Monday, March 26, 2012

Samantha Pynn: Pure Design Edition

Happy Monday!  Spring has surely arrived and it is time to think about cottage living.  With most of the home furnishing stores are at full-blown spring/summer mode (yes, Easter items are already on deep discount), the new season of Summer Home will premiere exactly 1 week from today on April 2nd on HGTV Canada.

The lovely Karen Sealy and her girls did an amazing job last summer bringing us loads of fun and inspirational ideas for our summer homes.  This time around, we have the talented Samantha Pynn sharing with us her take on fresh, low-maintenance, family-friendly summer getaways.  

image credit: Tim Leyes






























This week, I will be sharing with you the beautifully decorated spaces mastered by Sam on her hit TV series and today, we are at Pure Design.  I adore many of Sam's transformations through the 26 episodes of Pure Design, and have selected 6 of my absolute favourite rooms photographed by the talented Virginia Macdonald.

With watery blue walls, soft pink & pastel green palette, and stunning architectural details on ceiling, what is not to love about this relaxed and beach-side inspired living/dining room?   To juxtapose the softness and feminine elements throughout the space, Sam introduced edgy and industrial pieces such as the coffee table and the pendant in the dining room.   Another way to bring the host and the hostess to a happy medium is to reupholstered a well-made vintage sofa in punchy floral and pewter nail-head detail!  Not to mention the goodness of "green design" through up-cycling.


Up next is a bright, cheerful, and practical nursery & playroom.  My favourite elements of this project are the striped feature wall, the bench seating + storage along the window wall, and of course Sam's color palette: cranberry red, sea grass beige, and various shades of blue that remind me of the clear summer sky. 

I admire Sam's commitment to green design through recycling vintage pieces (not to mention the $$ saved) and carefully selecting of eco-friendly paints, foams, and glue to ensure a toxin-free space for the Prince of this playroom and nursery: toddler Atticus.


This sumptuous yet casual bedroom is my ideal cottage retreat ... really, who doesn't love the best of both worlds?  Of course you all know I love a fresh and crisp soft blue + white palette, but what I love the most is the shots of kelly green via the oh-so-gorgeous imperial trellis on a pair of arm chairs and the accent band on the drapes.  Never thought I would say this, but I actually like this chic ceiling fan!

Nothing makes me happier than the gorgeous hues of the magnolia blooms in early Spring.  The blooms are feminine, elegant, and gracious, which is exactly what Sam has done in this glamorous living room.  I love the use of blushy pink in the space and how this delicate tone is balanced by the hits of navy blue through the decorative pillows and accent bands on the drapes, and graphite black on the side table (love the metallic details), writing desk and cross-leg stool. 

I have got to say I'm banana crazy about this nook!  The dynamite wall paper is to die for, the huge black framed mirror is perfect to create drama, reflect light (and to brighten up a spot without much natural light ... it is a nook after all), and to visually expand the space.  As I always say, nothing makes me more excited to see how the designers decorate their own place.  This decadent palace belongs to our feature designer: Ms Samantha Pynn!      


Strolling along the elegant and delicate spaces, here is a bedroom dressed in yet another one of my favourite spring flower: Lilac.  I love the use of brushed brass on the curtain rod, table lamps, and accessories to add warm in this pale purple box.  Of course I am so stealing the idea of installing traditional elements such as the chunky crown moulding and the panel effect on the walls.     

Have I not mentioned to you my obsession of this Barbara Barry's desk? It is certainly an investment piece but let me assure you, I will have it one day ...  Sorry Chris. 



I am also drawn to and inspired by spaces that experiment with scale.  To add unexpected drama to this dining room, Sam installed an oversized drum shade in matte black and gold to wow the guests.  Love the beautiful shade of grey on the vintage hutch, and what a stunning sightline to the classic sitting area/ home office through these french doors!     

Are you excited to see what Sam has done to 13 summer homes in desperate needs of a facelift? I surely am!  Here is Sam's idea of a summer home and a fun behind the scene footage:

"Summer homes in Canada are all about fun in the sun, reconnecting with family and friends, and an escape from busy city lives," said Samantha Pynn.  "During this season of Summer Home I was able to bring those elements into the design of each cottage, and I know viewers will be able to use those tips in their own living spaces as well."


See you all on Wednesday for more amazing work by Sam!

4 comments:

  1. I've always loved Samantha Pynn's feminine and green design styles. She made a local cottage look like it belongs in the Hamptons! The lilac bedroom and the dining nook with capiz chandelier are my favorite rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pink/blue dining and living room makeover is still one of my favourite designs by Samantha! It inspired the colour palette in my former living room! Cheers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the last season of Summer Home...Karen is SO talented. Looking forward to the new season with samantha Pynn! By the way, I saw your outdoor space on the new Style at Home ! Looks great! Is that from last season? I'm sure you've got something new for this spring/summer coming up, looking forward to your post, Tim :)

    P.s. I went to homesense the other day after I read your blog and I found 2 replica of iconic wishbone chairs !! For $99 each, I had to have them. So happy..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These rooms are beautiful. I love her use of all the soft pinks and blues. Those pink chairs and that wallpaper in the nook are to die for!

    ReplyDelete