Monday, December 3, 2012

2012 Holiday Gift Guide: west elm

Happy first Monday of December 2012!! It is official and the advent calendar has started ... we are now only 22 days away from Christmas!  You all know I'm HUGE on Christmas, and you can see my holiday decoration for the past couple of years here & here.  I am working hard on a fantastic palette and you will all get to see it very soon.  As for today, we are shopping at west elm.


I have never seen an all white Christmas complemented by natural elements I don't adore and this beautiful collection at west elm is no exception.  Some may think that an all white scheme is too "cold and uninviting".  However, with the use of natural elements like soft, fluffy feature, untreated wood, and a touch of glitzy silver, the overall look is charming, cozy, and has an organic sensibility.  To me, this is truly a winter wonderland.
  

Now if you want a palette that is a touch warmer and a collection with glamour factors, this is IT!  While the cream & grey color palette serves as a calm and neutral backdrop, the use of muted gold, the faux fur pillow, the tufted back cushions on the sofa all screams luxurious living.  I love how the visual team juxtaposed this polished elegance vignette with a rustic, handcrafted coffee table ... just for good measure.          


I am crazy about gold these days and so is the retail world.  However, it is also a tricky color to use and if not apply appropriately, the space may well become a throwback of the 80s.  Here is now I inject gold in my space:  


On a different note, west elm has also launched a brand new collection, "The Market", that is designed to look after our everyday needs from kitchen, garden, care & repair, and personal care.  All the products are selected with us in mind, and the goal is to make our lives just a little easier.  

I love the care & repair collection with lots of reminder from my childhood memories.  Check out these vintage inspired items that simply put a smile on my face: traditional shoe shine, old fashion iron nails, and a fire starter kit in a test tube.   


I don't know about you ... a neatly organized home is what I want to come home to after an insanely busy day.  Not that my house is organized in any manner at this point (thanks to busy schedules and boxes of holiday decoration), but a boy can make a wish in December right?  Dreaming aside, here is how west elm can help to keep your house tidy and clean.


Kitchen is the heart of the home, and the kitchen market at west elm is truly equipped with everything you need to master your gourmet creations.  I am so sending Chris over to pick up his favourites.   


In this kitchen, west elm looks after your needs from baking to searing.  For my own kitchen, I need a a new rolling pin (I accidentally melted the last one while I preheat the oven ... yes, no more baking for me) and this one piece, solid wood pin is on top of my list. 


How many times have we walked into the cosmetic section only to find that only 10% are for men? west elm now carries a full line of skin care defence for men from (1) hand soaps, (2) shaving + after shave, to (3) even a product labelled "Down There Repair".  If you are looking for the perfect gift for HIM, come check these out at west elm.


Happy shopping and YAY, Christmas is only 22 days away!!

10 comments:

  1. Looking pretty tempting Tim! There is something so alluring about the feel of old markets. Will have to get myself over there to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely isn't it? West Elm did a great job this year with their items and I so wanted to just wrap them all up and take them home!

      Love to hear what you picked up!

      Delete
  2. Oh West Elm...how I love it!
    The market looks fantastic, Tim!
    The closest W.E. is an 8 hour drive down to the States, so thanks for giving me this lovely little store tour ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! yes we are a lucky bunch in Toronto. Would love to have you here for a visit! come come...

      Delete
  3. I'm such a West Elm addict, I adore their stores. I'm yet to see their MARKET collection in person so it was fun to see how they translated the range in store, and, of course, they've merchandised it up a TREAT! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. ... are they in UK too Will? The MARKET is to-die-for. ... so interesting and reminds me so much of the old school general store .. which I love!

      Delete
  4. So many pretty things - you have a great eye Tim!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! and Yes. .. go check out the market Wendy!

      Delete
  5. Great round-up! My parents and I checked out the market when they were here visiting. It wasn't completely set up but a lot of the stuff was out. Great gift ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That gold pillow is really all I need this holiday to glam up the space! I have loads and loads of black/gold/glam but what's another metallic accent piece right?? Go big or go home honey! Awesome roundup!

    Also- I’m hosting a décor-to-dress giveaway where 3 winners will WIN a fabulous frock of their choice just in time for the holidays! Hope you’ll stop by to enter the contest!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture Blog

    ReplyDelete