Friday, February 22, 2013

HomeSense: February 2013 Edition

Happy Friday!  This is short work week and I am sure you all are ready to enjoy the weekend already. There is never enough time to do all the things you want to do within those two days don't you agree? I mean, after addressing household duties such as laundry, cleaning, and cooking, there is hardly enough time to meet friends for brunch, workout at the gym, or go for a walk in the park.

Well, I won't be doing any of the above that weekend.  This deadly cold I inherited from Chris continues to take its toll, and I have been asked kindly to stay home so I won't infect the entire office.  Blessing in disguise I suppose.  While I am on "bed rest" over the next couple of days, I thought perhaps I should send you guys out shopping for me.  Location? HomeSense of course!

image via House & Home
This well-edited, eclectic living room belongs to one of my favourite designers, Tommy Smythe.  I love the dramatic backdrop sets by a mod black & white palette, pops of colors via accessories and framing of original art, and treasures Tommy collected while traveling around the world.

Inspired by this strikingly impactful living space, here is what I put together with my finds from HomeSense.  The graphic area rug sets the tone for the space with its intricate pattern and it looks super high-end.  These chevron chairs with beautiful lines and nailhead details strike gold, and they totally remind me of the signature chevron by Mary MacDonald.  While this mirrored console with a delicate moroccan flair adds glamour and character to the space, it is also the perfect companion to this jaw droppingly incredible mirror in muted gold.  It was on markdown and I am still kicking myself for not picking it up!

The campaign side table brings a hint of masculine quality to the collection.  For a touch of whimsy and color, I heart these Wickford Sandpiper plates by Kate Spade and the cheerful yellow ranunculus to brighten up any space.


Looking No. 2 is all about refined elegance with an edgy twist, and my inspiration for this collection comes from this serene yet hip home office put together by Sarah Richardson.  Wrapped in creamy walls, off-white furnishings, and super soft carpeting, this space is calm and tranquil.  Sarah plays up the fun factor with the graffiti drapes, the metal basket weave pendant, and a health dose of animal print ... just for good measure.     

image via Sarah Richardson Design
The jumping off point for this collection is this handsome chest of drawer in a natural oak finish and the beautiful oncidium orchid arrangement in bright yellow.  The hardware on this tall boy has a gun metal grey and hammered metal appeal, just to score some extra brownie points on my book.  To introduce a hint of Asian flair into the space (such as the faux bamboo coffee table in our inspiration), I found this little cheerful number with traditional line and a table top that reminds me of the signature Richard Nixon motif by Jonathan Adler.  

For wow factor, I love this classic armchair upholstered in this graphic zebra print, and a pair of faux coral lamps in sumptuous turquoise hit just the right note.  With a few more playful accessories such as the bull dog bookends, yellow globe, and the chic message cards, this home office is all set for business.   


Hope you enjoy this edition of my HomeSense treasure hunt.  Now is your turn to head out and come back to tell me what you caught your eyes at your local HomeSense! 

Happy Weekend everyone ... and more resting for moi.

12 comments:

  1. You always find the best things at HS- love the rug and dresser in the first board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again...another masterpiece. Love the rug and dresser in first shot....these are my favourite posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a design genious. More of this type of look boards please. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Michelle! slightly better by today ... still feeling weak though :(

      Delete
  4. totally agree with the other ladies, you are good at what you do and you always find the best stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these posts, Tim! Fab graphic feel to the first and, of course, I love the yellow accents of the second! Hope you are feeling better soon, Mr. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr! Loving your place with Mr. T ... I need to see more than the little corner of your living room :)

      Delete
  6. love your style. can you pls tell us which HS you go to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... I generally visit the one on Queen and Yonge, the Sherway location, and the few in Kitchener/Waterloo area. Best of luck with your search!

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh - I need that rug. It is EXACTLY what I have been searching for for the living room. I think the kids and I are going for a little car trip tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa ... go check out the Waterloo location! I will be there next weekend ... perhaps i can have a second look again for you :)

      Delete