Friday, August 31, 2012

Word of Wisdom: Faux Grass on Balcony

Happy Friday everyone! Remember this balcony from Summer 2011 with soft pastel colors and beautiful wooden floor in an intricate pattern?  I was totally in love with the causal, preppy feel with a hint of morocco sensibility.  You can see more images here.


Of course the serial decorator in me had led me to yet another balcony makeover.  My jumping off point this time is faux grass on the balcony.  I know you are all imagining those horrible fake green plastic versions that don't feel good nor real.  Well, synthetic grass has come a long way and the varieties available at Southwest Greens are definitely winners! 


Made from 100% pure high-grade expanded polypropylene, this non-toxic, lead-free material is easy to install, a lot less maintenance than real grass and eco-friendly in a sense that the turf (a.k.a. artificial grass) requires no water or fertilizers.  The artificial lawn is also a fantastic solution to add softness under foot and a touch of nature with no mud, no mess and no mowing.  The synthetic grass products at Southwest Greens are fully recyclable/ reusable and at $5 to $6 per square foot (plus labour on cutting and installation), grass is the perfect foundation for my lush balcony makeover. 

One way to make sure the grass carpet will fit like a glove upon arrival is to create a template of the space.  In my case, the balcony has a "weird" shape, making it rather difficult for me to just provide a precise measurement to SouthWest Greens.  A trip to the post office and a roll of wrapping paper later, my template is done.  It is important to note on the template the side "facing up", so the grass is actually right side up.  

Heather from SouthWest Greens was fantastic to work with.  After a few quick email to work out the details, my template was on route to Heather for "grass cutting", and within a week I got a roll of grass with my name on it!


In a couple of minutes, my balcony has gone from wood tile to lush green grass!

With a few of my special touches, the balcony is ready for entertaining.  Here are a couple of "bird's-eye" shots to showcase how well the grass looks and fits in the space.  For more images and how the other elements work in space, check out the special feature here



So if you are also thinking about adding a touch of grass to your outdoor space, contact Southwest Greens and see which product is right for you!

12 comments:

  1. Such a brilliant idea Tim. Gives the balcony a great summery feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the best thing is the grass can stay out all year round with zero maintenance!!

      Delete
  2. Tim, you're a real master!!! I am always hesitating with faux grass but you made this balcony look like the nicest little garden ever! I would love such a balcony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Igor! Love this little oasis and that grass totally doesn't look faux ... Technology we have these days are truly amazing. You will have to come for a tea party when you visit Toronto ... soon I hope?

      Delete
  3. I love that you are able to create a totally different feel each year out on your deck. My favourite elements of this year's scheme? That hot to trott rug and the faux grass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Will! I love it this time and I think it will be here to stay (well I said that last time to Chris as well ... so we will see when next summer comes along .. Ha!)

      Delete
  4. Tim, I really admire your design philosophy you really know how to play with different color variations & structures! By the way I +1 your article on google plus so I can share it with my friends. Is it ok with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. most definitely! Thanks so much for visiting and sharing my post with your friends :)

      Delete
  5. Your balcony looks amazing with the faux turf! You are a master of fabric choices and mixing colors/textures. I am sure it will find its way into a design magazine again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy!! I love fabrics and patterns ... that's actually one of the most exciting part of decorating for me with a close second to tile play. Can't wait to read up more on your tile decision!

      Delete
  6. I love it either way!!!! I first encountered faux grass at a friends house and I envied her in the fact that it was maintenance free and eco-friendly! Way to go! I also love your mix of greens and blues - perfect! Hope you enjoy that spot a little while longer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its truly giving the awesome look for your home..and its given me some tips or idea about interior design with this artificial grass turf and I am sure it will be good one. Thanks for this blog post.http://www.syntheticlawnsflorida.com/synthetic-grass-golf-and-putting-greens/

    ReplyDelete