Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Date with Prague: Part I

Hello Wednesday and we are in Prague!!  They don't call it the "Golden City" for no reason and I left after my four days trip to Prague feeling very jealous of the locals who get to live in the city.  The history and the architectural details of the landmarks, the amazing stone work on the roads, the vibrant and charming quality of the old town, and of course the home decor & accessories stores: just to name a few of my favourite things in Prague.

Today, we are taking a private boat cruise along the Vltava river.  It is the longest river in Prague and serves as the main transportation hub for centuries.  I was told that the water is actually clean enough for swimming!  With no swimwear at hand, this private boat (which screams perfect nautical to me with its crisp, classic blue and white + rich wood tone) will take us along the Vltava river and offer us a different lens of the city otherwise wouldn't be available by foot.  Ready to hop on board? I am!

Here comes the million dollar shot: a breathtaking view of the Prague Castle from the middle of the Vltava river.  I love how the town and the castle blend in together beautifully through the use of orange and cream, with the St. Vitus Cathedral standing proudly in the middle.  


Of course the boat cruise wouldn't be completed without a shot of the famous Charles Bridge.


See I wasn't kidding when I said the you can actually swim in this river!  Here is a beach right by the Kafka Museum and I actually spotted two couples taking wedding pictures on this beach.  See this silvery ball object? You will find out what it is in a bit.  This old tower on the right has been standing along side with the river for centuries and I just adore those amazing windows! Can you imagine having windows like these in our home? Sign me up for some! 

In the middle of the river comes this handsome green building with amazing patina on its copper dome and roof.  My jaw was dropped on the floor when our guide told us it is actually a hydroelectric power plant! 


One of the benefits of taking the river tour on a small boat is that it can also take you into the river channels where the large one simply couldn't.  Don't we all feel like we are in Venice?


After the boat cruise, we walked along the Vltava river and spotted this big baby (actually there were three of them) by the Museum Kampa.  Remember the silver ball I showed you earlier? It is actually a hot air balloon!  If you are not afraid of height, I would highly recommend this tour for a bird eye view of this stunningly beautiful city.


The city's builders in Prague must have the best sense of style ever ... check out these railings and they are painted Kelly Green! I love the art deco vibe of the design and would definitely love to have something similar in my own home (future home that is).

Speaking about element of my dream home, how about a courtyard just like this?  Love the stripe stone work and what a fantastic place for outdoor entertaining!



I have turned into a sucker for heritage fascia in the exterior department over the years.  However, this welcoming, contemporary "Boat Office" has certainly nailed a new perspective in my head and reminded me how much I appreciate modern construction. 


After an afternoon of exciting boat cruise and relaxing walk along the river side, it is time to sit down to enjoy a nice meal.  Minutes away from the river front is Cafe Louvre, my favourite restaurant in Prague!  This cafe has been serving delicious meals since 1902 and believe me, your visual senses are also in for a treat the moment you stepped into the restaurant.    


I died and gone to decor heaven when I saw the moulding details on the walls, ceiling, the grass cloth wallpaper with the most delightful and elegant bird + botanical scene.  The decorating direction maybe a touch traditional for some, but I believe elements here can be a total winners when pairing with mid-century modern pieces.

Check out the food presentation!  Of course they are also in one of my favourite color palettes: white, cream, green, with a touch of black!

Another thing I love about Prague is that you never know when you will be treated with fireworks on your way home.  Totally unexpected (and apparently locals can have fireworks at their pleasure) and I felt like I belong here! 

9 comments:

  1. A great first round up of Prague, Tim! It's funny becuase all your shots are so summary and fresh and then the fireworks video feels cosy and holiday-like! P.S. I don't like boats AT ALL but your trip does sound like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what, I normally don't like boats either. .. I get motion sickness very easily and I took like 3 pills before I got on it and didn't feel a thing. It's a great way to check out the city :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, im stunned by the architecture in Prague. It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your snaps, Tim!! I've been to Prague during winter and it was so fairytale like! Looks like I should get there in summer, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so maybe I need to go back in December next time I am back to Germany! Paris or Prague ... hm...

      Delete
  4. Wonderful Tim! Thanks so much for taking us on this tour! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have heard so many good things about Prague - really need to get there. Tim, don't tell me these pics are using your iphone - they are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes V .. you should check out Prague. It is such a fantastic city to visit. Most of the pictures are actually from iphone but the overall shot of the castle and the bridge is from my little canon point shoot. Time for me to get the big gun soon!

      Delete
  6. I am so jealous that you were there! I'd say Prague, Paris and New York are my favourite cities! But Prague has a special place in my heart as that is where my family is from! It is where my parent's are from and where my family still lives! I can't wait to go back!

    ReplyDelete