Thursday, March 15, 2012

2012 Spring Preview @ West Elm

Happy Thursday everyone! We have been blessed with extremely pleasant weather all week long in Toronto, and with my allergy hitting me at full strength, I know Spring is in the air ... literally.  According to my editorial calendar, I am not supposed to talk about Spring until April.  But hey, with a whole week of double digits temperature on my side, I have to listen to mother nature and make a slight compromise.  So the official Spring launch at DesignMaze will remain in April (I do have a good reason for the wait) ... but for today, we are at West Elm for a Spring preview.

Coral is HOT this season and this highly versatile color partners perfectly with cream & warm grey for a soothing look or graphic chevron in navy blue or charcoal grey for a bold statement.  


With a hint of metallic and shimmer from the placemat and the napkin, the "pretty" hue of coral now adds a touch of South Beach glam to your dining table!


Determined to inspire you to inject coral in your home, West Elm also has a full collection of sheets, dulvets, shams, and quilts in many shades of coral pink.


My personal favourites of this coral fever? This hand-blocked Harlequin pillow and these crisp white sheets with coral stitches.  I particularly love the simple designs and how much visual interests they add to the space.  You may see them in my home one day.


Committed to eco-designs and offering fair compensation to artisans around the globe, West Elm unveils its latest collection of Kantha quilted throws: all made from pre-loved sarees from India.  These pieces are truly one of a kind and all the pieces were hand picked by the dedicated buying team at West Elm.


Out of the many gorgeous throws, my heart is set on this coral beauty (surprise surprise!) with an unusual graphic pattern and I love how the piece is accentuated by hits of navy blue for a more masculine look.  Of course the quaint cherry blossom border is also right up my alley.  I couldn't resist but to have taken it home.  As of today, I'm still waiting for Chris to make the "final call".   


And here is Pam's ultimate find!  This throw is truly a beauty with its navy and orange border, coral pink in the middle, beautiful floral designs, and best of all, it also has a stunningly gorgeous purple "back".     


Coral isn't the only color West Elm has in mind for Spring 2012.  Aquamarine is equally striking when pairing with neutrals such as grey, cream, and even muted mustard.  Check out this stack of Kantha throws in shades of blue and turquoise.  

You know how I always say "do NOT one stop shop".  In this bedroom vignette, West Elm demonstrates how you can pull together a truly unique look while shopping only in one shop.  Notice all the pillows and shames here are mismatched and that is the beauty of this collection: they are designed to look like you have built up the collection over time.  I also love the relaxing and serene vibe of this collection.  Blue is my all-time favourite color afterall. 


Here is a soothing living room vignette that captures my heart.  You all know I love the grey + yellow palette, and mixing it with natural wood and various shades of white and cream: what is not to love?   I particularly heart the long pillow with the fish scale motif and this carroll bench with a charcoal grey tufted seat cushion.


Watercolor inspired accessories are huge this season and this stork silk pillow (I prefer to call it the "Blue Heron") surely adds whimsy and playfulness to any spaces.    


For a more tailored/gentlemen look, this vignette is enlivened by exotic cultural flair through the white moroccan lanterns and the hand-blocked paisley pillow.  I am not sure about you, but I am dead set against recliners as they are often bulky and just not so attractive looking.  Well I know Chris loves a recliner and if I would ever put one in the house, this sedgwick recliner maybe it!  I love the tailored silhouette and the contrasting white stitches detail.     


Now is the time to share with you the three items I put on my "want" list: these hand made shams and quits in pastel blue and green (of course I love it .. it's Sarah Richardson's signature palette), the 
duck feet napkins, and this larger than life turned floor lamp.  Thanks Michelle for modeling the lamp for me and now you all know the scale of this lamp!



To wrap up this Spring preview at West Elm, I would like to share with you an easy, effortless solution for indoor gardening.  These Tillandsias (a.k.a. air plants) can grow anywhere with bright but not direct sun light, and only need to be watered once a week.  


You can put them in a large glass bubble and add sand for a beach inspired garden.  West Elm has generously offered me a hanging glass bubble from the Shane Powers collection and a baby Tillandsias.  I don't exactly have a green thumb but so far, my Tillandsias remains alive! If you are also challenged in gardening, go check out West Elm for a low maintenance alternative.

Until next time! 

14 comments:

  1. I love the sedgwick recliner - I have the same feeling about them in general but this one I can actually stomach

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the coral and tell Pam I want to steal that throw from her...did she buy it? If not, I'm going and bringing it home- ADORE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she did buy it Christine and is going to be part of her guest bedroom scheme. Maybe you want to be her over-night guest sometimes and just accidentally pack it home with you. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm off to Toronto next week, still no West Elm out West, it is first on my shopping list. After reading your post I'm even more excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't go wrong with West Elm!! Ask for Neil! He's the best!

      Delete
  4. First of all, you have an editorial calendar??? You put me to shame.... and second..I am jealous that you have West Elm out there. Sadly the closest one to us is Seattle over 2 hours away - waaaaa! But we did get a cb2 here in Vancouver, things are looking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the editorial calendar is a new thing I sort of started to guide my posts. I did that last year during my busy season at work and it did work wonder in organizing thoughts and sequence of posts.

      only that I've planned to talk Spring in April and it's totally 15-21C in Toronto these days and even the tulips are coming up! crazy global warming!

      Delete
  5. I loved so many of the pieces at West Elm this season that it's amazing I went home with only one item!! I love my Kantha quilt and my air plant is still alive. Yay!! Great recap, Tim. Thanks for the shout out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving it all - so bold and colorful and so many fun patterns. I could not pick a favorite although anything in aquamarine would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thought coral is it ... And now I have a change of heart... U guys just wait and see what I am up to next!

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh W.E. - their lovely goods get me everytime. I've yet to have an opportunity to step foot in a store, but when that day comes I'll be beaming. Thanks for 'taking me along' on the shopping trip Tim! Cheers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got some great photos Tim! I am soooo super happy with my new green pan that I might have to go back and get another. ANd the shower curtain looks amazing in my bathroom make-over, I can't wait to show it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, How do I get in touch with you? There is no email or contact info listed .. please advise .. thanks .. Mary. Please contact me maryregency at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary,

      you can go to the top right corner and click on the picture of me. It will direct you to my website and in it, there is a "contact me" page.

      Cheers,
      Tim

      Delete