Friday, August 10, 2012

Our Home: Elegant Family Home

Happy Friday and it is time for another tour at "Our Home"!  You have seen the beautifully restored Toronto home by Jennifer of Rambling Renovators, the tranquil and fun Calgary home by Erica of Moth Design, and today we are visiting a gorgeous home belongs to a dear friend of mine.  My camera shy friend (hence no picture of homeowner) is a dedicated mother of 3, a loving wife, and a loyal readers of many design blogs.  Let's our tour begin!


Our first stop is the kitchen and family room.  This timeless kitchen features both open and closed storage, classic shaker panel doors, substantial crown molding all around, a wall of full height pantry, a gas cooktop, a peninsula topped with my very favourite Caesarstone (I installed the same one in my own home), and a sightline to this exquisite family room.


A couple of gallery shots of this all white kitchen and you all know how much I love cream on cream on cream.  I also had lots of fun styling the kitchen for the photos with a couple tricks I learned from Ann Marie during the Style at Home photo shoot at my place last year: less is more + a couple pops of color as accent.  


Here comes the showstopper family room with built-in bookcases, a stately fireplace, and textile storage baskets that disguise the fact that this room is ruled by a few kids on a regular basis (a.k.a gymnastic routine ... daily).  The combination of bamboo blinds and full height drapery panels in this soft yellow and grey palette works harmoniously in the space.  This color scheme also unifies the family room with the kitchen.      


A couple of shots to highlight the feature wall and to show you a pair of dreamy arm chairs designed by none other than my all time favourite designer: Sarah Richardson.  Yes, my dear friend is a proud owner of a pair of Chloe chairs (and I am so jealous).

I might be in charge of the styling and decor department, but my talented friend truly has an impeccable sense of style.  See this owl photography and the pillow with large mother of pearl buttons?  My friend was the mastermind behind these creations.


As for my creation for the space ... you see these gorgeous pillows on the sofa?  Yours truly came up with those, and my personal favourite is the chevron one on the right: we created the zig zag pattern with a regular stripe fabric!  I adore that little piggy box and how it adds a touch of whimsy to the space.


Adjacent to the family room is a light, airy, breezy casual dining area.  The fluid and organic sensibility of the artwork, the natural element from the dining chairs with a drift wood finish, and a simple yet stunning chandelier, I am so having my meal everyday in this room!


Heading up to the second floor, our first top is the girl's room.  I love the creative placement of the bed: set up as a daybed, the headboard now sites against the "side" of the bed.  Just like magic, the full size bed now has a queen size headboard with gorgeous lines and a colorful dress with a leaf motif.  The pastel blue (on bedskirt and accessories) complements the soft pink and apple green beautifully for a cheerful color scheme.


Detail shots of this fairy tale inspired palace fits for a princess.  

I love this cute little reading nook with vintage artwork, a whimsical birdcage, and a cute as a button storage unit upholstered with the star fabric.  Of course all little girls love a tea party in her room, and we have got it covered!  


Our next stop is the boys' room.  These two little men are such lucky bunch as I am sure this is every little boy's dream bedroom.  At least I know I would love a room just like this when I was their age.  The navy blue and raspberry red palette looks crisp and fresh, when pairing with whites and wood in espresso.

The attention to detail of the pillow collection here is incredible, and seriously, these pillows can easily be used in an adult room!  From pirate ship to propeller plane, these lucky boys are only limited by their imagination.    


I love this fun seagull print above the dresser: it puts a smile on my face every time I see it.


To wrap up this round of "Our Home", let's me show you a sumptuous backyard hideaway perfect for summer party.  The blue and orange palette is sophisticated and elegant when pairs with the warm mid-tune grey.  The charming and comfortable bench is ideal for kids to climb on and enjoy their ice-cream while the parents get to dine by the table.  


What an inviting outdoor entertaining hot spot!  I love the boldness and vibrancy of the orange accents.  It adds energy, youthfulness, and it enlivens an otherwise cool blue and grey patio. 


So what do you think? I've told my friend thousands of times that I can live here in a heart beat!  The fact that we are so in sync with our decor sensibility and our love of Sarah Richardson makes me feel that we are identical twins separated at birth.

