Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Word of Wisdom: Wallpaper with Vanessa of Decor Happy

Hello Wednesday!  Today we have Vanessa of Decor Happy to share with us her love affair with designer wallpaper.  You all know I love using wallpaper in projects and my own home, so you can imagine my excitement when I saw the ones Vanessa used in her own home ... so gorgeous!! 

Enjoy ladies and gents!    

***************************************************************************************

Hello Design Mazers! So happy to be here while Tim is having a jolly old time in Europe (he's not actually in England but couldn't resist saying that!)

Tim and I have a love of wallpaper so I thought I would share where I have used it in my home, provide some tips as well as some inspirational images.

Photo credit: K West Images

This photo was taken for my Style at Home feature and in the background you can see the wallpaper in my  entryway. I just papered the one wall as the entry is open concept and there wasn't a good spot to stop the paper if I had papered all adjoining walls. I love its painterly vibe and that it contains shades of blue. One thing to consider when choosing wallpaper is that the paint colour on the adjoining walls should relate to the wallpaper ground in some way.  In my case, my walls matched the predominant ground colour exactly.  


Isn't she lovely? From working with clients and from my own preferences, I have begun to realize that people have a real gut reaction to various wallpaper patterns - they either love it or hate it. I can show a client 30 samples and they will choose their favourite(s) in about 5 minutes.

Photo Credit: K West Images

This is my daughter's playroom and again I went with a floral. I like what I like! Jen actually spotted this one when we were out sourcing the designer showrooms. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but when I saw how well it paired with the existing blue wall colour, I was sold. Plus, my client (aka my daughter) loved it!

I have wallpaper in one other spot in my home - my powder room. I installed trim/moulding on the bottom of the walls and wallpapered the top. I am currently in the process of replacing the wallpaper I have had for 7 years so don't have a photo to share yet. This is the wallpaper I chose and yes, surprise, surprise, it's a bold floral!:


So you are probably wondering, what does Mr. Decor Happy think of all this floral? Lucky for me, my hubby is easy-going/not that interested, so he is fine with all of the floral! Note though, that I used the wallpapers in spaces where he doesn't spend a lot of time (playroom, entry, powder room). I was considering using wallpaper (not a floral!) in his Den/Man Cave but I think three focal walls of wallpaper (plus the powder room) is a little too much. I don't think I could wallpaper an entire room in wallpaper.  I know me - I would get tired of it too quickly! Small doses = more longevity in my book!

Here are some other inspirational images I love via Pinterest.

Original Source:  Good Homes via Bright Bazaar

The polka dot wallpaper is so perky and I love it paired with the kelly green and other prints. Interesting that they carried it up onto the second floor.

Original Source: Neuvo Estilo via Plush Palate

I have had this dining room pinned for over a year and it's one that I often show to clients as a good example of how wallpaper can enhance a space.  Even though this space is lovely, it wouldn't be the same without the wallpaper. The source says the wallpaper is Jane Churchill's Palmira but I have had no success in finding it - I'm guessing it's discontinued.


Schumacher's Chenonceau wallpaper has been a long time fave and I love how it reinforces the neutral colour scheme while adding character to this dining room.

So, have I convinced you to try wallpaper in your home? I promise you that if you find one that you love, it will bring a smile to your face every time you see it!

Thanks for having me Tim! Can't wait to hear all about your travels when you return!


***************************************************************************************

Now are you itching to try wallpaper in your home? Surely paint does offer a quick and easy transformation, but wallpaper just take the makeover to a whole new level with the intricate pattern and its limitless colorways.  I love the watercolor inspired wallpaper Vanessa used in her hallway and certainly totally crazy about the Chenonceau wallpaper from Schumacher!

I know I hardly have any walls left in my condo for yet another wallpaper application.  However, after a quick trip to Designers Walk, I'm inspired to wallpaper yet one more wall in my home.  Which wall could it be? Which paper caught my eyes? You just soon find out!       

10 comments:

  1. Great inspiration here! Wallpaper is such a great tool to enhance interiors. However, wallpapering needs good consulting, consideration and planning. And it can totally change a room's ambiance. Love the polka dots, so quirky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. totally! have done it twice in the condo and the second one was installed upside down!! lesson learned and know better to supervise on my next (perhaps last) wallpaper adventure at my condo!

      Delete
  2. Love it! What a great post Vanessa - I have to say I had your powder room paper in my head for so long after I saw it in person - it really made me wish I had a powder room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too!! only if I have a powder room to decorate!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for having me Tim! Can't wait to see what wallpaper you chose from our trip to Designer's Walk! Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks V! Now I just have to get those other ones we ordered for me to make the final call!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for including the polka dots space from Good Homes on my blog, Vanessa! I loved that space too, esp. the bold hit of green against the wallpaper. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that polka dots too! Totally lucked out to have found a polka dot table cloth in minty green and white in Germany! Will have to turn it into bedding essentials!

      Delete
  5. I just recently "discovered" wall paper - not the fancy, artistic ones, just plain jane wall paper from Lowe's which i used for my powder room here..http://buhayatbahay.blogspot.com/2012/06/powder-room-before-and-after.html

    However, now that I'm planning to do my dining room in grasscloth wallpaper, do you think honestly, with one wall-papering escapade, I could manage this type of wallpaper? Anyhow, I love your beautiful inspirations especially that gorgeous entry from pinterest!!!!!thank you Vanessa!

    ReplyDelete