Tuesday, May 8, 2012

One of a Kind Treasure Hunt

Hello Tuesday! How was your weekend? The weather was amazingly sunny and warm here, so yours truly just simply couldn't resist the temptation and put on his new shorts in pastel mint to hunt for one of a kind treasure. When looking for unique pieces, one of my must visit places is Chair Table Lamp. Kevin is a walking furniture encyclopedia and his store in SummerHill is frequent by celebrated designers including Sarah Richardson and Tommy Smythe.

Kevin and I are both obsessed with anything faux bamboo, so I know I'm always in for a treat when I visit his store. Check out this incredible faux bamboo hutch with glass front and campaign style hardware. Let me tell you, this Florida's classic has made a huge come back and it is such a rare treat above the border.  These pieces are often snapped up by designers or magazines before they even hit the floor. This handsome piece my friend is perfectly sold and enroute to sprayer.

Then I fell in love with this little washstand table for its character and charm.  It has gracious lines and has a gorgeous patina.  For those who love to inject a touch of old world charm into their home, this piece is ready to be transformed into a vanity and I can guarantee you it will be the conversation piece in your powder room!


Speaking about country chic, this work bench and stool in kelly green are the practice and attractive additions to juxtapose against the "new" pieces for an eclectic look in your home.  If you haven't caught the green fever yet, why not consider the white pieces in this vignette: desk with drawer, faux bamboo side table, mod square cube, and vibrant coral lamp and candle lanterns?


Being a chair hoarder also means I really should keep my distance from Chair Table Lamp, as Kevin knows exactly how to tease me with his "collection": faux bamboo high back chair with gorgeous craftsmanship and Louis XV barrel back chair with cane details & soft ikat upholstered seat!

A huge UK flag professionally framed and for all you Brit fans out there, it is the artwork you want to get for your living or dining room!  I just love the nautical flair of these hooks and they remind me of the days when the British tall ships set sail across the Atlantic.


I didn't leave the store empty handed … the treasure I picked up is in the corner of one of the images. You will just have to wait and see what I'm up to next.

My second stop on the weekend was the Designer Liquidation Sale co-host by the fabulous Christine of Bijou and Boheme. I have been told the space is filled with fantastic pieces at unbeatable prices, so how could I say no? And I of course wouldn't miss the world to play catch up with Christine. Here are the pieces that caught my eyes.

This farm house inspired storage piece is quite charming and it comes with a marble top. My vision for the piece is to transform it into a vanity by replacing the wire piece with antique mirrors and pairing it with an undermount sink. Looking for a pair of split level side tables? Here is a pair of antique beauty with delicate wood inlay.

Brass side table with faux bamboo detail and two glass surfaces: you and I are going to have a very happy time together, especially for only $75!  If you are in the market for a pair of unique nightstands with plenty of storage, have a look at this.  Sure I may not be crazy about the mahogany finish and ornate brass handles, but I love the rope and cross leg details.  It is a solid piece that offers a large flat surface for your lamp, glass of water, and favourite novel.   

I have been on a hunt for the perfect sideboard/console for awhile and this Stanley piece may just be it.  It features both open and close storage, with basket weave motif on the doors, and a durable semi gloss black lacquered finish.  It does not only provide practice storage for china in the dining room, but also a stylish piece in black to help ground the space.






























Have a pre-loved rocker in need of a facelift? Tamara has done it and so has Christine!  With a few coats of white and pink paints, this rocker is ready to rock the princess to a good night sleep.



Diamond is not the only best friend for the ladies.  At the Designer Liquidation sale, pillows also make the ladies say "I do".  Check out the pillow collection on display and the best thing is: plenty of pillows are available to restock the shelves as they fly out of the door.  Hard to believe this geometric print with a subtle snake motif is only going for $35 with a feather insert.  Sarah has used it in Sarah's House 4 … for all your die hard fans out there, it's your chance to decorate like "Sarah" in your home.


So what did I pick up? Well, I simply couldn't resist this blue & green coral print on linen and this basket weave porcelain beauty.  I may have it sprayed a soft grey and use it as a vase.


Always attracted to horses, I also picked up this diamond in the rough for a nursery project I am working on.  Just wait until you see what I've planned for this handsome prince!


My last stop for the day was SouthWorks at Cambridge.  I met up with the resourceful Vanessa of D├ęcor Happy and silly me thought that we would only be there for an hour … well, it was more like 3 hours by the time we gave this gigantic warehouse a once-over!  We were greeted by this "Tommy" mirror which I absolutely adore.  I call it the Tommy mirror as it seems to be the must-have decorative item at all Tommy's spaces.


Do you recognize the maker of this set?






























It is identical to the original Eva Zeisel pieces by Hallcraft from the 50s, and in a pattern I haven't seen before. Loving the floral, the berries, and the organic sensibility of the design. On a different note, I am also helping a friend with his industrial loft and we are looking for a vintage Persian rug. This one caught my attention and I love the blue in this rug, but on the fence about the muted red. More work to do on the rug search.


My brass obsession is at all time high and see what I've found!  A masculine tall boy in brass with glass shelves and a pretty potted lily table lamp.  The lamp may not have Vanessa's seal of approval but I thought a pair of them would up the glam factor at a foyer or an office.


I love dog.  So this pair of vintage book ends with a handsome hound in brass surely got my vote.  Vanessa was with me on this one!  Christine, do you need bookends?






























A couple of teak pieces with real potential.  This $30 mirror for example, I would take the spindle side pieces off, have the frame fixed, and paint it a dynamite color.  This little bar cart is just too cute and for $85, it is yours to take home and ready to be re-imagined.  I would love to see the bar cart painted a deep indigo blue.


Looking for a pair of huge Asian ceramic cut out lamps? These two are in amazing condition and though some may not like the floral and bird motif, I kind of like it and perhaps it just need new shades that complement its natural beauty.


A heavy iron post with an incredible design … once sitting on the street to hold the horses, my vision is to have it incorporated as the front post of the railing for a spiral staircase?  Grandeur my friend!



I'm sure you are eager to find out what I picked up at SouthWorks.  Here they are: a cheerful basket weave pitcher in yellow, a peacock decorative plate in Ming green, a cream and sugar set with minty green on the inside and polished gold on the outside, and this mod yellow floor lamp from the 1950s!


Hope you enjoyed my hunting tour and be inspired to go check out your local antique shops or markets for treasures of your own.

10 comments:

  1. Great finds, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a great review of your little sale Tim! Was so happy to see you on Saturday- no party is as fun without you there@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a fab time and can't wait to see you again next time! Better be soon!

      Delete
  3. Had so much fun at Southworks with you! Were we really there for 3 hours? I think we could have spent another hour or so walking through again to see what me missed. Love all of your finds. Maya loves her coral tea cup and saucer and I wish I would have bought the dog bookends for her. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! time flies when you are with good company! we met up around 2pm and I don't think I got to Waterloo until 5:30pm. .. so yeah... a good 2.5 to 3 hours! You should have told me you want those bookends earlier... I went back on Sunday to pick up the floor lamp!

      Delete
  4. Great recap Tim! What a fun day of treasure hunting.
    I love the Stanley piece. Do you remember the price tag by chance?

    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I need to make a trip out there to look at all the treasures.

      Delete
  6. Ahhh Tim, I can always count on you to get my thrift shopping juices going...dying to go to Southworks with you and Vanessa. We must make a date of it soon!!
    Talk soon xo
    GlamaMama

    ReplyDelete