself!! A few more key pieces will arrive this week and we are all set to wrap up the project by next week.


Artwork has been a challenge at the project because we cannot put any holes on the walls to hang art.  What it means is that every art piece we put up has to be weight supportable by removable tapes.  These two beautiful fabrics from Tonic Living with refreshing blooms are life savers and they look incredible on the walls!


So do you have a wallpaper itch and which paper is your favourite? I would love to know!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea putting the florals on the walls -beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wallpaper is such a great decorating item isnt it. I love abstract type patterns the best :) Not being able to hang artworks is a bit of a pain, I think some artworks look quite good just leaning on top of a cabinet or small table, that way you can change them around when you feel like creating a different look too.

    ReplyDelete