Monday, April 22, 2013

HomeSense: April Edition

Hello Monday and I hope you all enjoyed a fabulous weekend!  Thanks to a slight delay in project launch, I didn't need to go in to the office the past weekend and got to enjoy a lovely sunny Sunday with Chris for a relaxing walk in High Park.  The air was still a little chilly (especially in late April) but it didn't damper our spirits to embrace the much anticipated hooray of sunshine.  I don't know about you, but I am totally ready for warm summer weather to arrive so we at least get to enjoy outdoor living for 3 months before we get back into "coat mode" again.

Speaking about summer + cottage living, here are two rooms by Sarah Richardson I absolutely love and I have scouted HomeSense for the perfect statement pieces + decorative accessories to transform your own home into a get-away sanctuary in a breezy.  

Look No. 1: Nautical Charm

This master bedroom at Sarah's Cottage had me at hello when I first saw it a few years back.  Similar to Sarah, I like white and white is nice.  Red ... it is bold and can be difficult to use without overpowering the space.  Knowing where to inject red and how much to use in a space is the key to a successful application of this vibrant hue.  Sarah has done an amazing job in her master bedroom by wrapping the entire room with white-washed pine panels, installing neutral linen drapes for subtle texture and softness, applying a two-tone striped effect on the floor, while using red (along with blue) as accents on headboard, quilts, pillows and other accessories.  The result is a calming, restful, yet dynamtic retreat where I would love to spend my summer evenings.    

image via Sarah Richardson Design
Before I can turn my master bedroom envy into a reality (i.e. a cottage on a private island at Georgian Bay), I have found a collection of lovelies from HomeSense that can give my city's bedroom a nautical transformation.  You love this graphic pillow don't you? I totally lucked out with this Ralph Lauren Home pillow (only $20 ... still can't believe it) as my perfect jumping off point.  Then I found this super fun chevron pouf that adds just the right shade of red I am after.  To juxtapose against the boldness of red, I started looking for blue and creamy white elements to complete the look.  This gorgeous patterned rug is 100% wool and I would love it in my living room for a brand new refreshing look.  A neutral cotton/linen blend upholstered sofa with pinstripe detail and nailhead trim is high on my lust list (can't have a new sofa this year ... I just got one last spring).  

To complete the facelift, I will bring in a touch of nature via this framed coral fan as artwork, the adorable seahorse bookend, and of course this stylish and luxe leather + glass stunner either as a vase for fresh blooms or a perfect hurricane candle holder with an adventurer flair.       


Look No. 2: Country Refined

If you live in the country, wouldn't you love to have a bathroom looking just like this? With a vintage workbench being repurposed and transformed into charming vanity with marble top, a pair of sensational antique Murano glass sconces, a stunning + cheerful mirror with a scollop top, a delightful claw foot tub painted a pale canary yellow, and of course Sarah's signature touch: gorgeous drapes in bathroom for an instant hit of pattern.

image via Sarah Richardson Design
To introduce similar elements into our own home, my jumping off point is this chic bathroom print with  a painted claw foot tub, even the tile pattern is consistent with Sarah's bathroom!  Here comes the deal of the century: a huge bevel edge mirror with a beautiful scollop top for scale and maximize the glam + elegant factor ... and for less than $100!!  Still pinching myself this morning and yes, this is so going into Project Master Retreat.

With summer approaching, it is also time to bring some brightness into our living room.  Check out these designer pillows: Trina Turk inspired embroidery version or preppy striped similar to those Sarah used in Tova's deck, HomeSense has got you covered for less.  For the final finishing touch, how about a pair of these delicate and sculptural lamps with a lucite base? Love the tailored yet feminine look of these lamps.


If you have been following me on Instagram, you would know my recent trips to HomeSense have been extremely fruitful.  Lots of fantastic headboards and furniture pieces have arrived and you surely won't want to miss out.  

Happy Shopping!  


3 comments:

  1. LOVE that yellow lamp! Your homesense posts are always so awesome! Great job, Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really love the country style. looks so relaxing

    ReplyDelete