Monday, April 15, 2013

Tommy Smythe: Murano Glass Special

Hello Monday! The sun is out and the sky is infinitely blue, I am glad that we've finally reached an agreement with Mother Nature for a brighter and happier spring.  How was your weekend friends? I was out of town for a much needed break on Saturday and worked hard at Project Rental on Sunday afternoon.  Great progress and photo shoot to happen in a couple of weeks, which puts a huge smile on my face.

Of course I couldn't help myself but kicking through my favourite online sites over the weekend and have found THE chandelier for Project Master Retreat.  I will show you what M picked up on Sunday in a few moments, but for now, let's take a quick lesson on Murano glass with Tommy Smythe.

image via House & Home
Tommy's tips on Murano glass:

* Pick your style.  From swirls to traditional lines in clear or contemporary colours, find a style that speaks to you.

* Showcase your investment.  A genuine Venetian lighting fixture comes with a heavy price tag, so pick a location that garnishes a striking focal point.

* Fit the bill.  If a chandelier is not in the budget, Murano glassware also comes as dishes and stemware to mirrors and table lamps.  Even in small doses, this beautiful artisan-made material adds dynamic energy and glamour to any spaces.   

Here is my favourite bedroom by Tommy.  I particularly love the juxtaposition between the subdued, masculine color palette and a bold, dramatic, and more feminine take with the Murano class chandelier.  

image via House & Home
This timeless, luxurious material (in this case as a chandelier) is truly adoptable to any spaces, and here are three sophisticated rooms ready to prove my case.  From ornate transitional to eclectic modern, a Murano glass chandelier has the magic to inject class, style, and a touch of whimsy to any spaces.

image via 1/ 2/ 3
In a slightly different style, this pair of stunners at Christine's kitchen offers an incredible bold stroke of vibrancy against the clean white walls.  As for me, I am currently obsessed with this multi-tier master piece for an instant showstopper and a shot of Hollywood glam. 

image via Style at Home/ chandelier
Now back to Project Master Retreat.  Remember this idea board I put together back in February? A slight delay at the project since M needs to put some faux grass in the backyard to welcome spring/summer for the kids.  Nonetheless, we are moving ahead to source some of our key pieces.


From a little online shopping over the weekend, I have found a vintage Murano glass chandelier (well at least its authenticity was guaranteed by the seller, since I am no expert in spotting a genuine one vs. reproduction) that will truly be a star of the show in M's master bedroom.  It will need a little cleaning and maybe rewiring, but it is too good of a deal to pass up especially when the price tag was only $150!! 

image via 
So how do you feel about Murano glass? I would love to hear from you of your favourite style and where would you use one in your home!

5 comments:

  1. I've always loved art glass chandeliers especially the ones with waterfall effect (the one you picked in your board) and the leafy feather effect (Christine's). I always think this type of vintage chandeliers need to go into a period home, but obviously that's not the case any more these days. I'd love to try one in a guest bedroom one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this. I'm totally craving one for my office.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get it cleaned to see how it shines up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these!!! Now...where to buy....any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Decorum is a good place to check out in Toronto :) Good Luck!

      Delete