Friday, May 25, 2012

Our Home: Erica Cook of Moth Design

Happy Friday!  I love a short work week after a long weekend, and this one is extra short for me because I am already up at cottage country as we speak!  This weekend is all about relaxing, hiking, kayaking, and sharing some quality time with Chris and our dear friends Scott and Hugh.  That also means I will not be able to attend BlogPodium this Saturday (still kicking myself for double-booking this weekend), missing out on a fantastic opportunity to catch up with vendors I love including Para Paints, Delta, Gluckstein Home, West Elm, HomeSense, and to meet Geovin Furniture, Indigo, Poster Jack, and many more.  Jen of Rambling Renovators and Lindsay of LittleHouseBlog have been working extremely hard to make the event possible for us bloggers to learn, be inspired, and grow.  Hats off to your incredible work my ladies!

Jennifer was my first guest to kick start my "Our Home" series back in March. Today this series is back again, and my guest is the beautiful, stylish, and undeniably talented Erica Cook of Moth Design.  Erica is also an ex-Sarah girl.  With my Sarah Richardson obsession, you all know why I love Erica's home!


Erica's style is timeless elegance with a twist.  This self-portrait of Erica by Erica herself represents just that! 

via
Our tour begins at the open concept living + dining room.  I am crazy about this space for the mix of grey and yellow accents against an off-white backdrop, the perfect balance between feminine (softness of drapery) and masculine elements (tufted wing back in charcoal and nailhead detail), and a touch of Hollywood glam via the gorgeous Jonathan Adler chandelier in brass and the pair of graphic benches.     


And here comes the twist: the design direction and furnishings share a more traditional sensibility (especially with a symmetrical furniture layout) and Erica clads her wood burning fireplace with sumptuous marble tiles in a minimalist, contemporary style.  HEART!


Next stop is the media room/ family room.  I love how cozy and inviting this room feels thanks to the natural linen drapes, the drifted wood accents from the floor lamp and the coffee table ottoman, and of course that weave chandelier (Sarah used it in Sarah's House 1 as well) in warm metal for a touch of elegant and sophistication. 


To complement the natural wood tones in the space, Erica used pale grey with a blue undertone via artwork, accent pillows, and check out this stunning mirror!  


I adore all the kitchens designed by Sarah, and Erica's kitchen shares a similar design philosophy from the "Sarah's kitchen guide": classic shaker style cabinet all the way to the ceiling, stone tile as backsplash, max out counter space by wrapping it around the room with a peninsula doubling as breakfast bar with storage.    


A smart and practical design element in the kitchen is this little "nook" for easy access to favourite spices.  I will keep this in mind when designing my next kitchen.


Ahh .... the master bedroom.  It is serene, sumptuous, and with a hint of Moroccan flair via the decadent headboard and mirrored side tables.  Love that magical quality of the artwork: it is perfect to induce many night of sweet dreams.


Who would say no to a gas fireplace in the bedroom, top with this circular mirror, and a walk-out to an outdoor oasis? Erica, I am moving in!


Spa-inspired master en-suite equipped with many of my favourite design elements: wall sconces flanking either side of mirror, marble counter top, coral fan as artwork, and a soaking tub with marble tile all the way to the ceiling.

See those stunningly beautiful faucets? Yours truly have the same one in his bathroom as well!  Great minds think alike.



Another nook to note: no more soap dish and shampoo everywhere my friend.  The good thing about this design element is that it doesn't cost much to make this happen.  All you need is to cut a hole out of your drywall between the studs and with some marble tiles, the attractive and practical nook is ready for action.


Fantastic ideas to add personal touches and up the wow factor with framed object and high style chrome bucket to house bathroom essentials.


A departure from the neutral spaces in Erica's home is this red and blue bedroom for her son.  Love how Erica incorporated the UK flag into this classic nautical palette.  The pair of dramatic honeycomb graphic pillows are to die for.



The last stop of our tour is my absolute favourite: a country retreat in the city ... better yet, right in your backyard!  I love the sharp contrast between the charcoal grey walls and the crisp white door & windows.  The double doors and pair of metal lanterns + planters give this outdoor structure its presence.


I am not kidding when I say this is the ultimate sweet spot: white canvas comfy sectional wraps around the corner with windows to the great outdoor.  Who wouldn't want to lounge here and read a book? Of course the blue, green, and white color scheme also scores top mark on my book.  


The perfect way to add warmth to an all white space: wood panel on the ceiling.  This way, you get the rustic look and a touch of nature in the space without seeing knotty pine every corner you look.  The wood craved deer head also up chateau cabin vibe.  To complete the look, Erica installed this large scale modern pendant above eating zone.    


I love Erica's sense of style: both for her home and her fashion.  Here are a few shots of the glamorous life of Erica Cook.


I hope you all love the second edition of "Our Home" as much as I do.  A big Thank You to Erica for providing me with all these amazing images of her home.  I absolutely love her home and would totally live there in a heart beat.    

Before I leave you all to the sunny weekend to come, for those of you who are attending BlogPodium this weekend, have fun and take lots of note!  I will be reading your blog posts to learn about "The Business of Blogging".

via

See you all Monday!

9 comments:

  1. Amazing! Bummed that I am missing out on Blog Podium too! Next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will see each other at the next blogpodium!

      Delete
  2. Erica's home is so beautiful! I am going to bookmark this post immediately as a reminder for inspirational ideas when decorating my new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's my guilty pleasure for doing this series as well. A style reference of homes with details I love!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic home. So classic, so inspiring. I love the mix of grays with camel and wood tones. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Kelly! I love the style and palette of Erica's place! Please come back to visit me more :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the lovely feature Tim!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your home Erica!! Maybe I will need to self-invite myself to check out your place when I'm in town next time!

      Delete
  5. Where can I find that beautiful ottoman coffee table featured in the media room? I love it!

    ReplyDelete