Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Road Trip: Central Park

Hello Wednesday! I am inspired by the beautiful blue sky we have for the past couple of days, and decided to share with you my day at Central Park while visiting NYC.  I have been to Central Park for a couple of times but only at winter times.  So I was particularly excited to check out how this little piece of oasis in Manhattan looks like all dressed in green.    


What a breathtaking view of Manhattan: Central Park is indeed what busy city dwellers need to relax, rejuvenate, and enjoy the great outdoor right in the middle of the concrete jungle.  Sure there were many tourists walking around with their cameras, but Central Park is the place for native new yorkers to come catch some sun, roller blade with friends, or just sit on the big rocks and enjoy the beautiful weather.  


Now if you walk further into the park, you will come to this stunning square with a lot of architectural details.  For someone who is a sucker for traditional stone work, I was truly in heaven.  Just check out that quatrefoil inspired motif with a bloom right in the middle!

Here is the famous fountain and a pigeon flying right next to the angel.  Did you make a wish? I did!


More incredible stone work on the side of the stairs.  Funny I didn't notice them during my last couple of visits.  It must have been too cold and I wasn't in the mood to zoom into the details.  I love this garden and bird stone mural.  It features my favourite flowering branch: dogwood, and many birdies nesting among the branches.


Out of all of the murals, this one is my favourite: mama bird with chicks by her nest.  It gives me a sense of calm, serenity, and warmth.    


Ahh ... the Central Park Boathouse.  I didn't the chance to take a boat ride or have a meal at the restaurant this time, but I will definitely be checking them out when I am in town with Chris.


Have you been to Central Park? Did you take the boat ride and try out the Boathouse restaurant? I would love to hear about your experience at Central Park and would love to know what else to check out the next time I am in town!

13 comments:

  1. Central Park is one of those places that looks super lovely anytime of the year. I think I prefer it in the winter months but it's fun to row the lake in the summer as well! Great snaps, Tim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Central Park is truly magical in the winter months especially after the fresh snow! Loved it last time I was there in December after a snow storm.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous pics Tim. It's been far too long since my visit to New York. Love central Park!

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! only I just came back a few weeks ago ... have to go again. NYC = HEART!

      Delete
  3. Tim I love Central Park too. When I go to New York which is often but never often enough I stay at a hotel on 7th and 54th... When my youngest was well younger I used to stop at Europa at 57th and pick up a tea and take it to the park. There is a awesome childrens play area. He would play and we would sit there and I used to think to myself ...well this is the life for sure.
    Have you been to the carosel? It was only a buck last time I rode it. And wolman rink,, and Belveder Casstle?
    We rented a row boat one time and that was fun too. You can hear the noise of the city but still feel like you are away from it all. Cheers Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great tips Frances!! I think of all the items you have on the list, I have only done Belveder Castle. Now I have lots of pointers for my next visit to Central Park :)

      Delete
  4. I've been to New York City 3 times! Love just walking around and exploring but if you like baseball you can try to go when the Jays are playing against the Yankees! The new Yankees stadium is so nice and it's an easy subway ride form the city. We've been to the old stadium and also the new one. Such an experience!

    Danica - http://www.countrychicrenovator.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing photos, Tim! I've never been to Central Park (I've never been to NYC at all, actually ... scandal!) but I'm fascinated by the park, its history and especially its architect. One of my life-list goals is to visit the whole list of Olmstead's works and Central Park ranks top among them, so thanks for making me jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to take a stroll through central park right now! Now im itching to visit N.Y.C again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too!! planning my next trip as we speak :)

      Delete
    2. Jealous! Summer time= wedding season...can't find the time to escape away from Toronto for a mini vacay :(

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous pictures Tim. Central Park is a truly magical place.

    ReplyDelete