Friday, February 15, 2013

Style Masters: Malcolm Patterson + Rodney Smith

Happy Friday!  The long weekend is almost here and my bag is packed for my 3 nights, 4 days ultimate relaxation getaway visiting one of my favourite B&Bs in Collingwood.  If you have noticed, I did say 1 bag and 1 bag only.  This may sound surprising to some (for some mysterious reasons folks tend to think I travel with 6 large suitcases for an overnight trip ...  and exactly where did they get that idea from??), I am actually a light traveller and I don't believe in "options": I need one tee a day, well I will pack 4 for this trip ... you get the idea.

Too bad I could't stick to the same rule when it come to home decor accessories.  Yes, I am guilty as charged and that's why I am taking notes from two style experts who have mastered the Art of Small Space Living in Style: Rodney Smith + Malcolm Patterson.

image via Style at Home
Judging by the sleek, contemporary approach to interior finishes and furniture choices, I did not expect this is actually a century-old townhouse right downtown.  However, one thing I know for certain: with exposed brick wall, graphic original artwork, a classic Thonet chair, and a pair of Hunter boots, our eyes are in for an eclectic stylish feast.  I love the sophisticated black & white palette (from the striped credenza to the graphic area rug) and how this mod color combination juxtaposes against the warm earthy hue exudes from the richly textured brick wall. 

image via Style at Home
Malcolm and Rodney proved to us that you can live happily ever after in your small space (though they both crave for an extra room for a home office) if you start curating, rather than decorating, your space. Pick what you love (so classic pieces are your best investments) and with a smart space layout, this 600 square feet main floor is definitely living large.  

A few styling tricks from the main floor:

* double duty your favourite reads as one-of-a-kind decorative sculpture

* wall-to-wall full height drapery panels create depth and offer a luxe, dramatic backdrop

* sleek kitchen cabinets both contrast and complement the color and texture of the exposed brick walls. With the addition of a large floor mirror, the style masters have successfully created an illusion of extra space 

image via Style at Home
The basement is strictly for private matter and this is where the two style masters relax, unwind, and rejuvenate.  The deep navy blue accent wall gives the space its presence, while the vibrant green hide rug demands attention.  I love the pair of classic Tolomeo lamps as bedside lamps for scale, high style and the long arms are super practical for bedtime reading. 

The bathroom is moody, sexy, spacious, and nothing short of spectacular!  If you have seen my powder room project, you know why I am crazy about this bathroom.  I love that the couple repurposed a vintage stereo cabinet as vanity and installed the sink/faucet asymmetrically to free up additional surface for bathroom essentials + a dramatic arrangement with sago palms for a bold statement.  

image via Style at Home
Want to take a tour of this fabulous home? Here is Malcolm on CityLine for a private tour:


Inspired by the sleek and sexy home of Malcolm and Rodney, here is my take on "How to: Create a Stylish Bachelor Pad" for Style at Home.  You can read the full article here.   

image via 1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5
I hope you enjoy this post as much as I do and I would love to hear what you think.  Happy long weekend everyone and I will pop in on Monday for some family fun. You won't want to miss it! 

1 comment:

  1. Great inspiration for small spaces! I myself live in a tiny apartment so I'm pretty thankful for any styling tips:-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete