Friday, February 10, 2012

Valentine's Special: Home Baked Lavender Cookies

Happy Friday!  Valentine's Day is just a few short days away.  For those of you who needs some fresh ideas to show your appreciation to your family or that special someone, my fabulous guest, Barb from hodge:podge, has shared her secret weapons (heart shaped pizza and cookies) and I have shown you the romantic items from Indigo that will surely win over everyone's heart.

To me, nothing warms my heart more than home baked goodies.  And if you have been reading my blog for awhile, you might have noticed I have a small obsession with lavender.  I love how elegant the flowers look, not to mention the beautiful shades of soft purple and the irresistible aroma.

Today, I will show you how to dress up your delicious home baked cookies ...  in my case: lavender shortbread cookie.  A quick checklist of what you need: a cookie recipe, a cookie cuter, a rolling pin, baking sheets, a glass jar, ribbons, and colored papers.  


Here is my production line with many cookies ready to go into the oven and a short 6 - 7 minutes later, they are cooling off on the racks.


Stack the cookies into the glass jars once the cookies are completely cool off.  You don't want the cookies to dry out, but you definitely don't want condensation once the jars are closed.  So make sure you allow for enough time to "cool off" before "sealing the deal".  

For Valentine's Day, why not go for the heart shaped cookies? Here is a sample I made. 


While the cookies are still cooling off, let's start making the tags.  Instead of using your standard color papers, why not use the paint chips from fan deck?  With hundreds of colors to choose from, I am sure you will be able to find a few shades you heart.  Mine is from Benjamin Moore for Pottery Barn.  

To make my tags, I recommend the paper cutter from Martha Stewart crafts (available at Michaels).  And for this special occasion, why not use a heart shape hole puncher for a special touch?  This heart shape hole puncher is also available at Michaels.  



You can write the names on these tags or spell out the names with letter stamps  Add some gorgeous ribbons with red stitches detail (which ties in to our vintage inspired glass jars perfectly), these simple, elegant, and beautifully decorated home baked cookies are ready to put a big smile on everyone's face!


Delicious isn't it?  Hope you enjoy my cookie ideas and now let's start the tea party! 

6 comments:

  1. These look amazing. Are you going to share your secret recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow those look wonderful...love that you use your paint fan for tags..I do too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. me too! bakers twine is the best!

    hey trio, these cookies were made from Chris' recipe in German. I also like the one from Williams Sonoma as well. Maybe we need to do a baking party one evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite the presentation....I am feeling like I need to step up my creative game:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sherry! I love these cookies!

    ReplyDelete