Monday, February 6, 2012

Valentine's Special: Barb @ hodge:podge

Happy Monday!  Valentine's Day is a week away and for those who struggle for ideas to put a smile on that special someone's face, my guests and I will be sharing our Valentine's Day traditions, favourite products available on the market, and everything you need to add romance to this special day of the year.


Today, the fabulous Barb from hodge:podge will share with us how she celebrates this sweet occasion with her love ones at her BC home.  If you are with an empty stomach, I suggest you to go snack first before reading this post.  Trust me, you will be starving by the end of the post.


Boys and Girls, here is Barb. 

**********************

I am truly honoured that Tim has asked me to guest post on his blog! Can't believe he let me take over his blog today, brave man!

What I love about Tim is his zest for making beautiful spaces and how he changes his own space to reflect the season. I for one am a bit boring in the seasonal decor department. After Christmas is over I am too wiped out to decorate for Valentine's Day. But at our house we have our traditions for Valentines that even though my kids are in their teens, they eagerly look forward to every year because it involves FOOD!

We always make heart shaped pizza for dinner. Don't you think food tastes better formed into a heart shape?


But our absolute favourite is to make heart shaped ice cream sandwiches thanks to good ol'Martha!


They are so easy to make and they taste divine!


Chocolate Strawberry Heart-Shaped Ice Cream Sandwiches
Makes 24
Ingredients
            2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
            1/2 cup cocoa powder
            2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
            1/4 teaspoon salt
            12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
            1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
            1 1/2 cups sugar
            2 large eggs
            1 tablespoon milk
            2 to 2 1/2 pints strawberry ice cream, slightly softened

Directions:


In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, vanilla, and sugar. Add eggs and milk, and mix until combined. Add reserved flour mixture, and mix on low speed until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula at least once. Divide the dough in half, and shape each half into a flat disk. Wrap each disk in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface; use an offset spatula to unstick the dough every few turns of the rolling pin. Roll dough to an 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough using a variety of heart-shaped cookie cutters from 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter, making sure there is a top and bottom cookie for each sandwich. Place hearts on a parchment-lined baking sheet; chill until firm, about 30 minutes. Remove from refrigerator; use a fork to prick holes all over the surface of the cookies. Bake until firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool slightly on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Using half the cookies, spoon softened strawberry ice cream about 1/2 inch thick on each underside. Place matching cookie on top of ice cream, top-side facing out. Transfer immediately to freezer to harden; repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve directly from the freezer. Sandwiches can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 to 4 days.

Have a Happy Valentine's Day!
XO Barbara


**********************


See!! Didn't I tell you not to read with an empty stomach? I'm totally craving for that heart shaped pizza and I'm sure Chris wants that Martha Stewart Cookie.  Nothing warms my heart more than receiving handmade/ home baked gifts from friends and family.  Thanks Barb for these delicious ideas and I can't wait to try out these recipes myself.

See you all Wednesday!

11 comments:

  1. I should've listened to you Tim, I'm hungry and have no heart shaped food.... isn't Barbara fabulous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a strong urge for pizza... and my smoothie isn't really cutting it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That heart shaped pizza brings back some college dating memories! ha! Thanks Barabara, for the excuse to see what Tim has been up to!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I'm reading this AFTER a big dinner and it's still making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really do much for Valentine's Day but for sure my kids will adore the heart shaped food. Thanks Barb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Those ice cream sandwiches looks fabulous...and I could def. go for some pizza right about now. Thanks Barbara and Tim ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute, and so yummy looking! Barbara is amazing, and I'm so glad I found your blog through her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These heart shaped ice cream sandwiches look delicious! There goes my diet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Barb for your great guest post! Everyone loves your pizza and so do I! I may just have to ask the cruise chef to make me one tonight!

    Cheers Ladies... big hug from St. Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow great blog post! Heart shaped pizza WOW!
    I am trying to add you to my blog roll Tim...but my blogger roll is not letting me add ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! May just have to try it this weekend when visiting the boyfriend :)

      I would love to be part of your blog roll. Let me know how I could help!

      Delete