Wednesday, September 19, 2012

House & Home Showhome: 2012 Edition ~ Part I

Happy Wednesday!  Have you heard of the Princess Margaret Welcome Home Sweepstakes?  This is a master piece carefully planned and executed by Lynda Reeves, the Publisher of Canadian House & Home, her team of dedicated designers, and many top Canadian talented architects, landscape designers, and generous sponsors who donated their products, time, and hard work to make this dream family home becomes a reality.

The inspiration for this year's 6500 square feet Showhome is classic stone farmhouse (value at $4.3 million!).  Last year's fantastic destination was wine country villa-inspired home and you can read about my tour here.  I am honoured to be invited to a special blogger preview of the breathtaking Showhome last week and let me tell you, I was the last guest to leave the house that evening!  

image credit: National Post Home
Our evening started at the backyard with live music, delicious bite size treats, and the chance to chat with Suzanne Dimma, Editor-In-Chief of Canadian House & Home (you all know how much I love her tranquil cottage), and Margot Austin, Senior Design Editor, whose PEI's cottage is absolutely adorable!   I love the entire house, but if I have to pick one favourite spot out of this 6500 square feet home, I would have to say the backyard.  It is cozy, inviting, with a deck right off the stunning kitchen, a "boardwalk" off the living room featuring these incredibly sophisticated folding glass doors, the juxtaposition between stone and grass, and the attractive architectural elements (i.e. the juliette balcony, the black frames of the windows and doors, and the farmhouse inspired siding)  from the exterior of the house.  


Right off the "boardwalk" is this charming great room with double height ceiling and a stone fireplace that captivates your eyes the moment you step into the room.  The creamy walls and light colored sofa + arm chairs bring a sense of airiness to the room, while the dark, patterned area rug helps ground the space.  The drapery panels are a perfect medium to connect the light and dark elements for a serene and crisp living room.  

A classic, high contrast blank + cream palette with doses of neutrals and a hint of industrial flair is the overall design direction for this year's Showhome.  Here is a shot that says it all.


While we are still in the great room, please welcome Lynda Reeves who will take us for a private tour starting from the front door.


This elegant dining room features a sculptural dining table, elegant dining chairs with light blue upholstery, a gas fireplace, and of course this showstopper industrial chandelier.  What an unexpected surprise!  Love this unique mirror and bleached wood inspired demilune chest for a light and pretty vignette.  See how the raw iron hardware on the chest echos the pendant in the jewel-like servery with high gloss cabinet for extra sparkles?  Love it!    


The kitchen is luxe and nothing short of spectacular.  The black IKEA kitchen is all dressed up with an extra thick carrara counter top, two double stainless steel sinks, a sleek AGA stove, and a marble ledge for kitchen essentials.  This kitchen situates at the back of the house and it truly serves as the heart of the home with a classic mid-century modern dining zone, and a super comfy lounging area to entertain guests.    

My favourite element of the kitchen is this custom marble island.  Gigantic in size, it offers a practical surface for food preparation and houses a microwave drawer, a dishwasher, and a couple of fridge drawers.  Now that is a creation with both brain and beauty.


Refinished in matte black to match the IKEA cabinet exactly, this wall unit gives the kitchen a mod statement piece and offers plenty of open and closed storage.  The pair of metal pendants above the island works perfectly in the kitchen for scale and volume.  


Are you ready to tour the dinning room and kitchen with Lynda?  I am!


The foyer and the study also have a special spot in my heart.  Both rooms feature natural elements (such as the chandelier, the console table, chunky reclaimed wood shelves, and all the firewood), bold statement pieces with colors (acid green rug in the foyer, preppy orange linen slipcovered arm chairs in the study), and a sense of calmness and serenity.   


Our last tour of the main floor, the secrets to a relaxed, charming, and sophisticated study with Lynda Reeves.


 I wasn't kidding when I told you I was the last guest to leave (see the staff just locked the front door) and can you spot me in the backyard?
image via Sense and Simplicity
A big thank you to House & Home for hosting such a fantastic blogger preview and more importantly, sharing with me a lot of inspirations for my own home.  


I hope you enjoy the tour as much as I do, and the Showhome is now open to public.  Be sure to check out this master piece in person and don't forget, tickets are now on sale!  For as little as $100, you can help conquer cancer in our lifetime and this exquisite home could be yours!


12 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for taking us on the tour, Tim! Shall we just move in (granted I might have to add a few more brights, but that's OK, right?!) and have a massive party in that fab back yard...! You in? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEAL!! and yes, I would love a few Mr. Bazaar's brilliant touches in the house as well!

      Delete
  2. I love show homes and idea houses, but I have to say, I'm not sure I've ever loved an exterior more than this one. Ok, I'm not wild about the landscaping in front, but I adore the architecture and siding choices. There's something sort of vintage modern cottage about it that really speaks to me. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Erin! I love all the architectural elements too! Come back Friday for a tour of the bedroom and the basement :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so in love with that backyard landscaping Tim. The H&H Folks have done it again...beautiful ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for sure my favourite ... the backyard. And I love this year's showhome the best as well. So inviting and cozy

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for having me Seema! It was truly my pleasure :)

      Delete
  5. thank you for the tour tim - saw some of this over at jen's but you did it a little bit more detailed. Love the great room and kitchen of this house the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too Vel! Come back on Friday for the 2nd part of this house tour!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this tour. I adore the rustic details in the home - especially the thick wood plank shelving and wood storage in the study.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a beautiful job on photographing this stunning home !

    ReplyDelete