Friday, March 22, 2013

Inspiration: Margot and Kevin Austin

Happy Friday everyone! It is officially the third day of spring and my urge to share with you the brilliant spaces decorated with colorful hues is now at record high.  You all know I am a fan of the green & pink palette (here is recap of my very own version).  So you can imagine how my heart actually skipped a beat when I saw Margot and Kevin Austin's artfully curated mid-century home filled with vintage treasures, and all things cherished by this dynamic couple.  Let's begin our tour, shall we?  

It is hard to believe this bungalow is only 520 square feet, especially when it houses a kitchen, a living/dining room, a bedroom, and a dressing room!  Clearly, living in style + all the modern day comfort does not need to be limited by square footage, and here is how Margot and Kevin living large in their quaint Scarborough home.

A trick to open up a tight small space is to keep the colors light.  Take this kitchen for example.  By pairing the off-white cabinets with streamlined stainless steel appliances, gorgeous hexagonal white marble backsplash, and glamorous brass hardware, this kitchen feels spacious, fresh, and it sparkles.  I particularly love how the white faucet, cooktop, and counter top (in waterfall style) blend in with the 50 shades of white seamlessly to create a serene, minimal look.  Of course the use of bright acid yellow as accents (pendant + tea towel) also had me at hello.

What can I say about the living room? I LOVE it all! The George Nelson Bubble lamp, the gilded antique mirror above the fireplace, and that pair of killer tub chairs in mossy green velvet ... OMG.  To me, the space is eclectic, romantic, inviting + a sense of playfulness.

image via House & Home
Now this is NOT a bedroom I expect to see in Scarborough! With a simple yet luxurious upholstered bed + antiqued brass nailhead detail, soft-to-touch yet textile area rug that looks like sea grass, graphic yet calming chandelier and mirror, and to top that all off, a super chic canopy bed with crisp white linen drapes,  THIS is a tranquil beachside hotel suite in Hawaii!  The soft creamy walls add warmth and complement the whites in room perfectly to create a cozy, restful retreat.

Say hello to this stunning dining room! Kevin and I share one common passion: faux bamboo.  I just can't get enough of it and constantly being tempted to collect the next best piece for my "future home".  Check out this chic dining room with the beautiful hand-printed wallpaper from Pierre Frey, a vintage sunburst mirror, and a Saarinen inspired dining table.  Of course I died and have gone to faux bamboo heaven when I saw these exquisite dining chairs with adorable yellow pipping and that chandelier! I have the same chandelier at home and have never thought of putting shades on the candles.  Thanks Margot and Mr. K for the inspiration!     

image via House & Home
Don't you just love this eclectic, well-edited, and cozy home? I just love it all and my absolutely favourite is the hints of soft cheerful yellow throughout the house.  Margot has put together this high intensity vignette in the April Issue of House & Home.  I love the sharp playoff between the bright yellow and deep, sumptuous black, and the juxtaposition between the formality of the classic panels/trims and the modern, playful canary hue.   

Check out that cutie pie (a member of the Austin's family) sitting on the beautiful marble floor with the colorful collar from the Bay.  So adorable!    

Want to know what inspires Margot?  Here is Margot's inspiration board at House & Home! 

image via House & Home
Many of the pieces at Margot and Kevin's home are antiques or vintage finds that are truly one of a kind.  Speaking about unique finds, the One of A Kind Show is just around the corner and for this spring, the show is brighter and happier than ever!


I am a super exciting news for you next week but for today, I have a giveway for 10 of you!  The show has generiously offerred 10 pairs of tickets to 10 lucky DesignMaze readers.  To win, simply leave me a comment of what catches your eyes from the amazing line-up of artisans and the lucky winners will be randomly selected on Wednesday March 27th.  

Happy weekend!


3 comments:

  1. I want to see what SaltSpring Island Floor Art is! Who could resist a name like that? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their duo of green tub armchairs is a real WINNER! Have a fantastic weekend, pal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Joe Jin's products! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=409218085833253&set=a.409217785833283.96274.191507340937663&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete