Thursday, May 24, 2012

Store Alert: HomeSense May Edition

Happy Thursday everyone! Have you been enjoying the gorgeously warm and sunny weather Mother Nature offered us? Let's face it, who doesn't love spring and summer in Toronto after being stuck with sub-zero temperature and grey cloudy sky through out the winter months. With the Victoria Day long weekend came and gone, it is time for us to think patio/balcony season. One thing that all designers have been saying this year is: get your outdoor furniture fast! With the weatherman forecasting an exceptionally warm weather this summer, you just may not be able to find any decent outdoor furniture by mid June.

Today I'm at HomeSense checking out pieces to beautify any outdoor living spaces. deck, balcony, garden, and sunroom. Resin wicker is an extremely low maintenance and highly durable material that suits our harsh Canadian environment. Dreaming a contemporary outdoor dining experience with a set of Ghost Chairs by Philippe Starck? Well, stop dreaming and start your car because HomeSense has got them in both espresso and cloud white.


A close –up to show you the attention to detail and quality of the chair.


Now here is a piece that floored me the moment it caught my eyes.  This metal console combines traditional design elements (faux panel front and moulding) with industrial base for an overall eclectic execution.  The piece is missing a top and for that, this piece is now at deep discount.  I would love to see it with a marble top, if the base can support the weight.  Or you can also use it as an incredibly stylish planter!  Just imagine having this "planter" in your sun room or next to your outdoor dining zone.



One thing I love to put in an outdoor space is mirror.  It helps brighten up dark corners and has the magic to add romantic ambience at those mid-summer nights when the candles are lid.  Have this mirror hung on your fence and it will open up a new portal in your garden oasis.


I have always loved the idea of a three seasons room.  To me, it is the ultimate sweet spot to lounge, relax, and read your favourite novel.  What's the best style for such therapeutic space? I'd say Plantation meets the Hamptons.  This settee is the perfect epiphany of this look with the dark wood stain, spindle style arms, and the classic taupe & blue striped fabric as upholstery.          



Of course we will need more seating in the sunroom.  Here are two rattan options that are high in style and ready to go.  I love the natural bamboo color and how it contrasts against the crisp white cotton seat cushions for a fresh, beachy look.  Moroccan or Chinoiseries, the choice is yours.


Every seating arrangement needs coffee tables and side tables for a place to put down the drinks.  Here is a solid coffee table with amazing details and a shelf for books and magazines.  What I love about this table is the wood inlay details on the top.  With a rim around the table top, you can easily custom cut a piece of glass for maximum protection.


A couple other Asian-inspired side table options: love the design of this ebony number by Gluckstein Home and this natural beauty with similar line.  I would totally use them both in a room and with a trip to the sprayer, these two pieces will look like identical twins.


Now if you want to go for something more industrial and edgy, why not consider these two metal pieces. I am totally in love with the intricate weave pattern in polished chrome and a rustic hammered look in muted gold.

We also need rug to ground all these gorgeous finds.  With my obsession with blue and yellow, I simply can't say no to this suzani flat weave dhurrie that is fun, dramatic, and full of character.  If you are looking for something a little more subdued, how about this cheerful stripped rug in sunshine yellow and white? 

Then I came across this handsome stripped prince in soft grey and mandarin orange.  It is perfect for a loft project I'm working on.  And if you have decided to go with the set of white ghost chairs, this rug is what you need to complement the creamy white chairs in a serene and classic palette.


As for myself, I have been looking for the rug for my front entrance for the longest time.  This fresh blue and white nautical piece with a diamond motif may just be my one way ticket to up the wow factor at my foyer.  


A few ready-made pillows that look custom thanks to the trendy ikat and chevron fabrics.  The blue and white stripe pillow is by Ralph Lauren.


I love the whimsical carnation print on linen for a touch of old world charm. This bold red & white designers' favourite Imperial Trellis is actually a dog bed!  How stylish is that!


A few mirrors that caught my attention.  Heart the shape of this brown one ... only wish that it's a little wider so it reads more "square" and will probably change its color.  Nothing beats Mother of pearl when it comes to timeless elegance and a sense of luxury.  This one has a grey hue (which is a rather rare find in the market) to emphasize its masculine quality.   


These two mirrors reminded me of window of old heritage buildings.  A similar pattern of this silver one can easily be found at an old church (with stained glass of course) and this decorative woven framed gold mirror is simply gorgeous.  What a statement piece in any spaces! 


This pair of wire lamps is so much fun!  Comes with neutral linen shades, these two lamps can be sprayed in any color you want (I may go with Kelly Green) and will still work seamlessly with these shades.  Love to see the pair being use in cottage country or that imaginary sunroom of mine. Rustic sophistication within reach my friends. 


Blue & green has always been my favourite color palette for summer.  Check out these ginger jars in lime green and these plates with bold pattern.

This box with a green & white graphic top acts as the "catch-all" spot for keys and I love this pale watery blue coral print in silver frame.  These two pieces can also co-exist happily in a spa-like bathroom. 


I would like to share you the fantastic deal I picked up at this trip:  a gun metal grey floor lamp by Ralph Lauren Home.  It is stylish, solidly built, and I would love to use it next to my Harry Chair by Sarah Richardson Design.


Last but not least, I am sure you all know the talented Michael Penney.  Today, Michael has teamed up with HomeSense, taking color and pattern inspiration from the fashion runway and injecting the trendy items into our homes.  Check this out.



Happy Thursday to you all and I will see you tomorrow for yet another existing post!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful eye candy....for such a glorious Ontario afternoon :) Love those wire lamps and you just gave me a KILLER idea of what to do with an old dresser top mirror :) Cheers Tim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous finds! Must ask: which location do you frequent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, some amazing stuff! Love those bamboo chairs and the hammered metal drum table. Do you find all this at a single location, or do you tend to visit quite a few?

    Also, just a heads up, but the last post my Google Reader picked up from your was May 21st. I just happened upon the blog and realised you hadn't shown up in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These items were actually spotted at four different locations and yes I too love those items as well .. .only if I have the room at my place!

      hm. ... so Google Reader didn't alert you with my new post this time? Hope it's working now.

      Delete