Friday, November 23, 2012

Big-Box Challenge w/ Sarah Richardson: Mudroom

Happy Friday! It has been an insanely busy week for me with deadlines at work, events/functions in the evenings, and decorating my place for Christmas so you all get to see what inspired me for this holiday season.  First impression provokes both the visual and emotional senses, and that is why my foyer is generally the area I decorate first.  It has to look fantastic to wow the guests but at the same time, it has got to be practical and functional.  After all, this is a super high traffic area and you don't want to worry about wiping the floor every time your guests come in with semi-wet boots.  And this is Sarah's lesson on how to create big impact in small spaces.

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
This week's challenge is to take an utilitarian area like the mudroom and turn it into an inviting and charming space that is big in style (I love the tongue & groove panels on the ceiling), and A+ on ingenious storage and practical solutions. 

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Here is Sarah on Mudroom Makeover:


The mudroom is sensational isn't it?  I absolutely love the soft robin's egg blue and sandy taupe colors on the walls, and how fresh the space looks with artwork, creamy white on doors, trims/shelves, and the white washed finish on the knotting pine ceiling.  Here are a couple of tips I picked up from this week's webisode:

* Dress it up: just because it is a mudroom (generally lower priority in the budget department) doesn't mean that you should pay less attention to your choice of materials or application.  In fact, one should pay additional attention to the quality of the doors, hardware, and flooring options when renovating a mudroom because it is such a high traffic area. 

Solid paneled doors do not only dampen the noise, they also feel better on hand, and stand a much better chance up against wear and tear.  Travertine tiles are 100% natural materials, come in a variety of sizes, and they are in the color of dirt.  How perfect is that for a mudroom in our climate!  For an extra special finishing touch, consider installing a mosaic tile boarder and voila, you now have a tile carpet right by your door!    

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
* Built-in Look for Less: installing custom built-in at the foyer with shelves and a bench can cost some damage to the wallet.  Here is how Sarah injects some serious practical storage/organizational solutions for a charming country look with materials + supplies from Lowes.  A couple of high shelves are supported by brackets that mimic vintage corbels and outfitted with sea grass woven baskets as attractive storage.  Two prongs hooks installed at various heights to encourage members of all ages to stay organized.  A simple DIY bench custom to size offers comfortable seating to put on shoes.  The spot underneaths the bench is perfect location to house our favorite shoes and boots.  

image via Sarah Richardson Design, courtesy of Stacey Brandford
Inspirational isn't it? I am in love with this mudroom, and Sarah's attention to detail got me again!  Love the tongue and groove beadboard, the beach-inspired color palette (one of Sarah's signature palettes), the tile carpet, and hooks in a rubbed bronze finish for hits of black (and sophistication) in this light, airy, neutral space.  Here is a closer look of some materials used in this mudroom makeover:

So what is your favourite element in this mudroom, and which area do you normally start when you decorate for Christmas?  Happy decorating!

3 comments:

  1. I love love love this mudroom. Its so welcoming and cheery and has all the storage and function you could want. Great recap Tim!

    I need to start Christmas decorating this weekend too! I usually start with putting up the tree. The most time-consuming task, but also the most rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dream of having an entryway this spacious - so fabulous! I love how she included a little bench by the front door, it really helps with taking shoes on and off instead of having to walk through the house to find a chair every time! Happy weekend, Mr!

    P.S. I started decorating a little this weekend, too! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally! I am so doing this in my future home ... just so cozy and inviting. Forget about it being the mud room, I want it for my entrance!!

    My tree is finally up and now I need to start a major cleaning up. Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete