Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Project Rental: Balcony Edition

Happy Wednesday! Don't you just love a short week after a long weekend? It is already hump day and I just simply can't wait for the weekend to arrive.  I love spending an afternoon in the park enjoying a refreshing icy drink and be inspired by my favourite magazines.  For those lucky ones who live in a house with a backyard, you can do just that right at home.  And for the condo dwellers, now is the time to get your balcony ready for the season.

If you have been following me on my adventure at Project Rental, here is a little update:  the interior rooms are almost completed with a few final details to go into the den/ dining room.  Now with summer being right around the corner, my client (a.k.a. friend of 20 years since Grade 8) has eagerly asked me to transform her balcony from scratch.  Well ... not entirely from scratch.  This bare balcony comes with a tailored, relaxed, palm beach inspired patio set my friend scored at HomeSense.        


My initial thought for the space is about the layering of patterns in a fresh navy and white palette for a cool, sail boat ready, nautical vibe.  Not too crazy about the red cushions that came with the set, I have sourced a polka dot, a stripe, and two solid fabrics (one in navy and one in white) to give the chairs a brand new look.  I also need a rug and this set of three 3x5 chevron fun at HomeSense gives the space an instant shot of bold graphical presence.  Add a pretty white porcelain stool and a couple of pillows in minty blue as accent, my ground work here is done ... or so I thought.  


A short visit to Style Garage has pulled the rug under my feet, literally.  The round sea grass rug has opened my eyes for possibilities, and these stools with natural wood frame construction and the luxe, soft hide padded seats just made me wanting more.

Then a minty sensational beauty at HomeSense struck gold and now I know what to do: I am adding a casual dining area in the balcony and I want to enrich my original navy and white palette with more colors + a touch of nature.     


Ready for my final idea board? I think you do.  This is the winner idea at #Project Balcony!

image (from left to right) via 1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7/ 8/ 9/ 10
The navy and white combo will grace our patio set, as I think the palette gives the patio set a crisp, fresh look.  Now to boost up the color and pretty factor, I am adding a pair of these absolutely stunning fleur chinoise pillows by Caitlin Wilson Design to the mix.  The coral peonies on the pillows inspired me to go with this super fun Phoenix wool Dhurrie from West Elm to ground the seating area.  A sleek minty cube from CB2 to juxtapose the curve edges via patio set and to tie in with the minty bistro table in the dining zone.  With very little space to spare for coffee table, a couple of the martini tables from West Elm may just do the trick.

Now for the dining area, I am in love with the minty bistro table and the new stools at Style Garage.  Instead of going with an ordinary ground covering, I am super happy to have found this natural beauty with a scallop edge.  With the fun birdie plates from Kate Spade and braided napkin rings from Indigo, my work here is done.  I can't wait to see #Project Balcony comes to life.

What is your favourite element for outdoor living? I'd love to know!

9 comments:

  1. Amazing Tim! I love the color combo. You have the best taste. Those minty cubes are amazing.. off to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jane! I just ordered the cube and the rugs. Can't wait to test them out!

      Delete
  2. I ordered the three navy fabrics from Tonic Living for my nautical bedroom! They look good together but aren't a perfect "navy" match. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tonic is the best! share a picture after your bedroom is done :) nautical sounds like a dreamy theme

      Delete
  3. Navy & white is my world!! I want it! Now I only need to find a magical wand and get myself a balcony!! I'll work on it:-) Happy weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know right? how about your other place in Paris? is there a balcony?

      Delete
  4. I adore those polka dots. Can't wait to see this come together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love how it all looks so fabulous together! You have such an eye for design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Barbara!! you will have to come for blog podium and I can take you to check it out in person!

      Delete