Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Project Rental: Accent Color in Living Room

Morning Wednesday! What a beautiful, sunny day we have in Toronto.  Still a bit chilly but we are expecting 12C tomorrow, can't complain.  Moving on ... I have been working hard on Project Rental.  The living room is almost done and now I hit a road block: what accent color should I use in this calm, serene, pale lavender + warm grey palette?

Here are two rooms dressed in cream + grey + lavender with brass accent or vintage charm that I just absolutely love.  Don't you just go banana crazy with that touch of whimsy with the seagull decoration on the coffee table and that sharp animal print pillow and fun fur stools?   Christine, these two elements remind me of your gorgeous home!  How about that classic gentleman chesterfield done in lavender? It is insanely gorgeous, especially when pairing with this stunningly glam chandelier + hits of black to ground the light, airy space.

image via 1/ 2
Now back on accent colour.   My initial pick was a light avocado green and that would have been the most natural color combination (purple and green) that I have seen gracing the glossy pages of home decor publication.  Sadly avocado green didn't fly with my friend and I am back to the drawing board.  

After searching online for inspiration, I came across these images with grey, cream + pastel yellow and soft emerald green to accentuate the space.  I like this color palette for an elegant, fresh look to welcome spring (and a new chapter for my friend) and most importantly, it offers the hit of color my eyes so desperately desire.   

image via 1/ 2
Color option No. 2 is mustard yellow.  It is definitely more daring and punchy than the soft cheerful pastel yellow.  The rooms feel vibrant and rich thanks to the dramatic color play between the deep plum and the citrus undertone in our accent color.  Brass and gold accessories up the luxe factors in these spaces.  Lavender, along with cream and grey, becomes a calming backdrop to compliment the impactful color couple.  I also love how this palette can be interpreted either for a bright and airy space or a dimmed, moody private retreat.       

image via 1/ 2
Then I came across this soft, feminine palette of pale coral and minty green.  I just love how charming they look pairing with lavender.  These spaces are both cozy, inviting, and I am ready to sit down for a cup of tea + catching up with friends.  The best part is that these colors are so versatile and pleasing to the eye that my friend can easily take her investment today to a different home.  I think we have a winner!

image via 1/ 2
Before I wrap up today's post, I want to give you a little sneak peek of our final decision on drapery.  After looking for the perfect solution to replace the oh-so-ugly vertical blinds, I have landed on this beautiful fabric from Tonic Living.  What beautiful fabric as drapes and I can see it in my head already! Thanks Janine!!

image via Tonic Living
So what do you think? What accent color would you pick for a grey, lavender, creamy room?  Love to hear from you!

8 comments:

  1. Pale yellow was the first thing that popped into my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting more and more crazy about it Shannon! Will keep you posted once we decided on an accent color!

      Delete
  2. If that is the fabric you are using for the drapes, then mustard it is. That pattern calls for a bold hit of colour, in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love emerald, pistachio green as an accent colour to a grey room. The picture you showed is my perfect type of living space. And your drapery fabric choice is so fun! I am heading to Tonic Living very soon too for a new fabric to re-upholster a vintage rocker. Btw, I've been looking for the wide striped fabric you like for you, and the closet I could find so far is Vicki Payne's collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Michelle - I love the emerald and pistachio greens as accent shades because I think they're softer and calmer for a living room compared to the mustard yellow.

    Such a great project to be working on - I can't wait to see the finished results! Cheers Mr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Will and Michelle! agreed that mustard yellow maybe a bit too strong ... probably leaning more toward pistachio green and pale yellow :)

      Delete
  5. i love that drapery fabric! can't wait to see final room!

    ReplyDelete