Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Calgary Tour: Part I

Happy Wednesday!  I visited Calgary recently for the very first time and had such a great time touring the city.  The fact that the temperature was at  +6 degree during my stay also made my city tour an absolute walk in the park.  What an amazing blue sky and with one of the city's landmark: the Calgary Tower.  


Big THANK YOU to NylaAly, and Erica for their suggestions of fabulous stories for stylish decor and home furnishings in town.  For Part I of my Calgary Tour, I will share with you what I found at Peridot, BoConcept, and Robert Sweep Home Furnishings.

First up is Peridot and the store is filled with an eclectic mix of decorative accessories and furniture.  Check out this beautiful table lamp with an amazing mix of gold and turquoise!


I am addicted to all things nautical and with white and cream accessories plus a touch of coral pink as accent, what's not to love?  My love extends to this vignette with venetian mirror, grey damask block print wallpaper, and this stunning Asian inspired table lamp in mustard.


This shot gives you an idea of the eclectic pieces Peridot offers: a pair of Louis XV arm chairs, a gilded side table with an Asian flair, a pendant fixture that reminds me of Morocco, and a deep turquoise table lamp with a fern motif.  


A close-up of this gorgeous pendant and a white table lamp inspired by nature.  If you look closely, you can see the birdies on the branches.


This vignette caught my eyes with a pair of tailored and comfortable club chairs upholstered in greyish blue fabric, which is accented by the muted gold on the side table and the lamp.  


I love this chandelier!  It is similar to the version available at Restoration Hardware, but I find this fixture less "formal" and with a touch of whimsy.


I like to source at BoConcept Toronto, as the store is filled with chic/modern furnishings at affordable prices.  It is also the sponsor for the living space to be designed by Designer Lisa Canning from Lisa Canning Interiors at the Interior Design Show 2012.  So if you want to be inspired by Lisa on how to incorporate BoConcept's cutting edge designs into your home, be sure to check out IDS 2012!


The ceiling height in the Calgary store is unbelievable.  With the soaring ceiling as backdrop, BoConcept greets its customers with this dramatic grouping of pendants for a captivating vignette. Another mod grouping of pendants in dining room on the right.


Looking for simple, sleek home office solution with work surface, storage and open display solutions all under 20 square feet?  Here is how BoConcept achieved the impossible.  The simple white shelving is brought to life by the beautiful Kelly green walls: love this white and green combination.  

I am more of a "transitional" kind of guy when it comes to furnishings.  However, if I need to pick a modern contemporary chair with an industrial sensibility, this arm chair is it!  It has a sleek brushed metal frame, soft linen/cotton blend upholstery, and I love the grey pillow with the yellow button!  Talking about adding icing on the cake.


A common issue with many condo dwellers is how to configure or decorate an open concept living/ dining space? Check out this layout at BoConcept.  I love how the oversized ottoman provides ample of seating in the living and serves as a "room divider" to between the living and dining zones.  


Of course I love this grouping of pendants all in 5 different colors and this funky art piece.  So much fun!


For a more grown-up and sophisticated dining experience, how about these sleek dining chairs upholstered in white faux leather with modern metal legs? I love the mixture of white lacquer and nature wood on the console and check out this amazing wallpaper! Love it!


Yes I love white interiors, but I am also addicted to colorful spaces.  This blue feature wall looks delicious in picture and let me tell you, it is out of this world gorgeous in person!  I love everything in this vignette: the neutral couch with colorful pillows, the crisp white wall shelves, the futuristic floor lamp in glossy black, the grouping of pendants with cords in multiple colors, and I love how that orange horse pops against the teal/blue wall!

Now here is a fascinating table lamp.  Love it as table lamp but my vision is to turn it into a wall sconce for a bedroom makeover.  Stay tuned.   


Accessories!  No room is picture perfect without accessories.  Continue to be stimulated by the modern aesthetics in BoConcept, I gravitated toward this shiny/ sculptural bookend and this beautiful wooden box with a sunburst motif.    


Last stop for today is Robert Sweep Home Furnishings.  I was drawn to store at first by the white letters & street numbers, and of course the race car red staircase against the blue industrial walls.  


I knew I was in for a treat when I saw these gigantic planters with the most simple, organic, and natural arrangement.  And I wasn't kidding, look what I found the moment I walked into the store: an elegant faux bamboo two tier side table.     


"Scale" is the word I would use to summarize my experience in Robert Sweep Home Furnishings.  The furniture pieces are serene and calm.  Yet with the play of scale, these neutral spaces have been transformed to visually stimulating vignettes.


Check out this pair of tall pendants at the office and this pendant from the same series over the dining table.


Love this sight line peeking into the bedroom, and the intricate detail of this simple yet sophisticated pendant.


Again, the store has fun with scale in this bedroom.  There is an oversized mirror on the side, a tall and sculptural bedside table lamp, and I love this round mirror for its organic flair.  


Check out this lounge vignette!  Who wouldn't want to sit down on this stylish chaise, read a book and enjoy a cup of tea?  The grey chair on the right is at regular size.  It looks small doesn't it? That's because all the other pieces are huge!! I love this tour of  Robert Sweep Home Furnishings as the store has definitely inspired me to experience with scale.  Don't be surprised to see something oversized in my projects or at my own place soon!


Here is Part I of my Calgary tour.  Come back this Friday for Part II where I will share with you two other amazing stores I visited.  You won't want to miss it.

5 comments:

  1. What interesting design stores. I loved that gray wallpaper with the yellow table and lamp in front of it - what a gorgeous colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous store. I cannot get over all of the gorgeous pieces, but the lighting is amazing. The pendant light is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tour Tim! I went to college in Alberta and have been missing it as of late ;) Thx for bringing a little taste of this fabulous province to us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for visiting BoConcept and loving it!! Roslyn Ross Owner/Manager BoConcept Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post, I read your full post and that was really very informative and very nice post, You have shared superb pictures and also You have made full of Calgary. Thanks for sharing very informative and beautiful post.

    Carpet Cleaning in Calgary

    ReplyDelete