Thanks so much for inviting DesignMaze into your home, my mysterious friend.   It was truly my pleasure to work collaboratively with you in decorating your home, especially the family room and the patio. Now we just have to get started at that powder room and perhaps a mini makeover for the master bedroom!

31 comments:

  1. wow, this home shows a great style your friend has! everything I saw on the photos is my favourite. love the decor, colours, furniture choices and arrangement... Great tour Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a gorgeous home, just as stunning in person. I love that this home is filled with beautiful things even though there are lots of young kids about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen we should head to M's place for a tea party next time without the camera!

      Delete
  3. wow! what is there not to love about this home?! bright, beautiful and eye catching. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim these photos are fantastic, you're wasting your true talents in your day job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it- this home is a showstopper! I love that it is light, airy, calming, and chic all at the same time. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful Tim and M! She really has an eye and her home looks like something Sarah would design! Fresh, simple and pretty - just the way I like it too! Did you take these photos? They are great - especially the outdoor ones.
    PS is that your Chris' comment above - it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. .. V, no that is Style North Chris above. My Chris hasn't responded yet!

      Delete
  7. Tim,
    Thank you for all of your kind words and lovely feature of our home. I had a laugh out loud moment when you mentioned the gymnastic routines that take place in the family room. We spend most of our time in that room so it gets a lot of physical love! I know that you have witnessed a handstand or two on the sofa.
    It was wonderful to see the photos of the bedrooms. We have been working hard on making those spaces special for our wee ones. I have the talented Jennifer Wellman to thank for helping me pull all of my fabric choices together in those spaces. She envisioned the headboard in Emiko's room as well.
    We need to get a close up shot of those pillows you dreamed up for the sofa as I know your readers will appreciate it. I love all the little details.
    You are truly talented and have a great eye with the camera. I read your post as I was sweeping Cheerios up from breakfast this morning and thought to myself, is that my kitchen? :) xo Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh you are so welcome M! I love your home and you have such great eye for fantastic designs! It was truly my pleasure to tour and style your home for the shoot and my great honour to have such a dear friend!

      Delete
  8. Oh my!! Love, love, love this comfortable and welcoming home! I will be taking inspiration from it in a reno I hope to be doing of a kitchen down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Post! Love the pillows .... I agree a close up shot would be great!! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will get a couple of those pillow shots for you guys! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  10. wow, what a seriously gorgeous home. perfectly designed, i didn't see one thing i didn't like!

    Madebygirl.blogspot.com
    MadeByGirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jen! I love this house as well ... it's fresh, relaxing, and very inviting! I so need to move in!

      Delete
  11. It's a beautiful home. I was wondering if you could please share the wall paint colours. I have a tough time finding a soft grey like the ones I saw on your walls. I have over 50 samples from various home hardware stores, I'm just never happy with the hue.
    Any tips?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will get back to you on that.. have some digging to do on that one :)

      Delete
    2. I found it! The family room colour is Silver Clamshell by ICI. I think that it reads very similar to the well loved Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  12. So lovely- adore how elegant, warm and inviting M's home is...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know hey! super jealous of M's place! we will have to get her to throw us a blogger's party!

      Delete
    2. That would be fun. I would love to host all of my favourite bloggers. :) M

      Delete
  13. Wow....i'd live in this home in a heart beat as well! Did you take these photos tim? Holy smokes, they are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I was the man behind the camera this time! It was a fun and rewarding experience!

      Delete
  14. Such a gorgeous home, M sure has a great eye for combining beautiful fabrics and colours together. Amazing photography, Tim, you have captured the essence of this home with your camera skills!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I had so much fun working with M to decorate her home and of course the styling and photo shoot as well! We will need to have a party at her home next time!

      Delete
  15. What a lovely home, Tim! Love the cream - so warm yet so bright!! And the kids rooms are fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the decor! You both did a great job Tim & M!
    Can you please tell me what paint colour was used in the girl's room? Attempting for the same look/feel/softness for my daughter's. Alison

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Alison,
    Thank you for your kind comments. I will have to look this one up. I believe that it is Cielo Blanco by Pratt and Lambert on the top portion of the walls. The trim is all done in Cloud White by BM.

    I will see if I can find my notes to confirm the colour. We painted the nursery this colour when my twins were together as I wanted a neutral colour. When I made it into her big girl room we kept the walls the same.

    ReplyDelete