Monday, May 27, 2013

Weekend Fun

Happy Monday! Did you have a fun-filled weekend? I had a great time checking out the farmers' market at St. Jacobs, visited my favourite stores to source the perfect finishing touches for Project Balcony, and enjoyed a sunny afternoon at downtown Kitchener for BikeFest 2013 where Chris and his fellow Bike2Work participants had a little meet and greet.

While I put myself on a restraining order to "shop no more", a few of my lovely ladies went to Christie Antique Show bright and early on Saturday morning and check out their finds!! I'd totally missed out.  I am crazy about these wire chairs inspired by the Swan Chair designed by Arne Jacobsen.  Wouldn't they be sensational in a garden with a sleek, contemporary aesthetic? On top of discovering these fabulous chairs, Jen was also hard at work to put together this charming rad cover (doubling as a bench) at Chloe's big girl bedroom makeover.

Wendy found these vintage brass cutleries and they reminded me of The Great Gatsby, while Pam struck gold with a set of 6 wrought iron beauties in white faux bamboo style.

images thanks to Jen, Wendy, and Pam
Though jealous of the fantastic items the ladies shared with me on twitter, I was cheered up the moment I walked into the farmers' market at St. Jacobs.  Yes they had lots of fresh, local, organic produce but my eyes were zoomed in to the oh-so-pretty lilac, lili of the valley, and OMG my favourite of all, peony!  Yes peony season is almost here and I will be at St. Lawrence Market every Saturday morning until the peony season is over.


Inspired by the lovely blooms I picked up at the market, I decided to put a couple of planters at Project Balcony as the final finishing touch.  I headed to The Home Depot and found this diamond square planter.  Perfect in size and scale, a pair of them in white will form a beautiful backdrop + add a touch of nature at the lounge zone.  

Now what blooms should I pick for the planters? The overall look of the balcony is casual elegance with a touch of whimsy.  With that in mind, I have narrowed down my blooms to three options:

* Hydrangea "Annabelle": its delicate creamy white blossoms and deep green foliage add fullness and a classic touch to the space.

* Orchid "Phalaenopsis": the long graceful stems and cluster of velvety blooms create an impeccable style statement and a sense luxury.  A beautifully decorated condo in South Beach Miami: this is the vision I have in mind when I see a planter full of Phalaenopsis.

* English Lavender "Hidcote": I have a soft-spot for Lavender, especially the English Lavender for its elegance presence and light fragrance.  I have the faux version in my own balcony, and I am loving this topiary version for height, fun, and relaxing aroma.  


After checking out the garden centre at The Home Depot, I also stopped by my favourite HomeSense in Waterloo to see what treasures they have waiting for me.  This location has never ceased to amaze me with incredible finds and this time, I found this gorgeous 15"x15" square tray with gold trim detail for $14.99 and if you are looking to add tropical delights to your outdoor furniture set, check this bright floral out! LOVE IT!  


One other highlight over the weekend was the 1st Annual BikeFest in downtown Kitchener.  Strive to promote sustainable living and healthy lifestyle, the City of Kitchener has teamed up with Ziggy's Cycle & Sports to host Bike2Work Challenge 2013.  16 participants will bike from home to work for at least 3 times a week during the month of June and you know what, Chris is one of the lucky 16 participants! Look at how excited he was with his brand new bike with all the bells and whistles.  Chris' bio and his interview with the event organizer will be up next week.  So proud of him.


9 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a blog post! Thank you for including me in your round up. I will be publishing a post with all my Christie Antique Show finds later today! Did you see the little golden elephant I brought home?

    Your weekend looks fun - filled just the same, love the blooms you found at St. Jacobs and yay Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I will have to go over to your blog to check out your gorgeous finds!

      Delete
  2. I vote for Option 3 for the reasons you've listed, plus lavender flowers wither beautifully (unlike Hydrangea). And I am so jealous of your latest score from HomeSense. Are you sure you didn't pick up two? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I think I am going for option 3 as well. By the way, I saw two versions of the tray I got over the weekend at the Queen and Yonge location. Check it out!

      Delete
  3. I love that tray! But the pattern is to gorgeous to cover up or put things on I would be afraid to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so upset that I couldn't attend Christie this year but the fields are a little hard to navigate on crutches not to mention huge! I am tempted to drive to Waterloo to check out this amazing Homesense Can you say road trip? Can't wait to catch up!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to go for the lavender because it has such simple, timeless beauty - love it!

    P.S. Congrats to Chris... looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I enjoyed following along the Instagrams! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tray! i hope to hit up christie's one time in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do you manage to get so many things done in one weekend? You amaze me!
    I must make it down to the market during peony season.

    The balcony is looking so awesome. Love those topiaries.

    Big congratulations to Chris.

    ReplyDelete