Monday, September 17, 2012

A Date with Prague: Part III

Hello Monday!  This is my third date with Prague, and by now I think we know each other well enough that it maybe time for me to look for my dream house!  Prague is a city full of historic buildings where a couple of years old building really isn't anything special.  For a person who has a love affair with houses embellished with heritage architectural detail, this is a dream comes true.

Check out House #1:  located right at Old Town Square, this five storey building with the incredible "bay window" corner has a similar vibe of the Neuschwanstein Castle.  It is certainly a strong candidate for the first chapter of House Hunter International.  The fact that Hugo Boss is right at my foot step also added a few extra bonus points to House #1.


House #2 is located a couple of blocks away from House #1 and shares similar design aesthetics as House #1.  A major strong point unique to House #2 is the gorgeous balcony with arches supported by columns and the stone banister railings for a delicate touch.  You know how much I love condo living with a balcony, decision making is getting tougher.  


House #3 is also located in Old Town Square, and if House #1 and #2 are the white swans, then House #3 is definitely the dark swan.  Dramatic in colors and decadent in decorative details (check out the gold embellishment around the windows!), this building definitely stands out from the crowd.  With Rolex around its corner and Prada sits across the street, this building is dreamy but is probably be out of my reach. 

House #4 locates at the outskirts of Old Town Square.  This vibrant and cheerful three storey building is more affordable than all the other options and the neighbourhood is casual, relaxed, and far less touristy.  I think House #4 is a much better fit for our lifestyle and I can see Chris + I living happily in our new neighbourhood.       

Thought I will share House #5 that I didn't go see: modern architecture that gives me a weird vibe.  Maybe it is just me, but I don't think I will be relaxed living in this building.  What you do think? 


First impression is also very important when you are house hunting, and here are a few grant entrances that had me at hello.  I love the ornate carving of the door, the complementary stone columns + archway, and the intricate tile work for an unmistakably authentic statement.


Say hello to the exquisite pattern + colorways on these double doors, and did you see the hardware? OMG is right!  I just love the pink and blue color palette with a touch of gold for a luxurious touch.  This set of doors actually belongs to a church.


A couple of entrances with impressive arches and delicate iron work that reminds me some luxe hotels in  New York City.  These maybe a touch too formal for me, but I sure do appreciate the grandeur of these entrances.     


This, my friend, is the perfect door to go with House #4.  I love the moulding details and how it feels sophisticated yet inviting.  


One last element that I would love to incorporate in my dream house is a dramatic starry ceiling.  I heart the juxtaposition between the richness of the gold and the vibrancy of the deep teal blue.  This ceiling maybe a touch dramatic for Chris, so maybe a lighter version will seal the deal.  Wait, maybe instead of applying this to the ceiling, I will have my starry night on the walls for a sumptuous powder room!

Speaking about sealing the deal, here is the lifestyle that capture our hearts.  Whether it is day time or night time, the Old Town Square is full of life and happy folks enjoying their time at the outdoor cafe.  With such impressive buildings as backdrop, who wouldn't want to spend their evenings here during those warm summer nights?  


This you may not know, but I am actually a fan of classical music.  One thing I learned about Prague is that they have concerts happening almost every night and the tickets are rather affordable.  Here is the concert hall in The Municipal House.


Chris, Ruth (Chris' sister) and I had an amazing time enjoying the live concert.


By now you must be convinced to at least come to Prague for a visit.  We stayed at Dahlia Inn during our four day visit, and I would definitely recommend Dahlia for its location, cleanliness, sense of style, and most importantly, the fantastic hospitality from the owner Mark.  


We all had a blast at the trip (yes we were all taking pictures like crazy ... well, more just me really) and I have made a commitment at Charles Bridge to return to Prague soon!

Today is also giveaway announcement day!  Now for those of you who have entered the pillow giveaway from Tonic Living, the computer has done its magic and selected comment #61, a lovely husband who picked a navy ikat dot pillow for his wife.  How sweet is that!  Please contact me for your contact information and I will set you up with Janine


16 comments:

  1. Oy Tim, you make we want to go back so badly!! I kind of love that modern building - it is called Dancing House or Fred and Ginger (after the famous dancing duo) and was designed by our own Frank Gehry in collaboration with a Czech architect Vlado Mulinec. I love the wavy windows along the side. But the Art Nouveau stuff is really where my heart lies - and there is so much of it in Prague! I have been so enjoying your tour, it is a very special city to me, and you have really done it justice. Na zdravi! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea Lisa it is a famous building!! Maybe I should see how it looks inside before I say "No" to it. I think the "wavy windows" somehow made me think of war time and building being destructed. That's why I didn't get a good vibe when I saw it.

      You were living in Prague before Lisa?

      Delete
  2. Love the architecture - that alone is worth a visit. Thanks for these beautiful posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to hope on a plane right now and go to Prague!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing architectural details, Tim! You've captured it wonderfully!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Igor! Now you know why I was so crazy about Munich! Have fun in London this week!

      Delete
  5. Tim, amazing photos, as usual. In the hotel vignette with the huge flower behind the bed, is it a wall decal or was the design stenciled on in paint. Very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! The flower is actually a design stenciled on in paint. Yes it is huge and I thought it was a wall decal but upon close inspection, it was actually painted on. A great place to stay when in Prague!

      Delete
  6. Isn't the architecture of Prague breathtaking? Did you see the famous clock in Old Town Square? You couldn't of missed it!

    Dekuji!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see the clock! Was having dinner at the Square and saw the clock in action a couple of times. love Prague! I also tried the dumpling as well .... Chris' Grandma has a secret recipe and man her bread dumplings were so yummy!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous architecture. Prague has always been one of my must visit cities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it Jen! and the people there are so friendly!

      Delete
  8. Your photos show the beauty of Prague - and to think that I had no idea it was so historical, colourful, grand and intriguing. Thanks for sharing, Tim! BTW, I looove house #4, it's so cute and the colour is awesome. Please buy it so that I can come visit you ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Prague is an amazing city and yes I would love House #4. It is quaint and cheerful ... I will need to get that green front door as well :)

      Delete
  9. Your blog has made me SO excited for my upcoming (sadly, DAY) trip to Prague!!

    ReplyDelete