Friday, January 20, 2012

Calgary Tour: Part II



Hope you enjoyed Part I of my Calgary Tour.  Today, I am sharing with you two other amazing stores right at downtown Calgary: Kit and Domicile.

Kit is filled with fun, whimsical, and modern classic pieces.  You know what all that makes me? A kid in a candy store!  My visit to Calgary was around Christmas time and although I went with the yellow and grey palette this year, I have always loved a festive mix of red and white.

Love the silver mirrored pendant and the white porcelain fox by Jonathan Adler .

Chris loves all things nature and these powder coated ornaments in shapes of beaver, bear, moose, and goose are definitely his favourites.  For me, I love these cute as a button spoons from Marimekko.


Don't these colorful desk lamps put a smile on your face? So stylish and what fun!  I'm also crazy about these wooden bowls with shots of high gloss colors.


A couple of mid-century modern ironic pieces: the Womb Chair and the Eames Lounge Chair.  I am a lucky owner of an original Womb Chair from the 1950s and I had it reupholstered in a classic tomato red.  How refreshing to see an identical twin in soft creamy wool and white leather on the Eames Lounge chair!  Wouldn't they be perfect in my new living room?


More vases by Jonathan Adler in the oh-so-popular chevron motif.  I was hoping to get them in yellow but I don't think these vases ever come in yellow.  You all know I love Pantone (My place was accented with "Honeysuckle" in Spring 2011 and check out my obsession with "Tangerine Tango") and of course I love these colorful cups.  The red one came home with me!


Here are a couple of whimsical pieces: aren't those little foot prints adorable? Love the cup and plate set.  This trio of Japanese inspired vases also score high on my books.
  
Jonathan Adler, I am crazy about this man.  I have been a big fan of his potteries (have a couple of his pieces at home) and I definitely loved his store at New York City!  See these decadent little blue boxes?  They are the Pandora Boxes to me and only beautiful things coming out of the boxes!


What are in the boxes? Adorable matte white porcelain ornaments in shape of sausage dog, elephant, swan, and giraffe.


Kit also houses many mid-century modern classics pieces that are now available through Knoll and Herman Miller.  check out this sexy Wegner Shell Chair and this handsome, sophisticated love seat in leather.  I love the long wood legs on the love seat.  Totally unexpected and what a design statement.


A simple and masculine sofa and the classic knoll media unit with black marble top.  I can totally see these pieces living happily ever after in my own home.  Check out that throw and those pillows on the sofa!  Aren't the cloud motif fun?


Bold, beautiful patterned textile is also a big part of Kit.  From Dwell Studio to Marimekko, here is the spot to be inspired for your next sewing projects.

If you are not a sewer (like myself) and want to bring some happiness back home immediately, check out the parade of gorgeous pillows all in one spot!  My personal favourites are the Gate in citrine and Vintage Plumes in citrine from Dwell Studio.


I love these two fun pillows.  They are perfect for boys at all ages!


Here is a simple yet exquisite bedroom vignette featuring my favourite pieces by Jonathan Adler (the lantern lamp and bookends) and the Chinoiserie duvet set from Dwell Studio.


Mod black and white candle holders and a collection from my other favourite pottery power house: Klein Reid.  I have the tea pot + cream/sugar set and a set of pitchers from the Eva Zeisel collection in my dining room.  These pieces are stunningly beautiful. 


My friend Pam from Cherish Toronto pointed out at a conversation that I am a chair whore.  Looking back of the different chairs I have "collected" over time, I have to admit that she's right.  If Chris wasn't there to stop me, these two iconic licensed pieces might have came home with me!  Love the stylish mix of white and chrome.  


The homeowners of my recent living/dining room + family room makeover projects are looking for a statement office chair that hugs their bodies.  Well, the Sayl Work chair from Herman Miller absolutely fits the bill.  It features a futuristic design, comes in many different colors, and oh mine, it is so comfortable!


Determined to be your one stop home furnishings destination, Kit also carries a great selection of FLOS products. My absolute favourites from FLOS? The Guns Lounge and the 2097 by GinoSarfatti


My last stop of this Calgary tour was Domicile and what a great store to end this tour!


Check out this dramatic entry to greet the customers!  I love this dark and moody study with the pop of orange on the chair and check out that artwork.  I know you may not agree with me but I love horses!  More exquisite pieces in the living room vignette, and again the room is enlivened with the pops of orange. I may just have to inquire about this sofa: it is perfect for the living room project! 


Can I say "Tangerine Tango"?  It is the color of the year and Domicile has ingeniously incorporated this trend throughout the store (we are talking about back in December 2011).  Love the little puppy on the carpet.  


This living space is very inviting and I can see why many people would just wrap the whole room up and ship it right back home.  I am not a "one-stop-shop" person but in this case, why not? Domicile has already shopped all over the world to bring you these eclectic pieces all in one spot!  Love the grey sofa, the muted gold wall decoration, that chaise (oh-so-comfortable), the mid-century metal lamps, and of course those electric shots of orange accents.


Love the play of scales in these two shots.  The mirror and pair of table lamps are big compare to the console, and so is this gun lamp next to this chair.  The over-scale is what makes these vignettes captivating.


Mod black and white living and dining room vignette.  Again, loving this black and white horse photo and of course the grouping of Tom Dixon's pendants and the classic Platner dining table.


Two very different bedrooms but equally dramatic in execution.   I love both the decorative pieces above the headboard: modern or refined rustic, the choice is yours.


The Muse is a floral store within Domicile and let me tell you the creations I saw were breathtaking!  When in town, you've got to come check out The Muse, and perhaps pick up this sculptural metal side table by Calvin Klein for me please. 


Thanks so much for joining me on this Calgary Tour.  I had so much fun exploring these interior decoration destinations during my 3 hours speedy tour (felt like I was in the amazing race).  Hope I've inspired you to check out these stores (Part I and Part II) on your next visit to Calgary!   

1 comment:

  1. So glad you're having fun- my uncle/aunt are in Calgary and I so want a trip out that way...lots of fabulous bloggers to meet there too!

    ReplyDelete