Monday, December 24, 2012

Big-Box Challenge w/ Sarah Richardson: Flooring

Hello Monday and Happy Christmas Eve!! I hope you all are done with your shopping and the house is all decorated for the festive occasion.  My condo is almost ready for guest and today will be my final push to get it all wrapped up (you can have a little sneak peek here).  I decorated my place for the holidays with muted neutrals for the last couple of years ... but not this year!! Chris is definitely very happy for my use of vibrant colors this Christmas, and I have to say: I am loving it!


Speaking about using rich colors, I am crazy about Sarah's use of earthy hues in the basement of her big-box challenge.  The two-toned wall treatments of all the rooms are sensational, and when pairing with crisp white trims/baseboards and the engineering hardwood floor with a beautiful walnut finish, these rooms are standout!

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Bradford
For a lesson on how to select the right flooring for your own house, check out this informative video by Sarah:  


Can you believe this room is in the basement? I have seen this space (Thanks Ken of Fieldstone Windows for taking me along on a hot summer day) when it was still with deep blue walls and tired carpet.  With a brighter and larger window, bye-bye to the popcorn ceiling, sumptuous wall treatment, and gorgeous wood flooring, this is a master bedroom I would love to move-in in a heart beat!  I love the pair of tall vintage table lamps.  Lucky me to have found a pair similar a month ago ... just have to wait for the right project to come along.

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Bradford
Here is the light-filled family room and it is nothing short of spectacular, thanks to the enlarged windows.  These windows have absolutely transformed the space from typical sub-level blah to ground level knockout.  I also love the use of red in the basement for warm, visual impact, and what a bold statement!  The neutral panelled walls and shimmery grasscloth wallpaper are definitely ones of my favourites.  Sarah's thoughtful room layout maxes out seating capacity in the space,while the three distinct seating arrangements add a sense of coziness to the space.

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Bradford
A closer look of the seating options and a casual writing hook vignette.  I love the relaxed sensibility of the furnishing and how inviting the family room feels.  

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Bradford
You all know I love the charming nautical look and this guest bedroom offers something more: stunning faux bamboo accent and the polka dot fabric from Brunschwig & Fils on the pair of chairs and toss pillows.  Other design elements I am crazy about in this room include:

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Bradford
To achieve a similar look in your own home, consider using some of these items available at your local Lowe's locations.  Only one more day to go before Christmas.  Are you all excited yet? I AM!! 

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Bradford

1 comment:

  1. I just got a part time job in the flooring department of a big box store! Can't wait to help home owners with their flooring choices. Sarah's basement looks amazing. Those windows make all the difference! Merry Christmas Tim!

    ReplyDelete