Friday, May 4, 2012

Estate Planning with Tommy Smythe

Happy Friday!  It is finally here ... the weekend, the warm & sunny spring weather, and the first of my weekly countdown to the premiere of Sarah 101 Season 2.  This exciting season is set to kick off on May 29th for us lucky folks in Canada.  As for the rest of you, you know I always have you covered with it comes to Sarah and Tommy.

With gorgeous weather ahead on the weekend, it is time for us to check out the local garage sales, estate sales, and consignment stores for those hidden gems and waiting to be transformed into one of a kind treasure in our homes.  So I thought what's more perfect to prepare us for a successful treasure hunting weekend than to learn from Tommy, King of Auction Sale!

Tommy did a walk through of a local auction house in Toronto and shared with us on the Steven and Chris show on how to beat that woman in the front row with a fur hat.  Let's check out this fun filled segment.

image via Steven and Chris 

What an amazing makeover!  I have alway loved the "up-cycle" movement on preloved furniture as they are: (1) solidly built, (2) loads of charm and character, and (3) one less piece at landfills and better for our environment.  


Here is my "must-do" when I attend an estate auction next time:

go to the preview: check out what is available, which piece I want to get, and my max bid on the item.

do my homework: one great benefit for attending the preview is that you can go home afterward and do some research on the pieces you are interested in.  Internet is a fantastic source of information, and so are the staff at the auction house.  Talk to them to find out the origin and time period of the piece, especially when you are hunting for an antique.

* dress for the occasion: if you want to beat that woman in her mink coat, you have got to be expensively attired ... so she thinks that you've got a suitcase full of cash and ready to shop.  

place the bids: I am often busy with Chris on the weekend and visiting an auction house is definitely not on his priority list.  Now I know I can place my bid via internet, phone, or an absentee bid.  No more excuses for not being able to attend the auction!  

find the odd piece: not all the pieces are as popular as the others.  For instance, a single chair from an original set of 6 will likely be slow moving.  After all, who needs a single dining chair?  But if you happen to be in the market for one, auction is where you can get a solid chair for $20!  Just make sure you have fully examined the piece prior to bidding.  If a chair requires hundreds of dollar to fix, it is not a bargain!

For even more tips on a successful estate auction sale, check out: Tommy's Top 5 Auction Tips.  


Tommy says you have to dress the part and be loaded with attitude to intimidate your competition.  How do you think Steven and Chris would do at the auction? Steven may still be too friend and I think Chris is doing a pretty good job to put on his poker face.  As for Tommy, need I say more?  Someone gets him that fur hat and mink coat! 

via 
Of course I had to put these adorable behind-the-scene pictures up for you.  I call this: Pig and the City (boy)

via
via
Can't wait to watch the new season of Sarah 101, and see what this dynamic duo score at auction sales!  One thing for sure: the transformation will be spectacular.

Before I let you all go enjoy your weekend, here is Tommy on decorating in Blank & White with Marilyn Denis.

via
Happy Weekend everyone!

7 comments:

  1. That pig is making me smilie - kinda cute! We have cold weather forecast for the weekend. Three degrees in MAY! Crazy. Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had that a couple of years ago when I visited Germany and London. It was cold when Toronto was very warm ... Hey Mr., maybe you need to come for a visit!

      Delete
  2. Also looking forward to Sarah 101. Especially the July 10th episode (it was moved from the third):-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait Janice!! Maybe I need to come with gifts for a little sneak peek!

      Delete
  3. Of course I love the upcycle movement too. What a great thing. Very excited for Sarah 101 too, we all need more Sarah and Tommy in our lives! Great to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was nice seeing you too Lindsey! Did you pick up that chaise after all?

      Delete
  4. Giving away all of our shopping secrets, Tim? It's going to get very competitive out there, lol. Thanks for posting the Marilyn episode featuring Tommy - I love the black and white space, and I'm definitely looking forward to the new season of Sarah 101.

    ReplyDelete