Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Appreciation Moment: Keri Russell

Happy Wednesday folks!  Today's post is all about the Big Apple.  Yes I'm heading down to NYC for an extra long weekend and thought, why not sharing the Brooklyn home of the beautiful actress Keri Russell (a.k.a Felicity) who introduced me to Dean & Deluca!  

What a gorgeous home! I can live here in a heart beat.  It is traditional/classic home with an edgy/industrial flair.   And the most jaw-dropping part of it all, the couple didn't hire a designer or an architect to give this pre-loved home its facelift ... it was truly a "LABOUR of LOVE" with Keri looked after fabrics and furnishings, while Shane gutted the place to create a blank slate.  

The stunning crown moulding, a sculptural stone fireplace, and an exquisite Ochre chandelier in the living room create the perfect balance to contemporary espresso floor, along with handcrafted table/planter + porthole mirror (above the fireplace) with reclaimed wood.     


Speaking about reclaimed wood, the cabinetry in this kitchen is built entirely from a dismantled post-and-beam house!  I love how the classic shaker doors juxtapose the rustic, edgy espresso stained reclaimed fir.  I also love that Shane had wrapped the wood panel detail around the wall and up to the ceiling to create a dramatic statement, and the perfect spot to house a few bottles of wine and a simple pendant above the island.    


The master en-suite has been completely opened up for a light filled, spacious, and restful retreat.  I actually quite like the "open concept" approach in the master bathroom, especially with one that comes with a velvet Louis XV chair, floor to ceiling drapery panels, and a vanity made out of reclaim board!

I am crazy about the rich wood tone on the bedside table and how it adds warmth and character to this neutral bedroom.  Branches as floral arrangement: simple, organic, and 100% HEART.


Thanks Elle Decor for featuring this relaxed, sophisticated home to us.  I felt in love with it the moment I saw the spreads the June 2011 Issue.  What do you think of Keri's home?

So for my trip to NYC, I will likely spend most of my time in SoHo and these are a few of my must-visit hot spots:

Aero Studio: 419 Broome Street

Bobby Berk Home:  59 Crosby Street

Muji SoHo:  455 Broadway

Jonathan Adler: 47 Greene Street  

MoMA SoHo:  81 Spring Street  

Michele Varian:  27 Howard Street 


As for food, I think this will be a Japanese weekend for me.  It is not like we don't have good Japanese restaurants in Toronto, but I love how there is a mini "Japanese Town" around the Astor Place station and their food are delicious!  Here are my favs:

Panya Bakery:  8 Stuyvesant Street

Soba-ya:  229 East 9th Street

Kenka:  25 St. Marks Pl.


Only a couple more days now!  NYC, here I come ... again!

10 comments:

  1. Love her living room and oohed and aahed over it when I saw it in print as well!
    Coincidentally, I'm leaving for NYC this Friday for a week and have been planning where to go and what to see - thanks for sharing your shortlist! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad I can help! Enjoy your trip :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so envious. I went to NYC earlier this spring and had a blast.
    I also went to the Jonathan Adler store on Green Street and loved EVERYTHING in the store (http://wp.me/p26a6w-Mc). If you get any of those brass bamboo chairs I'll be exceptionally jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dangerous indeed! Love those chairs and now how do I get them back to Canada!

      Delete
  3. Ooooooh, that brick fireplace is breaking' my decor lovin' heart! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Keri's home. Its so relaxed and comfortable.

    Tim - you need to visit Aero Studios in NYC! Its owned by Thomas O'Brien, Tommy's good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Jen! I visited it a few years back on my first trip to NYC. Was looking for it last time when I was there but it was moved. Thanks for reminding me ... I'm adding it to my list :)

      Delete
  5. OK you have to hit "rice to riches" a rice pudding bar in Soho, it was our family's favourite place for dessert!

    Have fun! And Keri's house is amazingly gorgeous, I loved watching Felicity. The funny thing is my sister looks exactly like her, gets mistaken for her all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha- you made me laugh because whenever I see Keri Russell I too think of Dean & Deluca. I'm so jealous of you being in NYC- have a wonderful time visiting all of the amazing SoHo spots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this apartment, I love the rustic elements paired with the modern!

    ReplyDelete