Thursday, January 3, 2013

DesignMaze 2012 Holiday Special

Hello Thursday and welcome to 2013!!  I wish you all a happy, healthy, and peaceful year.  After all, there was too much sadness in 2012 that "World Peace" is what I look forward to in the new year.  I am grateful to be living in Toronto, a vibrant and safe city where I call home, and last night I hosted a "post holiday party" to share laughters, inspiration, and blogging tips with my dear friends before packing the "holiday" up for another 10 months.  

For my first post in 2013, I decided to take a look back at the festive season and invite you to a tour of my home: holiday style.  In case you didn't see my bedroom dressed for the holidays, here is your chance to catch it again.


First impression is always a high priority on my list.  I want my foyer to be intimate, cozy, and inviting.  The smokey blue walls define the space and complement the antique gold starburst mirror, blood orange vase, and creamy white accessories.  Fresh flowers are a must and these are my top picks this year inspired by my visit to Fresh Floral Creation.


After staying on the neutral spectrum for the past two years, I decided to go bold and picked a bright orange as my jumping off point this year.  Clear sparkling glass, matte white, and pale grey ornaments are the perfect partners to balance the intensity and vibrancy of orange.  My buddies Will and Igor are the best and they sent me the most lovely Christmas cards from Europe!  Thanks guys!


(1) soft reindeer hide vs. flat woven delight, (2) calm/serene neutrals vs. cheeful/vibrant orange, and (3) comfortable solid linen vs. intricate geometric patterns: these are the fundamental building blocks for my holiday makeover.


Ambience is key to a cozy party.  On top of having all the lights on dimmers, I also like to have candles all around the house.  The warm glow from the candle lights are absolutely beautiful, but let's face it, I don't want to deal with dripping wax on the table! The Reallite candle offers a realistic flame that flickers and looks just like the real deal.  I first saw these candles on Lindsay's blog and was shocked by how realistic these batteries operated candles look.  Thanks to abbott, a company that offers a full line of home decor accessories (from outdoor entertaining to romantic dinner for two), I am now a happy camper with three of their latest Reallite candles in white!  If you are in the market of drip free wax candle that is children and pets friendly, check out these candles here.  


A couple of my favourite things in the living room: cheerful & luxe poppies, neutral peacock from Dwell Studio, and these whimsy birdies in a brushed gold on silver finish thanks to Tim of Beresford Inc.   


Before I walk you through the details in the dining room, here is the fireplace vignette accentuated with bright red winter berries.


The dining room is dramatic and is a visual feast to the eyes.  Here are a couple of tips on how to achieve the look in your own home:


Inspired by the out-of-this-world gorgeous ceiling treatment at Fresh Floral Creations and Shannon's dining room, I decided to hang a few ornaments in shinny copper for a showstopper chandelier.  It is easy to do and the result is incredible.  I give this two thumbs up and you should try this at home!


I love my oversized mirror in the dining room for the beautiful reflection of the dynamite wallpaper on the opposite wall, and how the mirror bounces off light to brighten up the darkest corner in my condo.  To give the mirror a special treatment, I paired it with an over-scale square wreath.  I added peacock feathers for subtle hits of vibrant blue and these gorgeous herringbone ribbons from Penny Paper Co. were perfect for the task.  

I also have to point out my new love in the dining room, a pair of doggie prints by Valerie Davide for Trowbridge!  I fell in love with them when I first saw them at the preview ... thanks so much HomeSense!!


One thing I love about my condo is the long, beautiful sightline from my bedroom all the way to the kitchen, especially when the foyer is filled with sumptuous blooms. 


My kitchen is dressed in navy blue, creamy white, polished silver, and a hint of muted gold for a festive winter wonderland.  Thanks HomeDepot for the adorable silver penguin and the whimsical ornament from the Martha Stewart collection.  


Before wrapping up our tour, here are a couple of my favourite shots from the photo shoot.  I hope you enjoyed my guided tour and were inspired to try some of the ideas in your own home for Christmas 2013!  


13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing our Reallite Candles with your wonderful readers and followers Tim! You have a beautiful space! You inspire many! Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! The candles are just gorgeous and they were a big hit at the party! Looking forward to the amazing Spring/Summer collection at abbott!

      Delete
  2. Love your home Tim and was so happy to see it/you last night. Everywhere you looked, there was a whole lot of pretty! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V! Glad you all had a blast last night ... and it warms my heart that you like my place for Christmas :) Now I may just have to keep the tree up for a year!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the personal tour and lovely get together Tim...I can attest to the fact that you beautiful home is even more exquisite in person- so many gorgeous moments/vignettes!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww ... thanks C!! so happy to see you again and get to spend more time to chat! Love to have you at my place anytime!

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh, it would have been so fun to have been there last night - sounds like so much fun!

    Your home is a STYLE feast! Love your copper decorations statement piece. Also love the Penguin book art in the kitchen - love the colour block in those covers! Also can't believe that my card matches your decor so well, what are the chances out of all the holiday cards?! Funny!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Will!! I would love to have you joining us! Be sure to let me know when you plan to visit Toronto. I will throw you a welcome party!!

      So happy to hear you like my decor ... your complements meant lots to me! You know how much I love your work and what a talent ball of creativity and style you are!

      I know hey ... your card is just perfect! I LOVE it!

      Delete
  5. Tim, your homes looks so festive and perfect for celebrating with family and friends. I hope you enjoyed the season and wishing you all my very best for a happy, healthy and successful 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREAT photos and pretty ideas. I always love seeing photos of your gorgeous space.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in awe of your design talent, Tim! I like how your pieced so many different elements that are unlikely to be seen grouped together, yet they turn out to be so stylish and eye-pleasing. And where have you been all this time, the square wreath? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely one of my 2012 highlights, too. A great and cool blogger meet-up in Munich! Calls for another one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I am late to the party! :) I found your apt on Pintrest and am totally in awe of your talent. Plus I love that chandelier! What is it made out of? It really reminds of Chihuly glass!

    Michi

    ReplyDelete