Friday, May 24, 2013

Style at Home: Small Space Special Edition

Happy Friday!  We are back to early spring temperature (which I am not too happy about) but at least the sun is out and we will be climbing back up to 18C this weekend.  Not 28C like last weekend, but I will take it.  I am insanely busy at work these days and today will be a very long day before I head to Waterloo for the weekend.  I so look forward to a relaxing weekend and perhaps the first outdoor market at St. Jacobs.  

Before I head to my "never ending story" at work, I am super excited to share with you all that my bedroom is being featured in the special issue of Style at Home 100+ Designers Secrets!

image via Style at Home
I am honoured to be including in the feature and have joint 9 other super talented design gurus to share our best-kept small-space secrets in "Inside Scoop".    

image via Style at Home
I love how Meredith open up the kitchen in her narrow Victorian home by using open shelves + visually expanded the space by using white on cabinet, ceiling, and the subtle yet dramatic counter to ceiling subway tile treatment.  The sharp contrast on the floor is to die for and that gilded faux bamboo chandelier took my breath away.

Michael you are such a clever man! I love Michaels' idea of pushing the table right up against the wall to squeeze out a dining zone in a tight open-concept space.  See the buffet + china storage/display on the left? It was once a linen closet!  I absolutely love this idea! 

Nicola's tip in small space is to consider the sightlines and views from one room to the next.  This is so true when I look at my own condo: it is small, but it has an incredible sightline that runs the length of the entire condo.  I could be taking a bath in the bathroom and the view to my left is: the hallway, the foyer, and the kitchen.  I love the vignettes Nichola created from her master bedroom to her daughter's bedroom.  So romantic and chic. 


In this special small space edition, the editors at Style at Home also shared their small space solutions.  In particular, I love Ann Marie's transformation to turn a landing into a sweet spot for shoes and coats (HEART that wallpaper!), Erin's idea of using floating shelves to display treasured objects or as a practical sideboard in dining room and side table by a sofa, and Cat's DIY demi-lune table for a dramatic shot of hot pink + gold leaf feet (love the juxtaposition between the feminine table and the masculinity from the mirror).   

image via Style at Home
I am also inspired by a couple of featured spaces in this special edition.  This condo in Vancouver hits all the right notes.  I love how the kitchen looks super contemporary and yet warm and inviting, thanks to the use of light wood veneer as backsplash + cover of the range hood and the white oak floor.  The line-up of silver pendants and the solid walnut stools add charm, texture, and presence in this neutral kitchen.  

The bedroom is an absolute stunner with a hugely dramatic wall mural, the layerings of all grey bedding & pillows, and the sculptural swing arm light for a bold statement (not to mention the ingenious use of narrow wall space).



image via Style at Home
This foyer/ living room is such a relaxing place to be after a long day.  I am crazy about this Farrow & Ball wallpaper at the foyer and how this traditional motif is modernized by the clever use of lucite console, a pair of tall but light as a feather (visually) crystal lamps, and a clear glass vase for blooms.  

image via Style at Home
This Special Edition of Style at Home 100+ Designer Secrets is now available on news stands.  The special edition includes many tips and smart ideas by top designers and you surely won't want to miss it.    

5 comments:

  1. Whoa - congrats to you on your MAJOR mention!!! I wanna check it out. Is it available online? I'm in the US :/

    This seems like a super great topic, too - small space editions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany! I am not sure if the special issue is available online, but you can order it here and have it shipped to you. Happy weekend!

      https://secure.styleathome.com/online-store/?cat=S

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the S@H mag! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing!!! Huge congrats on the feature. I love your space :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this review. It gave me a lot of ideas when it comes to homeowner and I really thankful. This is decor is very and I want to have this design in our home. I will share this to my friends because they are looking for an idea for home decor. Keep sharing!.


    home-owner

    ReplyDelete