Friday, August 17, 2012

Our Home: Behind the Scene Edition

Happy Friday everyone! Remember the amazingly beautiful family home I showed you last Friday?  Well you all are in for a treat today because I have invited my dear friend, the talented and brave woman who let me held her home hostage for 9 hours for the photo shoots + edits, to share her thoughts on what happened during that crazy day.  Enjoy! 

***************************************************************************************

Hello Design Maze readers.  Thank you very much for all of the kind comments you left on Tim's blog about our house.  I have to admit when Tim first asked if I would mind having my house photographed for the blog I was a bit hesitant. Each room still feels like a work in progress and certainly not "camera ready" if you know what I mean.  I have three children 5 years old and under so there are never enough hours in the day to get all of the house projects I dream about completed. Yes, little side table I am talking about you. There is a coat of paint coming your way. Don't get me started on my powder room. Notice we left this space out? But I digress… In any event, Tim reassured me that the process would be fun (and indeed it was) and his readers would be kind (and you were - thank you) so we went for it. Today I thought I would share a few behind the scenes moments from the day. After all, it's not every day that a good friend stops by to give your house a little polish and love.  

I think if you asked Tim the two essentials for a successful shoot he would say cooperative weather (lighting is everything I learned) and incredible flowers. I on the other hand was only concerned with cleaning up the toys (three little people make a lot of mess) and keeping the children out of the house long enough for pictures to be taken. Luckily for both of us, the flower shops at Avenue and Davenport didn't disappoint and my husband took the children on a day trip to his brother's house.




Our shoot began mid afternoon and the weather seemed to be on our side. When Tim arrived with armfuls of flowers in hand I wondered if he had taken out the entire store. He also had several bags filled with treasures from Home Sense that went with our outdoor palette. Lucky me! Our first order of business was to round up vases for all of those flowers. Now I don't know about you but I have 2-3 main vases that I use for flowers in my house. Well, this would not suffice for our shoot as there were to be flowers in every room. ( If it was up to my daughter she would have fresh flowers at her bedside all of the time now.)  Tim started pulling from all different places in the house and got me thinking outside the box about different vessels to hold flowers. My favourite find was the old chocolate milk jug I had sitting on the counter to take back to the store for recycling. With a quick rinse and a dozen yellow orchid stems he had an arrangement that looked amazing. Can you believe that those orchid stems lasted for weeks? They are my new go to flower!

  

Our final preparation for the shoot involved a quick trip to the grocery store on a quest for the perfect golden eggs and croissants. Can you picture us standing in front of the cold case opening cartons of eggs trying to find the ideal shade of brown?  I kid you not - it's all in the details Tim reminded me.

We decided to start with photos of the outdoor space. The table was set - check! The pillows looked great - check!  Good camera on hand - check!  Tripod ready - check!  Perfect photos out of the gate - not so much. You see I use my camera for taking photos of the kids but snapping photos of people is very different than capturing the essence of a space. A first attempt.





Tim showed me to get down low and take the photos with an object off centre.  He focused on capturing moments rather than the whole space at once. Tim has a great eye so I handed him my camera and he went to work. Holding your breath to avoid camera shake was another tip I picked up. Outdoor lighting is amazing and we were thrilled with the way the shots were turning out. Unfortunately, the weather started to take a turn; black clouds rolled in and it started to rain. I wish that I had a photo of our sad faces!


When we moved inside to shoot the interior shots the house looked dark.  Really dark.  Now instinct would tell you to turn on lights or use the flash; however, interior lighting makes the photos appear yellow. Now I know why the family looks a little off in our Christmas morning photos.  Look how dark the first few shots were.  We decided we would wait out the weather and hope for the best. 


While we were waiting, Jen from Rambling Renovators, who happens to live a few streets over, stopped by for a visit. She couldn't have come at a more perfect time.  Jen suggested a quick adjustment of the ISO and aperture and presto - check out the difference. 


The shoot was back on. Thanks Jen!






We were just finishing up the last few close-up shots of the living room when the children came home. It was challenging to get a good close-up of the styling on the ottoman. We could chalk it up to the fading daylight or it may have been the curious little hands we were surrounded by. I think I may have rescued that shell ball in the nick of time!





I want to thank Tim for spending the afternoon dressing my house, filling it with flowers and taking pretty pictures. My favourite shot of the day is below. It captures the true energy of the boys' room and the Sammy the Seagull print is a favourite in our house.


Tim, I love that you captured the house as is (after a thorough clean, de-clutter and edit as they say!). When I worried about the "stuff" on the bookshelves and memo board in the kitchen you told me, "that's life and this is your house".  It was as though our little abode was treated to a day of hair and make up. She even got to sport a few diamonds for the day. (The shell ball and little pig box don't usually live on my ottoman - I know you were wondering.)

Thank you Design Maze readers for indulging me in a behind the scenes play-by-play of our photo shoot.  Perhaps I will get a chance to visit again with photos of a new powder room designed by Tim.  A girl can dream, can't she?


***************************************************************************************

Fun isn't it! I love the behind the scenes thoughts, and glad that M picked up some tips during the photo shoot.  We are indeed working on the powder room and trust me, you will want to see it!  
Happy Weekend everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Great post! I enjoyed the tour of her home so it's fun to hear about it. So honest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gooooorgeous home. The living room's drapery is my fav. Absolutely stunning. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this behind the scenes talk - fabulous. And Jen to the rescue, why am I not surprised??? That girl can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Totally wouldn't be able to capture these shots without Jen!

      Delete
  4. Great post M - you should really write your own blog and become "one of us"! You and Tim are quite the team - love the flowers and all the pretty details. (Glad to see you are getting less camera shy as well.:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! These are such great tips on taking photos and fresh florals in a home really makes a beautiful impact. Have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun to read and see this behind the scenes - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are such a great team, your place looks incredible and Tim's fabulous touch puts it over the top. I always love knowing how the photos I drool over come to be - thanks for sharing guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post M! I agree with the previous commenters - you and Tim do make a grat team. Love how the photos turned out (though it would be hard to take a bad photo of your lovely home).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true!! I am moving in either M takes me or not!

      Delete
  9. love this behind the scenes peek. and the photo tips are worth writing down.

    ReplyDelete